Admonisher

[MOD] Millennium Falcon microfighter (75030)

I don't really collect the microfighter line, but I couldn't resist snapping up one of my favorite Star Wars vehicles, the Millennium Falcon (75030). I just loved the concept of having this iconic vessel in something like chibi form! And then I started to tinker. And tinker some more. About a dozen iterations later, here is the final result:

IUlmwXHh.jpg

For reference, here's the before...

8AWeBMd.jpg

And the after...

9NeMuEll.jpg

I am calling this a MOD, since the official set was clearly the starting point. But much of the structure and many of the details have been entirely changed. Notably:

* Minifig seat replaced by scale cockpit. (Tricky SNOT work, as I wanted it to be angled top AND bottom.)

* Flick-fire missiles replaced by scale "gun turret" (dish and binoculars).

* Starboard hatch added, same position and scale as port hatch.

* Radar dish moved forward to more closely resemble original proportions.

* Entirely new SNOT engine array.

* New underside with actual landing gear.

* Many dark bley parts replaced with light bley. Minor tan accents added.

* Reworked area between mandibles, sloping symmetrically on both dorsal and ventral sides.

* Custom-built stand. And Chewbacca, because it's just not the Falcon without Chewbacca!

Here are some additional angles. Needless to say, this thing is highly swooshable! :laugh:

BMt4I9lm.jpgB7xGof6m.jpg

X5GqRWum.jpgfhslpwjm.jpg

YtELWYgm.jpgAgrluLem.jpg

CuTPvQym.jpgGaivhbom.jpg

Here's a better look at the new SNOT engines. Incredibly basic, but it works beautifully!

PI3vBNcl.jpg

And one final angle on the whole package together:

d1LNEeKl.jpg

EDIT - For anyone (like LEGODrongo01 below) who would like some assistance making a similar MOD, here is a LDR file that I made using LDCad. Just click the image:

u2lWeMrm.jpg

EDIT 2 - Model updated with the NEW 2016 "Light Bluish Gray Plate, Round Half 3 x 6 with 1 x 2 Cutout" from 75136 Droid Escape Pod. This replaces the two 3x3 plates with curve for a rounder contour. (I also replaced most of the dark bluish gray plates with light bluish gray.)

c2DtOQhl.jpg

4NQS90wl.jpg

Edited by Admonisher

Gee, that's wonderful? Any instructions on this? I want to get one and MOD it in a similar fashion.

Gee, that's wonderful? Any instructions on this? I want to get one and MOD it in a similar fashion.

That's very flattering! I don't have any instructions, but I've added a LDR file (made with LDCad) to my original post. I can also offer a few "exploded" views that perhaps will help:

[EDIT - That tan 1x1 plate sticking out in the below two pics is in the wrong place! It popped off and I wasn't paying attention when I clipped it back on. It ought to go NEXT to the light bley 1x1 plate, not below it.]

zJBGVbAl.jpg

21jillTl.jpg

Most of the mods are pretty straightforward. The center forward section is mounted on a 1x2/4x4 bracket that sits under a 1x2 door rail plate, which in turn is under a 2x2 plate with center stud (to hold the dish/binoculars). The trickiest part is the cockpit. Here's a closer view of that:

BrF8nuRl.jpg

You'll note that the plates and brackets between the double cheese slopes are positioned base-to-base and are not connected to each other directly. The fact that the cockpit piece grips both brackets is what holds them together. This would be horribly fragile, EXCEPT for the fact that the surrounding pieces lock them into place without any possibility of movement, especially the dark bley angled plate as seen (detached from the underside) here:

lSR5H14l.jpg

This is an unconventional technique, but it seemed to be the best way to get the shape I wanted. And as I say, once all the pieces are locked into place, it's as solid as a rock.

Good luck with your build!

Edited by Admonisher

It looks fantastic for its chibi size!

Thanks very much! I'll take that as high praise, given the extraordinary attention to detail in your AT-AT thread! :classic:

In response to LEGODrongo01's request, I have added a LDR file (made with LDCad) to the bottom of the main post. If it gives anyone trouble, please let me know!

Edited by Admonisher

In response to LEGODrongo01's request, I have added a LDR file (made with LDCad) to the bottom of the main post. If it gives anyone trouble, please let me know!

Thanks for spending the time to make a lovely file for us!

I know I called this project "final," but I was inspired to revise it based on the appearance of a useful part from 75136 Droid Escape Pod that is NEW in light blue gray! Namely, the round half 3 x 6 plate with 1 x 2 cutout:

18646.jpg

I pilfered two of these from 75136 (without doing major damage) and used them to replace the four 3x3 curved plates I had been using. The new part gives the back of the Falcon a more accurate circular contour. It also exposed more of the dark bley I'd been using underneath, so I went ahead and "recolored" the model with more light bley. (Another side-effect of the part swap: those who want to restore the cheese slopes to the back rim of the Falcon can now do so -- though I felt they made it look a little too "busy," personally.)

I've updated the main post with the results, but here's a quick look:

c2DtOQhm.jpg4NQS90wm.jpg

Bonus droids vignette!

t97rD48m.jpg

Edited by Admonisher