Sign in to follow this  
ARXD

2 XL motors - witch configuration will perform better?

Your opinion please!

2 XL motors must be better then 1 XL right? so, on RC car, which configuration will perform better?

A. Hard-Coupling 2 XL motors on rear axle (rear only)

OR

B. one XL for each axle (rear and front)

???

My guess is B, but I didn't had the chance to test it out yet, and I'm wondering if anyone ever tried it.

Thanks.

Hard-Coupling%2B2%2BXL%2Bmotors%2Bon%2Brear%2Baxle.jpg

one%2BXL%2Bfor%2Beach%2Baxle%2B%2528rear%2Band%2Bfront%2529.jpg

With one motor per axle, you get better traction, but I'm not so sure if that would be relevant for an RC car. For a crawler, yes, but for just a drift car, or similar, it does not matter, they are equivalent.

It depends on what your trying to make a 4x4 or a street car, if you're going to make a 4x4, a motor on each axle would work best unless you want a gearbox but that is beside the point, most lego street cars have rear wheel drive because front wheel drive is harder to do making hard coupled motors better.

It depends on what your trying to make a 4x4 or a street car, if you're going to make a 4x4, a motor on each axle would work best unless you want a gearbox but that is beside the point, most lego street cars have rear wheel drive because front wheel drive is harder to do making hard coupled motors better.

the pic is just a test model - not the real RC car.

I am building 4x4, nothing crazy - just for fun around the house.

at the moment the RC car drive fine with one XL motor, and I was wondering if it will perform better with 2 XL motors.

It is a lot of fun pushing the limits, so I was also wondering if I can make a 2x4 to 4x4 gear box, and in the 2x4 state, gear it up slightly...

yes I know I am pushing it, but like I said, that is the fun part :)

Edited by ARXD

One XL should be enough. It's already enough to break gears if designed improperly.

Edited by allanp

One XL should be enough. It's already enough to break gears if designed improperly.

Yes I know, found out the hard way :)

I gear it up (higher RPM) on the expense of torque (safer that way)

For pure torque, you stall one motor driving 4 wheels sooner than two motors driving 2 wheels each.

Especially if you put them on separate receivers with separate batteries (same channel), which reduces the chances of tripping the current overload protection.

With all wheel drive, you obviously also have traction through a greater range of conditions.

Torque isn't always the aim though. If speed is your goal, it probably doesn't matter whether you have two motors on one axle, or two driven axles.

I would recommend 4 smaller motors (L) driving 1 wheel each, and eliminating diffs. But that might not suit your project. :grin:

I would recommend 4 smaller motors (L) driving 1 wheel each, and eliminating diffs. But that might not suit your project. :grin:

I know someone that helped me out with this a while ago. The concept works great, but you have more than one battery box to supply more voltage.

I would choose option B, because you then have the possibility of gearing the motors up. If you chose option A, the two hard-coupled XL motors geared up would put a lot more stress on the gears because of the higher torgue, which is never good.

Edited by Technirus