3 hours ago, powerwindows83 said:

is there any way to use this kind of setup with yellow springs, or is it kinda impossible to exchange out the springs currently on it with anything else and have it still work anywhere near that well?

You could certainly try. It won't be ideal, but it should still perform quite well. You could also use larger/heavier tires for more weight on the axles and, thus, an easier time flexing with hard yellow shocks.

2 hours ago, PunkTacoNYC said:

It won't be ideal, but it should still perform quite well.

the two biggest issues ive had with these triangulated 4 link setups are that the vehicle doesnt support itself very well in regards to tilting because the spring geometry is always far enough off that it causes the vehicle to flop side to side with little resistance, and the other issue is axle wrap. youve snuck around both of these problems by having a negative unsprung weight thanks to that body style and the motor-on-axle setup, so i guess ill have to study your design a little more and figure out how to optimize it for the massive heavy trail rig chassis i always end up making.

thanks!

As you geared down 5:1, which is the same as the new hubs on 42099, would using those allow the build to be simplified further?

I'm enjoying didumos Rocky crawler but this build looks cool also, it's lighter and won't have the same issues with the turntables differential getting caught up.

Might try building your crawler from (mostly) 42099 parts. I also have the Street Motorcycle set from years ago so I'm part way there for long soft shocks.

Hey @amorti  sorry for the late reply here.  I am just getting to this.  I built this model a few years ago with some modifications and I must say it is excellent.  So much so that I re-built for a second time  Along with the Rocket Crawler (more here with video hopefully soon).  

In a nutshell, one of the most fun Lego builds out there to drive.  Modifications were I did use a planetary hub system (not the same as you proposed, in the video) but kept the original gearing.  Quite fast for a crawler if you do not.  But....a build with the new hubs would be interesting as well.