@PunkTacoNYC this is a very cool MOC and thanks for waking me up from my Technic slumber.  I built one using your instructions. Called it BluCrawler - creative name, I know... Since I only had the LEGO PF IR remote and receiver, which is not that hot, I decided to make my own Bluetooth controller.  Not using SBrick or BuWizz as I wanted to customize using Blynk and write my own sketches in Arduino.  Check it out if interested.

7 hours ago, PlastiBots said:

@PunkTacoNYC this is a very cool MOC and thanks for waking me up from my Technic slumber.  I built one using your instructions. Called it BluCrawler - creative name, I know... Since I only had the LEGO PF IR remote and receiver, which is not that hot, I decided to make my own Bluetooth controller.  Not using SBrick or BuWizz as I wanted to customize using Blynk and write my own sketches in Arduino.  Check it out if interested.

Wow, I just read your article and watched the video. Firstly, I think the crawler looks really cool in blue, it's like my Chilli Crawler's inverse, a Chilly Crawler. Thanks for letting me know that you made it, it makes me glad to entertain people by doing what I love.

And your BTBox... Well that is simply on another level! That is incredible that you just decided to, instead of buying an SBrick or BuWizz, make your own! 

That's beyond impressive.

I'd be interested in seeing if you plan to do anything else with BTBox; perhaps a BTBox 2.0 sometime soon :wink:.

Thanks again.

pt

P.s. Oh, and by the way PlastiBots and everyone else, I will release a video for my new, better crawler hopefully by mid-September, maybe sooner.

Ahhh.. I can't wait to see how you could actually make this thing better!     I've been thinking of a few mods that I want to try.  1) Seeing if a Servo Motor would work for steering (not sure if it has enough torque) 2) beefing up the front beam units that connect the black (forget their names) links to the cab unit.

So, I've done some more mods to BluCrawler:

- Converted drive motors from XL to M Motors and modified the gearing to handle the lower torque of the M's

- In doing so, I've pretty much rebuilt the drive unit.

- Beefed up the (4) connecting link points (to the cab) for both front and back.  Sometimes when crawling they would pop out.  Also beefed up the suspension link mounts.  

- Converted front steering to using the servo motor.  Issue is that it does not provide enough throw, so I've decided to mirror the front and rear drive units.  Both will steer with a servo motor each.  I just finished the unit and am waiting for the new servo motor to arrive.

Will post pics and a video when done.  

14 hours ago, PlastiBots said:

- Converted drive motors from XL to M Motors and modified the gearing to handle the lower torque of the M's

- Beefed up the (4) connecting link points (to the cab) for both front and back.  Sometimes when crawling they would pop out.  Also beefed up the suspension link mounts.  

- Converted front steering to using the servo motor.  Issue is that it does not provide enough throw, so I've decided to mirror the front and rear drive units.  Both will steer with a servo motor each.  I just finished the unit and am waiting for the new servo motor to arrive.

Excited to see your new additions.  Not sure how M motors can improve XL motors.... so excited to be proved wrong  :)   Curious to see your new arrangements for the links.  Mine would also occasionally pop out. 

On 9/1/2017 at 5:38 PM, PunkTacoNYC said:

Wow, I just read your article and watched the video. Firstly, I think the crawler looks really cool in blue, it's like my Chilli Crawler's inverse, a Chilly Crawler. Thanks for letting me know that you made it, it makes me glad to entertain people by doing what I love.

And your BTBox... Well that is simply on another level! That is incredible that you just decided to, instead of buying an SBrick or BuWizz, make your own! 

That's beyond impressive.

I'd be interested in seeing if you plan to do anything else with BTBox; perhaps a BTBox 2.0 sometime soon :wink:.

Thanks again.

pt

P.s. Oh, and by the way PlastiBots and everyone else, I will release a video for my new, better crawler hopefully by mid-September, maybe sooner.

Better??!  Yes, please ... excited to see how. 

On 9/5/2017 at 6:58 AM, PlastiBots said:

Sounds great, I'd like to see the photos and video. I was considering using a Servo motor as it would have required less gearing and therefore theoretically should have been more efficient (less backlash/friction) than the current solution. As you mentioned, though, because the Lego servos are weak relative to those used in actual RC crawlers, we must decide between having high torque and small steering angle or vice versa. Another issue I have found with the servos is that they require constant power to hold their position; at least when they are not in their default position. This means that the servo is taking power away from the drive motors, whereas my solution requires no power to stay in any position, allowing full power to the motors. Until Lego releases a more powerful servo/battery solution, I likely won't use any servos in my larger creations. That being said, I have not yet tried using a servo setup with the BuWizz. The extra voltage and temperature limit will make it less of a strain on the vehicle's other functions.

The M motors are an interesting idea. :thumbup:

pt

My bad.  Correction.  I'm using L Motors.  Would upload pics but the site is limiting me to 30kb pic upload!?   Am I in the 80's? ? I supose it's because I'm a noob...

Some updates.  I've replaced the ball link units with wishbone units to allow for more solid connections between the drive units and the cab.  These are held together using axles and Technic toothed bush sets to make it solid.    I also have some pics of the Servo steering system.. Nothing special there really.  As expected, it does not allow for much throw, so I am mirroring the front and back drive units to allow dual steering..  It's also going to make me think about enhancing BTBox with 4 ports to give me better control over steering modes (i.e. crab steering)!!

