Sign in to follow this  
CM4Sci

[MOC] Macy's Mace Dragon

Hi everyone!

I'm super excited for Nexo Knights, it's probably one of my favorite themes already. While we were discussing the theme in the Nexo Knights thread, someone suggested Macy (the red knight) could have a mace-tailed dragon. So I made my own version of it! As usual, I try to make my MOCs look like real LEGO sets.

I apologize in advance for the photos, Bluerender's lighting can be a tiny bit shoddy and the bright blue was probably a bad choice. :tongue:

24342051619_32b8148895_b.jpg

The minifigures I decided to include are Macy, a Flame Thrower, two Globlins, and a Scurrier. The entire set is 376 bricks, probably less if I were to build this physically due to the shield and Scurrier pieces not exisiting in LDD. Also, some of the leg joints would be built differently with new pieces. I believe they work for now. :sweet: Macy's shield and mace are both "temporary" builds.

24684236706_a5088b2dcf_b.jpg

The dragon has rotating stud shooters on each wing. The build is replaced because, again, no pieces in LDD. I'm sure if I were to build this physically I'd have to alter the end a bit, somehow add a knob that can be turned to shoot the studs.

24592190552_6229670dc7_b.jpg

I tried making the dragon look as robotic as I could, so there's silver and all sorts of trans-neon reddish-orange bits. Macy's shield can be fit on the back with the two studs on the back of the shield. Her mace can be placed next to the beginning of the tail. Which, is the main reason I built this, the mace tail! It's hard to build a good enough looking tail that isn't too big and can be swung around to knock the enemy monsters off their feet! :tongue:

24083476483_73855ef85d_b.jpg

The monsters get a small Globlin catapult that can move around on its 3 legs. :devil:

24342434019_f12a6d864c_b.jpg

That's it for now, thanks for viewing! If you have any suggestions for some more Nexo Knights MOCs I could make, feel free to suggest them! Comments are greatly appreciated too. :grin:

Nice, but it seems very small. The tail looks rather awkward. Maybe you could use CCBS pieces rather than technic ones? That'd allow for better armoring of the tail while still keeping the function. For getting the stud shooters to work, I'd suggest connecting them only by the center part. This allows you to twist the outer part to fire it while not requiring any messy gearing. I also feel it needs a little more tr. neon orange on the body and is a little too skeletal to fit with the Nexo Knights look. The mixel joints you used for the wing connection seem unlikely to be capable of supporting that much weight.

I thought you'd be the first to reply. :tongue:

Nice, but it seems very small. The tail looks rather awkward. Maybe you could use CCBS pieces rather than technic ones? That'd allow for better armoring of the tail while still keeping the function.

It's aimed to be a $20-$30 set so yeah I made it kind of small. I've never made dragons in LDD before, I based this off of the Ninjago ones. The tail.. yeah that makes sense, I can see how that'd be better.

I also feel it needs a little more tr. neon orange on the body and is a little too skeletal to fit with the Nexo Knights look. The mixel joints you used for the wing connection seem unlikely to be capable of supporting that much weight.

I didn't wanna overdo it, but looking at the Fortrex next to me, you're kind of right. Maybe one of those big banners could be the Nexo version of the flag that's usually on the Ninjago dragons? The lighting on Bluerender isn't the best, and it doesn't really show the bright, neon-ness (is that a word?) of the actual parts. There's two axe blades after the neck that look black, I wish I could make them stand out more. I don't know how I can improve the wing joints.

Looks like I've got to redo the whoooole thing. Thanks for your comments, though! :grin:

Personally, I'd try to avoid making it too similar to Ninjago. Try just going back to the basic idea of a dragon (head, tail, legs, wings/other flight system, etc.), taking a bunch of parts, part combinations or motifs suitable for Nexo Knights-ish building and using those to fill in the aforementioned components. For example, I gave my dragon the same sort of eyes as the squirebots.

The tail is really small and makes the entire dragon look odd. But it does have feel of an official Lego set, and I like that. And this is probably the most unusual render I've ever seen. :laugh:

I'd say it's a good start. Extending the tail would definitely improve the proportions. Also, since this is Nexo Knights, maybe no something more futuristic-y with it? I'm thinking jet engines on the wings.

Or make it transform into a vehicle like the Robo Horse. That'd be neat to see.

(also, pet peeve of mine: arms don't bend like knees. The joint goes back, not forward ;) )

This is pretty cool. Though personally to make it less like Ninjago dragons. Design the head so that it acts as the cockpit where the knight sits in. (Kinda like Power Rangers/Super Sentai Mechs.

Edited by Takanuinuva

This is nice—a great size and overall shape, and amazing functions as well. But one minor criticism—there seem to be an awful lot of curved slopes. While curved slopes aren't entirely absent from the Nexo Knights vehicles, they seem to opt for harder angles in most cases. Perhaps you could, for instance, replace some of the curved slopes on the wings with flat tiles, cheese slopes, or even parts like 61409. Don't forget that you can leave space for Nexo-licious parts like the 2x3 shield tile or 1x1 pyramid slope, as well!

Ooh nice job! I might have a go at making a Nexo Dragon sometime. I must admit when thinking of Nexo Knights, and being a big dragon fan, I do wonder how long until we see a techno dragon of some sort appear in Nexo Knights.

Cool! However, the wings look a bit odd. I'm not sure if it's angled or what... But it's looks substantial, good work!

Edited by gamejutzu