Hi everybody!

This is Ulrich von Koehlers ship, The Pelican.

The Pelican is a class 2 Trade ship, it's a cog.

More story will come later!

Heres some pictures:

24441984620_aa066a2cfa_z.jpgSAM_1335.JPG by Tobias Andersson, on Flickr

24711314516_d3ed33e564_z.jpgSAM_1330.JPG by Tobias Andersson, on Flickr

24441981400_69fdee915d_z.jpgSAM_1315.JPG by Tobias Andersson, on Flickr

24644001001_47e2ea17b1_z.jpgSAM_1312.JPG by Tobias Andersson, on Flickr

Enjoy!

Constructive criticism is welcome :)

The front looks good on the first picture, the rigging is good and you got the flags pointing in the right direction.

The anchor looks a bit strange where it is. I think it would look better if you move it forward. The angle on the second picture is not so lucky. I see that the front swings in, but it appears to be square at first glance. The overbuilds is also massive. You could try different slopes (curved or regular), and/or break it up with some texture.

The front looks good on the first picture, the rigging is good and you got the flags pointing in the right direction.

The anchor looks a bit strange where it is. I think it would look better if you move it forward. The angle on the second picture is not so lucky. I see that the front swings in, but it appears to be square at first glance. The overbuilds is also massive. You could try different slopes (curved or regular), and/or break it up with some texture.

Thanks for the good comments :) You've right that the overbuilds would be better with some textures, they look too much like green walls :O I need some practice on ship building techniques x)

Thanks for the good comments :) You've right that the overbuilds would be better with some textures, they look too much like green walls :O I need some practice on ship building techniques x)

Part of the fun is to see the progress. I have built two more ships that I have not posted yet. And I am more satisfied every time. But, I must admit I've been starting from prefab hulls. Mostly because I don't have that many slopes yet. One piece thing at a time (reminds me of a Johnny Cash song) pir_laugh2.gif

Yeah, I can mirror a lot of what Sir Stig has said, as I too am starting out with prefab hull sections. You probably did the scariest thing that any shipbuilder has to contend with...designing and crafting a hull from scratch! I like the hull...a lot. Was there a picture you were working from? I just worry that it is a bit too top heavy...but what do I know. I'm trying to build a Virginia sloop myself and am concerned it's too tall in the rear. Good ship, I hope it has an incredibly prosperous journey this month on the run!

Welcome, Tuben, and what a nice looking cog! We haven't seen many of those early age vessels, and this one is really nice. pirate_satisfied.gif

The best angle is the one where we see it from the side. From the other angles, the fore- and aftcastles are a bit too angular, which I think you could improve, if you try to build a new one at some point. pirate_blush.gif

The hull is nicely shaped, and I like the technique you used. I think it could be improved a bit if you had rounded the angles more, with a flatter angle in the bottom, and a steeper one near the deck, (So the sides near the deck where vertical.) but overall, it is a really nice hull! Custom hulls are always interesting, and I have already seen a lot of different techniques on BoBS, yours included! pirate_blush.gif

The rigging is very nice too, and you have really captured the simple rig of a cog. My only suggestion would be to raise the mast a few bricks, as the sail is currently a bit in the lee of the fore- and aftcastles. pirate_wink.gif

Overall great work - can't wait to see more! pirate_blush.gif

A nice ship. You surely dipped into deep waters with that brickbuilt hull. I am playing it safe for now with the prefabs mainly due to the steep learning curve and the lack of uniformly colored bricks. On your ship design now, i really like your version of hull and rigging as she is a cog but i would like to see fore and aft castle a bit more blended into the hull. Right now they feel as they are a bit off and a simple wave can tear them apart. Green color is not bad too imo as it gives a certain Caribbean.. ehm...Terraversan feel!

Part of the fun is to see the progress. I have built two more ships that I have not posted yet. And I am more satisfied every time. But, I must admit I've been starting from prefab hulls. Mostly because I don't have that many slopes yet. One piece thing at a time (reminds me of a Johnny Cash song) pir_laugh2.gif

Yeah, that's true that the progress is part of the fun! I've recieved "The Brick Bounty" for birthday present, so I will experiment with the prefab hulls too later :) Nice that you mention Johnny Cash, his one of my favorite artists :)

Yeah, I can mirror a lot of what Sir Stig has said, as I too am starting out with prefab hull sections. You probably did the scariest thing that any shipbuilder has to contend with...designing and crafting a hull from scratch! I like the hull...a lot. Was there a picture you were working from? I just worry that it is a bit too top heavy...but what do I know. I'm trying to build a Virginia sloop myself and am concerned it's too tall in the rear. Good ship, I hope it has an incredibly prosperous journey this month on the run!

Thanks for your compliments and thoughts :) I've looked at some pictures of various cogs and ships, both lego ships, real ships and drawn ships :)

Nice ship! Interesting design too! Haven't seen too many cogs on EB like this.

Thank you! :)

Welcome, Tuben, and what a nice looking cog! We haven't seen many of those early age vessels, and this one is really nice. pirate_satisfied.gif

The best angle is the one where we see it from the side. From the other angles, the fore- and aftcastles are a bit too angular, which I think you could improve, if you try to build a new one at some point. pirate_blush.gif

The hull is nicely shaped, and I like the technique you used. I think it could be improved a bit if you had rounded the angles more, with a flatter angle in the bottom, and a steeper one near the deck, (So the sides near the deck where vertical.) but overall, it is a really nice hull! Custom hulls are always interesting, and I have already seen a lot of different techniques on BoBS, yours included! pirate_blush.gif

The rigging is very nice too, and you have really captured the simple rig of a cog. My only suggestion would be to raise the mast a few bricks, as the sail is currently a bit in the lee of the fore- and aftcastles. pirate_wink.gif

Overall great work - can't wait to see more! pirate_blush.gif

Thank you for your post, good comments and thoughts and thanks for the compliments :)

A nice ship. You surely dipped into deep waters with that brickbuilt hull. I am playing it safe for now with the prefabs mainly due to the steep learning curve and the lack of uniformly colored bricks. On your ship design now, i really like your version of hull and rigging as she is a cog but i would like to see fore and aft castle a bit more blended into the hull. Right now they feel as they are a bit off and a simple wave can tear them apart. Green color is not bad too imo as it gives a certain Caribbean.. ehm...Terraversan feel!

Thanks! :) Yeah, you've right it's like the castles and the hull are too much seperated by the colors, and it would be nice with some techniques to blend them together :)

Looks fine!

Thank you :)

Your hull is impressive and has a pretty good form overall, but I truly believe should'd look better without either the fore- or aftcastle. They're both really angular and the overhangs make them both look unstable. They really dominate the design, but not necessarily in the best of ways; they don't really compliment the vessel well to me. Lowering them both and smoothing them up a bit would take some work but it would greatly improve the look. :classic:

The sail position is too low as Bregir mentioned; the towering stern is catching too much of its wind to be fully effective. But the rigging is pretty good overall.

A custom hull is a good start, and with some changes I think you'd have a very fine vessel indeed! Keep it up.

Like others have said, the hull looks pretty sweet but the fore and aft castles dominate the pics. I also think the main problem here is the abrupt color change from hull to castle. Perhaps a matching brown castle with a green striping would have worked better?