I'm maintaining details of changes with more pics on my blog:  BluCrawler. Some teasers below...  Almost there..

IMG_4018.jpg

IMG_4024.jpg

4 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

Man i love rc crawlers.. I think i should try building one.. I wonder if i could make a RC crawler with two XL motors.. 

Absolutely.  XL motors were in the original build.  

These changes are great.... its fun to try and tinker with things.  But using the wishbone pieces instead of the links....that will decrease any chance of side-to-side movement, and only allow up and down.  When climbing, there is very little, but still present, side-to-side movement needed.  So, I think you actually will have less movement in your suspension.....

Re the wishbone pieces..  Not quite..  If you read my write-up, I noted that although the movement is more limited than the ball joint approach, there is still side-to-side movement.  I did this by allowing the thinner side to slide along the axle.  The inherent play between a 1/2 wide unit and an axle + it's ability to slide along the axle provides enough play that I am satisfied.  If you look closely at the pics above, you can see this spacing.  Notice the  beige axles are allowed to side. It sure beats the prior ball connectors coming apart during stressful twisted climbs.

Edited by PlastiBots

I wonder if he'd like to share instructions how to make it. Two motors between the tires is the best setup for crawlers. Also the fact that you can switch from fwd to rwd or awd with a flick of a switch is awesome. (Push the front wheels up with RWD and pull the back wheels up with FWD.)

You can build the original Chili Crawler (see OP).  Unfortunately time is tight these days for me to create instructions. Once I have it complete, I'll post close-up pics. I know it's not ideal.  If I get time, I may take a stab at instructions for the front unit (back is a mirror img of it). FYI - not sure if you are referring to my BluCrawler, but to clarify, I don't yet have the option to switch from FWD to AWD.  If I get time to make a V2 of my BTBox with 4 ports, I'll then be able to do that..  Pretty sure you can already do this with SBrick though..

1 hour ago, PlastiBots said:

Re the wishbone pieces..  Not quite..  If you read my write-up, I noted that although the movement is more limited than the ball joint approach, there is still side-to-side movement.  I did this by allowing the thinner side to slide along the axle.  The inherent play between a 1/2 wide unit and an axle + it's ability to slide along the axle provides enough play that I am satisfied.  If you look closely at the pics above, you can see this spacing.  Notice the  beige axles are allowed to side. It sure beats the prior ball connectors coming apart during stressful twisted climbs.

Gotcha.   Smart.

Hi man (and hi to everybody since this is my first post here), I recently found your builds and simply fell in love with your creation. 

I’m currently working on a lego crawler and got some inspiration from your work. 

I found another cool lego crawler (called mark 3) on the net. It was built by a man called Irom and I’d like to contact him to ask something about the rear link he built. 

Can you please help me to get in contact with him?

Thanks in advance 

Rik

On 5/21/2017 at 2:07 PM, nerdsforprez said:

- Je suis un OCD à propos de friction. Je pense que cela vient du fait que TLG, du quatre, était en garde contre les frictions dans leurs instructions et mon expérience de la construction en tant qu'enfant. Maintenant, à l'âge adulte, je teste mes modèles tout au long du processus de construction afin de détecter les frictions. Si le tristement célèbre 42056 nous avons appris quoi ce soit, ce sont les dangers qui peuvent résulter de trop de friction. 109, sur moi demandait de soulever 5 litres était nécessaire. Is comprends pourquoi il est là ... pour se préparer, mais j'ai passé l'hypothèse que ce ne serait pas nécessaire. Cela était important, lors du test du modèle à ce stade de la construction, il était très difficile de tourner les choses (sans moteur).Des tonnes de friction. Principalement en bras de levage haché affleurant les deux engrenages biseautés. J'ai donc éliminé ce bras élévateur - et… pas de problèmes. Pas de saut des vitesses, etc. Cela permet beaucoup plus de puissance aux roues avant. 

capture d'écran

You have a photo of the modification, thank you

Edited by Seb84

@Seb84 Welcome to EuroBricks, just a friendly reminder, this is an English speaking forum. We understand if English is not your first language but please try your best. Check out this page for the site rules.
Regardless, nice crawler, looks like it could climb a
mountain.

Edited by MxWinters

26 minutes ago, MxWinters said:

@ Seb84 Bienvenue à EuroBricks, un rappel amical, il s’agit d’un forum anglophone.
Quoi qu'il en soit, belle chenille, on dirait qu'elle pourrait gravir une
montagne.

Sorry 

3 hours ago, MxWinters said:

@Seb84 Welcome to EuroBricks, just a friendly reminder, this is an English speaking forum. We understand if English is not your first language but please try your best. Check out this page for the site rules.
Regardless, nice crawler, looks like it could climb a
mountain.

Yes, given that it was my post that was referred to in a non English language (I only speak English and Spanish), i cant respond.  Sorry.

5 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Yes, given that it was my post that was referred to in a non English language (I only speak English and Spanish), i cant respond.  Sorry.

You have a photo of the modification, thank you

is there any way to use this kind of setup with yellow springs, or is it kinda impossible to exchange out the springs currently on it with anything else and have it still work anywhere near that well?