Sparhawk

[OL - FB2] The Crabby Cyclops

My first ship MOC.

24445608790_dd645e6280_z.jpg

24445609500_02d77afce2_z.jpg

24112974514_04bd3a1b14_z.jpg

she has one large central cannon, two cannon ports towards the aft - with (currently) one smaller cannon and one more signal, close quarters cannon all the way astern.

24112974334_a52ec28734_z.jpg

24623345402_48c242d67c_z.jpg

the cabin has a cot and a table with a map, bottle, and a light fixture.

If anyone has an idea about the class of this ship... I would like to register it, but not sure as what class exactly, thank you

Edited by Garmadon
Downsized Images

Nice ship, Sparhawk. I have taken up the habit of commenting mainly on the maritime aspects, and I shall try to do so here too. pirate_blush.gif

First, I think the overall shape is really good. The long low hull with the nicely integrated cabin and the slightly raised forecaste is great, and having the wheel behind the cabin works rather well. (The shape of the hull with the cabin looks like that of many more modern sailing ships, like clippers or late schooners.)

The bulwarks along the sides are well designed, although I think the would look better in colours similar to the hull. (While brown works really well for the cabin, it seems to me to stand out too much for the bulwarks.)

Generally, a more polished look (more tiles and fewer colours, for instance) would probably improve it, but I understand the problem with limited bricks. pirate_wink.gif

The interior is a nice touch, as is the cargo. I really like your custom cannon, both the middle size one, and the swivel. (Although the mount for the latter seems a little strange, being horisontal.) pirate_satisfied.gif

And to the rigging:

It seems to me that you have rigged her with a fore and aft rig, although it looks a bit strange. I think the reason for this strangeness is that you have made the whole mast turn. I would suggest to first fix the mast, and then fix the boom and gaff (the yards below and above the mainsail, respectively) so that they can turn, and the sail with them. The shrouds and ratlines (that rope ladder thing) should then be on both sides of the mast, as they are what supports it sideways.

I would also move the mast backwards (to about where the big cannon are), as I think it would make it look more balanced. However, with other changes in the rigging, that balance may look different.

A few general pointers:

The mast on a single masted vessel would typically be slightly taller that the length of the hull (unless we are talking very early ship types), and the rigging should be in balance so that the total press of sail would typically be slightly foward of the center of the hull. pirate_blush.gif

By the way, that figurehead is really amusing! pirate_laugh2.gif

Overall nice ship - I hope you can use the above comments! It is meant to be constructive, and will hopefully help you build an even better vessel, should you attempt one again another time! pirate_satisfied.gif

Thanks Bregir... I appreciate the tips. The ship does feel a bit modern to me and I completely agree to the sail issue, I definitely need to rework it, and will do soon

Welcome Sprahawk! Nice job for a first ship! As for suggestions, they already are covered by Bregir. However I do suggest that you can raise the sides of the ship to around 1 brick colour. You can also try to make the colour scheme more consistent. I also recommend doing some research on ship rigging types to get a little more of your sea legs. However, it's always great to see new members joining and We appreciate to have more builds in the future!

Welcome aboard matey! (Oh, wait... you joined Oleon... :grin::pir-wink:)

This is a pretty good start. The long sleek hull is nice and you have some pretty good details. The custom cannon/gun is nice too.

My fellow Corry, Bregir, has already covered the important issues quite well so I won't dwell on them. Match up a few colors, improve the rigging and just polish/clean up the design a little and you'll be making serious progress. :classic:

Edit: I failed to mention that your figurehead is one of the most unique and amusing designs I've ever seen! :laugh: It actually works pretty good and makes for a very creative name.

Edited by Captain Dee

Welcome to BoBS !

Nice ship !

I love this figurehead !

Bregir is right IMO.

His advices concerning rigging in particular are always accurate and should be respected.

What I mean, rigging is the hard part ! Good advice is always welcome !

Funny figurehead!

As keeper of the Index, may I suggest a Class 2 WR?

It has guns, place for cargo and it looks fast so class 2 Well-Round fits the best :)

My suggestion is to place the steering wheel above the hut and not behind it as the captain wouldn't see a thing :p

@Maxim:

Typically, the captain wouldn't be at the wheel. Further, with the low cabin, the helmsman should be able to see the sails from his place at the wheel, which should be all he needs. pirate_blush.gif

I like it. The figure head is an instant classic! Bregir has some good comments re rigging in particular, but this is a fine first ship.

A nice fist ship! I will also agree with our ship expert (although a hated Corrie) more or less. I feel you for the variety of colors due to lack of bricks (LUGBUUUUULK COME SOONER PLZ PLZ PLZ!!!!!). A few fast changes (purely personal opinion) would be to lower the cabin, maybe add another mast if you like and make your own custom sails so they feel more natural. Even if you don.t have any handy cloth to tear, you can always use a sheet of paper. What i really liked in your build, is the custom canons and the variety of cannon ammunition, e.g. canonballs, chainshots, grapeshots (the clip piece)? etc in your crates! It is a fine detail if i may say so. Oh, and the figurehead! That alone makes the MOC one click better! Also since i am not flickr expert (started using it since i joined EB), i cant say how to do it, but your linked pics must be a bit smaller (no idea how they ended up that big though).

Tremble enemies of Oleon! Our fleet-in-being is forming!