Murdoch17

St. Louis Metro Link - Light Rail Vehicle (LRV) - MOC

This model was inspired by the Siemens SD-460 type light rail vehicles used by Metro Link in Saint Louis, Missouri.

24524169152_2ec584d8cd_z.jpg

They are usually two sets used on every train, so just imagine a exact duplicate of the train above connected to the train you see. Basically it's four cars with only two walkways and four cabs, though only the outer two are ever used on the line. Also, the two cars with the inter-car connection are supposed to share a Jacobs bogie underneath the walkway. I didn't use one because it would cause problems storing the train in my boxes IF I decide to get it. the walkway. I didn't use one because it would cause problems storing the train in my boxes IF I decide to get it.

24336977830_f06405bc45_z.jpg

The side of the model. The first set of pantographs on the far ends of the cars are used as ice cutters in cold weather (though they can be used in an emergency for power collection) , while the second, inner pair are actually used as the electric pickup points.

24550458521_d3d3cc3d22_z.jpg

This is not my map, I got it off Google. It is used by Metro Link on it's trains to show the stations used by the Light-Rail system. The Metro Bus routes are not shown, as their are too many routes to show on this type of map, though the metro buses usually use the routes of the old streetcars.

24005734253_82a81cd1d0_q.jpg

The train is supposed to feature the "M" logo on it's front and rear ends, but their is no printing on the logo, which is a blue square with a red circle inside, which has a capital "M" in white located inside the red circle. (I used a black 1x1 plate because it stood out more.)

Anyone wanting to read more about Metro Link and their plans for any future extensions and such should visit their wiki page here: https://en.wikipedia...ink_(St._Louis)

EDIT: forgot to add the LDD file: http://www.moc-pages.com/user_images/80135/1453843587m.lxf

Edited by Murdoch17

Being someone who rode on one of these before, it looks really nice! Very close to the real thing.

Thanks, I used to ride on them too. I felt like no-one else had done this type of train before, so I decided to build them in LDD... maybe someday I'll build them in real life.

Where is the black stripe around the windows? (https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/4a/St_Louis_Metrolink_train.jpg)

To be honest I think the bars near the doors don't look right. The real one doesn't have those. But the train still looks good though.

Edited by THERIZE

Where is the black stripe around the windows? (https://upload.wikim...olink_train.jpg)

To be honest I think the bars near the doors don't look right. The real one doesn't have those. But the train still looks good though.

I realize they don't have bars near the doors, but I wanted something added to the walls so they weren't so featureless as the rest of my trains. (take it as artistic license) Also, the black stripe around the windows was left off because I forgot about it... sorry!

Neat to see that someone else is tackling the St. Louis Metrolink, as I am about done building a powered (power functions), 2-car Metrolink train. I will post pictures when I'm done, but I made my own stickers for the Metrolink logo on the front and the line/destination signs on the top of either end.

Chris Hill

Neat to see that someone else is tackling the St. Louis Metrolink, as I am about done building a powered (power functions), 2-car Metrolink train. I will post pictures when I'm done, but I made my own stickers for the Metrolink logo on the front and the line/destination signs on the top of either end.

Chris Hill

Thanks! I can't wait to see your model, as mine will probably stay a digital design for the foreseeable future. BTW: If you live in the St. Louis area, are you a member of Gateway LEGO user group? We are meeting this Saturday at Grant's View public Library from 1 - 4 PM. Here's the link the site if your interested: http://www.gtwlug.org/

Thanks! I can't wait to see your model, as mine will probably stay a digital design for the foreseeable future. BTW: If you live in the St. Louis area, are you a member of Gateway LEGO user group? We are meeting this Saturday at Grant's View public Library from 1 - 4 PM. Here's the link the site if your interested: http://www.gtwlug.org/

Yes, I live in St. Louis and am on the Gateway LUG mailing list but have only come to one meeting, and that was about 3 years ago, due to buying a house, health issues, etc. Was planning on coming this Saturday, though, and I will bring one of the Metrolink cars to show.

Chris Hill

Yes, I live in St. Louis and am on the Gateway LUG mailing list but have only come to one meeting, and that was about 3 years ago, due to buying a house, health issues, etc. Was planning on coming this Saturday, though, and I will bring one of the Metrolink cars to show.

Chris Hill

Very cool! I will bring my St. Louis rail treasures (based on real locos!) the GM Aerotrain and Southern Pacific 4460, along with it's passenger cars. See you there!

It's interesting that this topic came back up this week, as myself and a few other U of I researchers are installing instrumentation on MetroLink track for a research project!

