Admonisher

[MOC] Grand Admiral Thrawn & Captain Pellaeon

Now that the old Star Wars Expanded Universe is officially defunct, it seems highly unlikely that we'll ever get an actual minifig of fan-favorite Grand Admiral Thrawn. Like many people, however, I saw the possibility for a satisfying "purist" custom version of the character (overlooking the rank pips, of course) when the exclusive Yularen figure came out last year. Since then I've since seen numerous variations on this idea, but I thought I'd try my own hand at it. Thrawn's head is Cad Bane, while Pellaeon is Yularen's head on the Star Destroyer captain's body from 75055. I wanted the design of the uniforms to match, and these do! The rest of the vignette is very minimalist, with a window borrowed from 75093. (And yes, I realize that the gold epaulets on Thrawn are not mentioned in the novels, and that there is some debate about gloves. I decided to use the original novel covers as my inspiration.)

usUYIDDh.jpg

EDIT: Updated with official Thrawn minifigure plus black boots:

0FkHcnYh.jpg

OujXnUVh.jpg

Edited by Admonisher

Now that the old Star Wars Expanded Universe is officially defunct, it seems highly unlikely that we'll ever get an actual minifig of fan-favorite Grand Admiral Thrawn.

If you'll permit me a slightly off-topic response, there is a rumor from a pretty credible source that he may be returned to the canon via Rebels.

http://makingstarwars.net/2016/01/rumor-the-largest-cameo-in-star-wars-rebels-chistory/

But your own minifig is certainly satisfactory in the meantime!

Thanks! I had not heard that rumor, but it would certainly be nice! Thrawn is too good of a character not to resurrect in some form or other.

Nice little vignette! I like the chair a lot. I also thought Yularen's head would make a perfect Pellaeon...

In the novel "Aftermath", there's a mysterious Operator who gives some tips to the New Republic regarding Imperial matters, and at the end you find out he's a fleet admiral looking to excise the weak elements in the remaining Empire, to leave a stronger core. Some of his plans, and the fact that when another character approaches him to speak he has them wait until the music he's listening to has finished, make him sound pretty Thrawn-like. We wouldn't find out his identity until July's 2nd installment at the earliest (unless they leak it early), but it might tie into Rebels in that way... especially since--planned or not--Rebels had a nice bit of synergy with the comics this week, with the latest Kanan comic hitting Wednesday morning, featuring Caleb & Master Billaba being rescued by Mandalorian pilots including Skull Leader, Fenn Rau, and then the new episode of Rebels Wednesday night features...Fenn Rau! And Kanan mentions to him that Fenn saved his life on Mygeeto years ago.

Anyhoo, point being, they've now linked a new character between the show & the comics, so having Thrawn turn up in a book and then we see him in the show, years earlier, might not be so far-fetched... and if he's in the show, there's a decent chance Lego might make a minifig out of him! (hopefully, if it happens, both the show and Lego will use a proper Grand Admiral badge--tho I'm not confident he'll be a "Grand Admiral" at the time of Rebels... the Yularen torso is a great white uniform print, but the badge doesn't really fit for a GA)

Thanks, Venkefedo! Very interesting connections, and I look forward to seeing what comes of it!

Glad you like the chair. It's very loosely inspired by the chair from the Thrawn Trilogy comics adaptations. (Plus, I had a lot of leftover tan slopes from my reduced-scale MOD of 75093! :tongue: ) Other MOC-ers have done more faithful renditions, but I wound up wanting something smaller that would fit with the desktop scale of the vignette.

Edited by Admonisher

I am a huge fan of Thrawn and you have done an excellent job with this minifigure!

Thrawn is such an excellent character. The quintessential Star Wars-esque bad guy: devious yet awesome and likeable. His powerful mind for tactics would be an excellent compliment to the brute force nature of Kylo Ren.

I might have to pick up a Cad Bane at some point, though I would hate to dismantle my Yularen ;)

Thrawn is such an excellent character. The quintessential Star Wars-esque bad guy: devious yet awesome and likeable. His powerful mind for tactics would be an excellent compliment to the brute force nature of Kylo Ren.

I might have to pick up a Cad Bane at some point, though I would hate to dismantle my Yularen ;)

Or you can get the new Rebels Battle Front pack, it has a lighter blue version of a Duros which is what Cad Bane is. The colors wouldn't be as close but it'd be a lot cheaper.

Or you can get the new Rebels Battle Front pack, it has a lighter blue version of a Duros which is what Cad Bane is. The colors wouldn't be as close but it'd be a lot cheaper.

Yes, the new Rebels battle pack is definitely an option, provided you don't mind the horizontal line through the eyes. If you decide to go for the older Cad Bane head, be sure to get the version without the facial tech! I got mine -- the head alone, not the entire minifigure -- for just a few dollars on eBay.

The colors might actually be closer with the new BP Duros, as far as the blue (tho the Duros/Niemoidian lines on the eyes are a problem for Chiss)... I think HTTE, the book, just described his skin as having a blueish tint pointing to him being "not quite human", along with his glowing red eyes, rather than being a deep blue like the Cad Bane heads (while his hair was blue-black). I've got a mockup stashed somewhere in my Lego bins of a blank light blue head & matching hands, a gold epaulets piece, and a blank white torso...just haven't gotten around to printing out decals!

Oh man, this is great. Now all you need is to add Rukh lurking somewhere in the back!

Ha! I did think about attempting Rukh. Short legs, plus a simple tunic, hood and dagger would probably suffice. A "purist" Noghri head would be difficult, but I was considering Chima crocodiles (for the "needle teeth") and gorillas (for the squashed, upturned nose). In the end, though, I decided that Rukh's place was skulking in the shadows, and my little build is just too small for shadows! :grin:

I cannot say how much I absolutely love this! It makes me want to find a Yularen mini figure on brick link or ebay.

That is a brilliant way to depict those charters without custimization. As a Thrawn Trilogy fan you did a great job!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! I want to add that I find using an 8x5 base for builds like this very aesthetically pleasing. The proportion is 1.6:1, which is close to the "Golden Ratio" of 1.618:1, and it seems to be ideal for showcasing two-figure vignettes. I used the same base size for Gollum & Bilbo Baggins and Sherlock Holmes & Dr. Watson, and I think they look rather nice lined up on the shelf together. :classic:

KYfcJNtl.jpg

Edited by Admonisher

I think the figure looks amazing but I do prefer the original window piece over the Rebel Tie Fighter cockpit piece. It just fits them being on a station or ship better buy thats just my preference.