Nom Carver

[MOC] Old school X-wing

With the upcoming of new x wings, its natural that most of you may not be too interested in this style, but I actually have an issue with the trend of TLC to make the sets bigger, it may be only nostalgia for the old school style, but I liked the scale they had back then, it wasnt all about accuracy but sturdiness with the overall appearance of the source material, somehow like the figs them selves: with some silliness to them, I actually have the latest one (not Poe's) and yet I consider this one to be more swooshable and practical to play with even if it lacks the opening/closing mechanism, yet it has some other features, besides, light bluish gray and bright red are a fantastic combination, and the greatest part of it (for me) is that it was made with spare parts.

24068741954_c284544cc1.jpg1 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

Just as any other x wing has, it can close its "s-foils".

24329205759_3361a09d76.jpg14 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

It has a simple retracting landing gear.

24579107502_7a5cbd8055.jpg17 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

I had to figure out a solution around the common engine/thrusters brick, yet these ended looking fine enough, it can also fit R2 and a pilot.

24670663076_6e96929bd7.jpg21 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

And it also can fire two proton torpedoes concealed under the fuselage with the new launcher bricks.

24579112852_f401239bc7.jpg15 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

Which are triggered from behind.

24329201799_2b0dddb270.jpg16 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

More pics and other creations on my flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/75591405@N05/sets/

C&C are welcome, thanks for your attention, I hope you like it :classic: .

Erase this one please :blush: .

I never had the original X-Wing but always adored it's classic look and you perfectly captured that. Even with all the extra detail and building technices, it still feels classic, and thats great! Good Job! :classic:

trend of TLC to make the sets bigger

I think its the other way around (see Turbo Tank...) :grin:

Wow this is fantastic. I have a lot of love and nostalgia for the original 7140 set, and you've made some fun and sleek upgrades to the look of that model. In particular I like the integration of the landing gear, the cutesy proportions of those engines, and the spring-loaded missiles built in.

Now rebuild it with old gray, and then we'll really be talking! :tongue:

Thanks guys for your comments.

I think its the other way around (see Turbo Tank...) :grin:

You are right in certain sets (MTT & ATT) but that is what it makes it more annoying.

Now rebuild it with old gray, and then we'll really be talking! :tongue:

I am afraid that is not going to happen because I have undergone a "new order" on my brick assortment (gave away to a young relative all my old worn out bricks) :wink: .

Wow Im definitely making this! I previously made a resistance x wing using tge classic base, I might upload it.

I love the way this looks. It definitely captures the feel of the early sets while making good use of new pieces. I think I may have to try my hand at a few ships like this.

Very useful. I'm going to use the landing gear idea on my classic t70, if you don't mind.

what this is thing is missing to make it truly classic, is to put an opening hatch on the nose for the pilot to put their gear or light saber in. that's what really makes me love the classic.

what this is thing is missing to make it truly classic, is to put an opening hatch on the nose for the pilot to put their gear or light saber in. that's what really makes me love the classic.

Yeah, but is that piece available in light bley???

I have only been collecting for a few years, but I find myself appreciating the "old school" look and builds to most of the modern builds for exactly the same reason you give. I am not a fan of just throwing stuff on a model just for the sake of doing it. Bricks, plates and slopes. While I am new to moc, this is definetly "my" style. I really appreciate this and look forward to more.

Very useful. I'm going to use the landing gear idea on my classic t70, if you don't mind.

Of course you can! I am glad to be helpful.

I am afraid that the brick necessary for that is not available in my spares.

I have only been collecting for a few years, but I find myself appreciating the "old school" look and builds to most of the modern builds for exactly the same reason you give. I am not a fan of just throwing stuff on a model just for the sake of doing it. Bricks, plates and slopes. While I am new to moc, this is definetly "my" style. I really appreciate this and look forward to more.

If you liked this one take a look at my imperial shuttle, I did sort of the same thing with it, by the way, welcome to EB!

20270756941_e5e7836865.jpg03 by Nom Carver, en Flickr

I think you did a far better job on the X wing, maybe because that set was already quite good. The first Shuttle, on the other hand, wasn't very good, but you've made it look pretty good. :thumbup:

Like the shuttle! Not fancy, but you know exactly what it is without being overdone. Basic bricks. One thing that bothers me ( not your model, just in general) is the one brick wing and the two plate wings. Is it that hard to do all brick wings? I will need to try that myself and find out.

I see that you made the x wing in LDD also, so can we download that file at all?

I haven't uploaded it but it's pretty intuitive, there is not much complexity to it, give it a try and come back if you have any questions.

I haven't uploaded it but it's pretty intuitive, there is not much complexity to it, give it a try and come back if you have any questions.

Okay (not ok-ey) doke, still would like that file though, really bas when it comes to MOCs.

Can an LXF file be uploaded directly here? otherwise it won't be happening, I dont have account on brickshelf or other site to store it.

Nom; If Lego did a "Star Wars - Retro" line of sets (with a correspondingly lower parts count) ; I`d be buying them if they looked as good as yours and they would probably be much more affordable than some of the over-priced sets we are currently getting...keep up the good work!

Edited by r5-j2