It's interesting that this topic came back up this week, as myself and a few other U of I researchers are installing instrumentation on MetroLink track for a research project!

Cool! What are you researching?

Murdoch17,

You did an excellent job in rendering the Siemens SD-460 LRV in brick forum. Your simplified approach may very well be a blessing in disguise seeing as many more prototypical approach models tend to be a bit... how should I put this: fragile.

I have a few simple suggestions that could help improve its appearance. The first was previously inquired about by fellow user THERIZE and relates to the black band. My suggestion would be in addition to the swapping the white for black brick, swap out the trans white panels for trans brown|black ones. This combined with the black brick will help you fully realize the black band on the prototype. (A note regarding this: window tinting of side windows is usually much higher then the next to non-existent tinting on driver window.) My second suggestion would be to remove the slope brick roof and in its place add several layers of plate topped by large plate to cover the body. On this you can add slope bricks to simulate the shrouded A/C units and power inverters that are mounted on the roof. My only other suggestion which is more involved would be to design a shared truck|bogie which would allow you to ditch the fourth truck|bogie and match the real LRV better. Any other suggestions I have chose to abstain from as they are very involved. Oh an I almost failed to notice this: I suggest replacing the blue with white except up near the front as that will give you the characteristic red stripe. You could play with the front a bit if you where up for a challenge to mimic the wide red and blue stripes.

Oh, how did I fail to see this! A top headlight would be your maraschino cherrie to top it off with.

If you would like to see some examples on implementation of the ideas that I suggested, you can take a look at these pictures of a MOC I made of a similar Siemens LRV, the SD-160. (For reference the SD-160 has sliding doors whereas the SD-460 is a bi-fold door) Note: I used varying window tint on the model

Bi-fold door detail: https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

Lower angle doctored picture: https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

By the way, LRVs usually don't look pretty from the topside, if anything they are quite messy. Believe me, I have seen it. Even the sleek S-70 is a mess between the shrouds up top. But hey, thats the whole reason why we love electrics now isn't it?!

3D LEGO

Cool! What are you researching?

We're measuring vehicle loads and bending moments to investigate ways to better design concrete ties for rail transit. We'll be doing similar installations in NYC and Chicago too. So if you ride out to Fairview Heights from the west you'll become data for us!

Murdoch17,

You did an excellent job in rendering the Siemens SD-460 LRV in brick forum. Your simplified approach may very well be a blessing in disguise seeing as many more prototypical approach models tend to be a bit... how should I put this: fragile.

I have a few simple suggestions that could help improve its appearance. The first was previously inquired about by fellow user THERIZE and relates to the black band. My suggestion would be in addition to the swapping the white for black brick, swap out the trans white panels for trans brown|black ones. This combined with the black brick will help you fully realize the black band on the prototype. (A note regarding this: window tinting of side windows is usually much higher then the next to non-existent tinting on driver window.) My second suggestion would be to remove the slope brick roof and in its place add several layers of plate topped by large plate to cover the body. On this you can add slope bricks to simulate the shrouded A/C units and power inverters that are mounted on the roof. My only other suggestion which is more involved would be to design a shared truck|bogie which would allow you to ditch the fourth truck|bogie and match the real LRV better. Any other suggestions I have chose to abstain from as they are very involved. Oh an I almost failed to notice this: I suggest replacing the blue with white except up near the front as that will give you the characteristic red stripe. You could play with the front a bit if you where up for a challenge to mimic the wide red and blue stripes.

Oh, how did I fail to see this! A top headlight would be your maraschino cherrie to top it off with.

If you would like to see some examples on implementation of the ideas that I suggested, you can take a look at these pictures of a MOC I made of a similar Siemens LRV, the SD-160. (For reference the SD-160 has sliding doors whereas the SD-460 is a bi-fold door) Note: I used varying window tint on the model

Bi-fold door detail: https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

Lower angle doctored picture: https://picasaweb.go...feat=directlink

By the way, LRVs usually don't look pretty from the topside, if anything they are quite messy. Believe me, I have seen it. Even the sleek S-70 is a mess between the shrouds up top. But hey, thats the whole reason why we love electrics now isn't it?!

3D LEGO

Thanks, I have to look into that!

We're measuring vehicle loads and bending moments to investigate ways to better design concrete ties for rail transit. We'll be doing similar installations in NYC and Chicago too. So if you ride out to Fairview Heights from the west you'll become data for us!

Awesome! I'll have to tell a regular rider friend of mine about that. Personally though, I don't ride it anymore.... (I used to all the time when I was younger!)