Reputator

[MOC] TIE Imposer

What is a TIE Imposer you ask? Well, this:

3Ttet6Lh.jpg

S6Ifu1Lm.jpg nRWTGT1m.jpg Lxz3z4um.jpg dj0zaWFm.jpg

So, obviously something completely made up! That's what it looks like in its combat mode. This is its flight mode:

bb9VESYh.jpg

GLJhZ1Qm.jpg RDlffAsm.jpg 7sWdRgOm.jpg

I also made a video, which is easier than reading! (please pardon the amatuer style)

The design of this was obviously heavily inspired by Kylo Ren's Command Shuttle, as well as possibly an enemy from Galaga or something? Not sure. I originally sketched out the wing shape on a piece of scrap paper while bored at work, then filled the rest in when I started designing.

For those who can't watch the video for whatever reason, I'll recap some things. The "transforming" feature of the wings is facilitated by those heavy-duty ratcheted technic joints typically in use in things like the AT-AT. So they hold very well, but make for a somewhat strenuous movement (for the model especially). The side guns are using locking turntables, the large brick-sized sort that come available in a few more colors than just black and white but are somewhat hard to come by. The hull itself uses much of the same build as the Advanced Prototype 75082 set, with some colors switched out. The knob-turning missile-firing feature has been retained, much like with my TIE Interceptor, although extended quite a bit further back. And yes, it's swooshable!

Fanon Backstory (If anyone cares)

The TIE “Imposer” mk2 was an early prototype starfighter produced approximately two years after the Empire’s defeat at Endor. It was developed as a long-range pursuit and assault craft ideal for tracking fugitive individuals of interest, or as an early response to insurgencies. Rumored by some to be commissioned for Darth Vader himself, it was thought to be a successor to his signature Advanced TIE, though a working unit never surfaced in time before his demise. Only one functioning prototype was known to exist.

Like many of the Empire’s designs, the Imposer was built to instill fear in its adversaries. The wing-shape served more to create a threatening profile than for any practical purpose, while its impressive firepower belied its humble TIE visage, utilizing rapid-fire laser cannons that took cues from the infamous bounty hunter vessel Slave I, as well as proton torpedo armaments.

In most respects this prototype resembled other TIE in looks and name only. While it could serve to spearhead TIE attack formations during skirmishes, it was less ideal in chaotic dogfights than a standard Fighter or Interceptor due to its greater mass and lower maneuverability. In sheer speed, however, it’s unmatched. It abandoned the signature twin ion thrusters in favor of a single massive ion engine, which in addition to its hyperdrive made it the perfect craft for pursuit missions. Another departure from the standard TIE was the presence of a life-support system, allowing for longer-term deployment and autonomy, as well as shields.

Although work into the design process had moved to advanced stages, it was a victim of untimely circumstance making it ultimately obsolete. Plans for it were scrapped as the Empire refocused its strategy to a more defensive stance in the difficult years after the Rebels’ victory and subsequent dissolution into the New Republic. It is not known if the prototype ever saw combat, and there are no reports of any sightings of the ship in use. Though some speculate such sightings left few survivors to tell the tale...

OBLIGATORY CHEESY PHOTOSHOPPED ACTION SHOT

Upp3p7Vh.jpg

Now before anyone asks....

HERE'S THE LDD FILE!

(click the download button at the top of the page)

Thanks for looking! :grin:

Edited by Reputator

Interesting design for sure. But honestly I dont think this fits the Empire in any way shape or form.

Just looks weird since the Empire design is often/most of the times blocky and agressive in contrast to those smoothed and rounded out wing panels and their angle. Would have been interesting to see them in a V-Shape like Kylo Rens Shuttle.

That. Is. Awesome ! Loving the shape of this one, that engine looks like a beast. The ship almost seems like it's built for atmospheric patrols/combat. And the red (?) stripe panels give it a 'elite' look

Ha, just read the 'backstory' and that blows my theory put the window : )

Edited by miles teg

I was never a Tie fan, but since I got my UCS Vader's Tie Advanced, Its growing on me. I have 3 Tie's now. I like your Moc. Reminds me of Owl swooping in for its prey. Your guns look similar to my E-Wing guns so I like that too :)

This looks great, very reminiscent of the EU TIE Predator. I'd love to see it in combat against Tyutyu's E-Wing.

Edited by bootz

Interesting design for sure. But honestly I dont think this fits the Empire in any way shape or form.

Just looks weird since the Empire design is often/most of the times blocky and agressive in contrast to those smoothed and rounded out wing panels and their angle. Would have been interesting to see them in a V-Shape like Kylo Rens Shuttle.

I can see what you mean. The wings are capable of going straight up. I can take a picture if you're interested enough.

I really really like this mate - great work. Kinda reminds me of a how the TIE Predator should have looked.

The struts/pylons have nice shape to them, the red flashes give it an extra bit of style, and the angle and shape of the wings is very Star Wars. More photos of the wings up and in other positions would be greatly appreciated.

In fact, I may just build this (or something based on it) to add to my TIE fleet.

Nice one :)

Edited by belkor

Thanks for all the positive comments everyone!

I've uploaded a new version of the LDD file with some improvements to the strength and stability of the wing attachments, having played with the thing for a while now and seeing what works and what doesn't. The external appearance hasn't been affected much. So if you've already downloaded it, you'll want to do it again (same link above) to get the updated version.

Edited by Reputator

Wowzers! Lookin great! Love the judicious use of the new TIE canopy. Though you mad it up, I think it looks better than some of the more official TIE variants. (Some of those are straight-up weird, man).

Loving the design!!! Good concept idea very creative. Well done! I especially love the single engine at the back. I hope you make more mocs would love to see them!

On 8-2-2017 at 11:01 AM, Red_5 said:

This looks awesome man, and very well designed. Excellent work.

Please don't bump a year old topic, just to mention it's awesome. 

On 1/30/2016 at 4:52 AM, BigEl said:

You must not be familiar with anything Imperial related from the Old EU. There were quite a few innovative and graceful designs uitlized.

The ship looks great and I'm a sucker for ships that actually take stability into question!

Edited by Helghan
clarity