Sign in to follow this  
Chilly_Productions

Is It Still Worth Getting The 2015 Toa?

I didn't get many Bionicle sets last year, but I am planning to get more in 2016. Is it worth it to get the 2015 Toa or should I just skip them? I'm going to get the Mask Maker vs. Skull Grinder, mainly for the small version of Ekimu and the Mask of Creation in pearl/gold. Are there any other 2015 sets I should get before I get on with 2016?

Depends on your preferences.

I, personally, think the 2015 Toa look better than the 2016 ones. But if you don't mind the 2016 Toa's looks and all they have to offer, then by all means get them. Plus, they have the Unity Modes with the Creatures. And I don't know if you really desire two sets of the same characters.

In regards to 2015 sets in general, the Protectors are all pretty great. But aside from that, Lord of Skull Spiders is lackluster and the Skull Villains leave something to be desired.

My personal favorites from the year are Onua (one of my favorite BIONICLE sets, period), Tahu, Protector of Earth, and Protector of Water, and Skull Basher as well as the aforementioned MMvsSG from the summer side.

I would say some of the 2015 Toa are worth getting for the diversity alone; while 2016 has done a great job in the build department, the core parts are the same, so there's a lot of similarity. 2015 had more personality for each individual Toa, although the three smaller Toa (Gali, Lewa, and Pohatu) are generally not worth your time in terms of features and construction.

If you want the 2015 Toa, get them. If you don't, don't.

I will say that you might still be able to find a lot of them on clearance at this point. If you think you might ever want the 2015 Toa, now's the time to act on that, because once they're gone the price will almost surely begin to rise again. The 2016 sets will remain available for a good year or so, so there's really no rush to pick those up.

If you can, absolutely. They're great sets and I like them more than 2016's Toa. Luckily the main Bionicle sets aren't hard to find, so you could probably find them at discount stores one day and slowly build the team without breaking the bank.

Yes, absolutely. The 2015 Bionicle sets are the pinnacle of constraction figure design. You would be missing out if you passed on them.

Yeah I would say get them. While the 2016 toa have cooler gimmicks, with the Uniter forms, the 2015 toa, are more unique and have this simplicity that 2016 doesn't have. They look great together and with all the other sets, man what a great lineup. Legoshop@home had like the entire winter wave 50% off earlier in the year, so you could try and see if they have any left.

If you want them, sure. My personal favorite is onua, but all 6 are good. I'd recommend any.

Umarak alone is better than all of the 2015 lineup. Yet, sets like Onua and Protector of Earth still make last year shine.

In general I find that the sets from this year are far more interesting to build and look at, since they have much more things going on (one word: shoulders). But as many people here seem to do, it's understandable to prefer the much more streamlined look of the Masters.

In short: if you like creative buildings and a feeling as close as possible to classic BIONICLE, stick with this year and buy just the very best from 2015 (Onua, PoE, Kopaka). If you are a CCBS lover, last year we probably saw the best the system has to offer. Get all of them until you can if that's the case.

Here are the ones I've found, I still haven't ordered any of them yet.

Protector of Stone: Amazon (Out of stock until February)

Protector of Water: John Lewis (More than 10 in stock)

Protector of Ice: Shop@Home (Temporarily out of stock), John Lewis (More than 10 in stock)

Protector of Fire: Shop@Home (Temporarily out of stock)

Protector of Jungle: None within the retail price

Protector of Earth: None within the retail price

The Protector of Fire should be back in stock soon, unless Lego is using the wrong tag, which is unlikely, but knowing Lego...

Can anyone help me find the others in the UK? I repeat, IN THE UK. I've had people say where to find the sets without listening to the "in the UK" part.

Have you tried Smyths? Online and instore, I have a branch by me that still has a couple of Hero Factory sets lying about. Smaller shops also tend to hold stock for longer too.

Have you tried Smyths? Online and instore, I have a branch by me that still has a couple of Hero Factory sets lying about. Smaller shops also tend to hold stock for longer too.

I found the Protector of Stone at Smyth's, but that's the easiest set to find.

I would definitely get whoever your favourite Toa is and at least 2 of the 3 larger Toa. Out of the 3 smaller Toa, Lewa and/or Gali. I'd skip Pohatu unless you really like his character.

Out of the Protectors, I'd get 2-3 of them you like the best since they're fairly similar to each other.

Get Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder, but I'm not sure if you should get the other 4 Skull sets. Maybe one of them.

As for the rest, I'd save up my resoureces for the 2016 line.

Edited by Shakar

Depends what you're after. I'd get some '15 Toa for the pieces, except Pohatu seeing at his '16 version is the best '16 Toa IMO, Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder is a must, some Protectors are cool (Jungle, Stone and Earth are standouts) and one or two Skull Villains.

Skull Villains depends what you're after.

Warrior is a safe bet, good parts, though the mask is the same as Grinder.

Slicer has a skull spider mask, but 4 arms and looks gnarly, though that part's subjective.

Basher is the most solid, though he has a love/hate gimmick with his arms. Also not many unique pieces due to Onua '16.

Scorpio sacrifices articulation for an awesome function and has rare pieces like the Bull Skull mask and the ripcage in trans-neon green which hasn't shown up in 2016.

Depends what you're after. I'd get some '15 Toa for the pieces, except Pohatu seeing at his '16 version is the best '16 Toa IMO, Mask Maker vs Skull Grinder is a must, some Protectors are cool (Jungle, Stone and Earth are standouts) and one or two Skull Villains.

Skull Villains depends what you're after.

Warrior is a safe bet, good parts, though the mask is the same as Grinder.

Slicer has a skull spider mask, but 4 arms and looks gnarly, though that part's subjective.

Basher is the most solid, though he has a love/hate gimmick with his arms. Also not many unique pieces due to Onua '16.

Scorpio sacrifices articulation for an awesome function and has rare pieces like the Bull Skull mask and the ripcage in trans-neon green which hasn't shown up in 2016.

The Trans. Fluor. Green ribcage is appearing in Umarak the Destroyer this summer. Still, Scorpio's not as bad a set as some people make him out to be, and the Titanium Metallic spider leg pieces seem to be remaining exclusive to him. Skull Warrior's mask is also a different color than Skull Grinder's (Titanium Metallic as opposed to Silver Metallic). All in all I think all the Skull Villains bring something interesting to the table, but keep in mind that as more recent sets, they're likely to remain on store shelves for several more months, and it might be worth waiting for some more substantial discounts.

Aww, why the hate for pohatu '15? I actually really like that set and would definitely recommend it, nice color, a basic but effective build, and boomerangs! But it is subjective.

Plus the dark orange shells! I've bought like six copies of that set by now. Such a good one, whereas I haven't picked up the new Pohatu and its the only one I haven't and probably won't.

Aww, why the hate for pohatu '15? I actually really like that set and would definitely recommend it, nice color, a basic but effective build, and boomerangs! But it is subjective.

This. Pohatu '15 may have been a little too vanilla compared to sets like Onua or Kopaka, but he definitely was one of the best looking ones. His '16 form has very few faults to my eyes, and manages to be even better (burnt tan is awesome, just like the mask).

To be honest a lot of the pros to you were cons to me. The build came off as boring compared to the other masters, the colours were bland and the boomerangs were annoying to pose and too big. But hey to each their own.

Oh, and he costs £3 more than the Uniter with 30 less pieces.

EDIT: Also apologies for the Scorpio mistake, kinda forgot Umarak the Destroyer was a thing.

Edited by MakutaDreadscythe