Sign in to follow this  
canuckster

[MOC LDD, WIP] Woodchip dumper with Canadian woodchip truck, suggestio

Some of you may have seen my Peterbilt 389 I posted a few days ago, it inspired me to do something a bit bigger.

I'm from the province of British Columbia Canada, (currently living in Sweden), and one of the most important industries is the forest industry and it's by-products.

Paper is made from wood chips left over from sawmills, something we have a lot of in BC, so naturally there are a lot of paper mills in BC as well. These paper mills have wood chip dumpers which unload the wood chip trucks.

I based my model build off the following.

truck_dumper.jpg

You can see a video of a woodchip dumper in operation here...

f9v8KD4.png

I've remodeled my Peterbilt 389 slightly to give it a bit more rounded nose, I feel a bit lazy using the same model, but I really wanted to show you guys my progress.

x7AgLIN.png

am7CYYy.png

The trailers are a typical AB double commonly found in Western Canada, these woodchip trucks are streamlined so the doors to the front trailer open into the rear trailer and dump out of the back. I'm not sure how to accurately represent this as I can't actually find any good pictures or video of how this works so I just made a simplified representation.

WtpnUKQ.png

One thing I need some tips with is how to accurately represent the hydraulic lift, the big yellow cylinder in the middle that lifts the truck. I'm not sure this is possible at this scale in Lego, if it's possible at all. Also one thing that's not finished is how the truck is secured to the platform, it's hard to tell from photos and videos how this is achieved, I've done a simplified version of this under the truck.

956EpJr.png

NVNGG3a.png

Edited by canuckster

can i say how thoroughly impressed and amazed i am, both by your design and the actual machine itself? i never knew such a thing existed, and if someone had told me it lifts trucks vertical id have thought they were having a laugh.