Ok, I didn't check the colors, but if the black one hasn't been used in 16 years, I understand that one could conclude it had been retired.

What ? There are thousands of parts retired since Lego exist. Look at the old bricks, old gears (pre-Technic era), or the old fingered hinges, for example.

You missed off the last piece of my statement, 'but some do seem to go into hibernation for a long time before someone finds a new use for it.' there used to be a video on TLG Technic pages where Marcus is talking about the design process, and he states that the designers have access to all the parts that have been designed, just because they haven't been seen for a while doesn't preclude them from making a reappearance, although for some of the very old parts I agree it is highly unlikely that we will ever see them again.

I guess the only form of retirement is whenever they make a new mold for an existing part in order to change it, like better reinforcement, cos I assume the existing part is then replaced with the new mold.

Lego DEFINITELY retires pieces, even if they don't have a direct replacement. If a part's mold is old and worn out, and does not get replaced, then the mold itself gets destroyed (occasionally integrated into the concrete foundations of new construction). And while Lego's designers might technically have access to those pieces for the design process, the cost to reintroduce a part like that is similar to that of creating an entirely new mold, and as such it hardly ever happens.

In this case, though, there was never any question of a part being retired in the first place. The fact that the part in question hadn't been used in black in years doesn't prevent them from reintroducing it in that color. As long as they still have the mold for the part, all it takes to recolor an element is to change out the color of plastic used in the molding machine.

^ That sounds legit.

Anyway, speaking of that particular part, it was last used in 2014 which is not so long ago to conceive any suspicion of retirement i think :) But on the whole it's quite seldom seen lately. It was certainly more utilized back in 90's.

When are we getting the review????

That would depend on when LEGO sends out the review copies and any embargo date conditions the reviewers have to follow. Best to inquire directly with LEGO since they are in control of the process.

Good pics. Still wondering where they have hided all the supposed 1166 pcs. Maybe it comes with about 400 pieces of candy that is included in the count, so you can either eat it, or dig with it :tongue:

Edited by GoldVillage

Well, maybe the simplest explanation is the right one. It has all the parts, and we've estimated incorrectly.

What was the estimated part count guessed here, 800 something? I guess there might be more parts on the inside than what can be estimated from the way it looks.

That would depend on when LEGO sends out the review copies and any embargo date conditions the reviewers have to follow. Best to inquire directly with LEGO since they are in control of the process.

Except we all know from the Porsche, that no one cares about embargo dates any more :laugh:

Well, maybe the simplest explanation is the right one. It has all the parts, and we've estimated incorrectly.

Well, that follows Occam's razor, so I'd guess you're right about that.

Simplest explanation is common sense, just put it into perspective and compare it to 8043...

What was the estimated part count guessed here, 800 something? I guess there might be more parts on the inside than what can be estimated from the way it looks.

For the excavator itself im guessing 766

Simplest explanation is common sense, just put it into perspective and compare it to 8043...

For the excavator itself im guessing 766

Lego often build their models with low part density and they try to push the part cound down. It's common case that custom technic MOCs, while being comparable size to some official model, contain e.g. twice as many parts. Especially with lego system pieces the part cound can increase quickly.

You compare with 8043 which indeed is bigger but contain sizable PF elements and a lot of big parts in general (long 15L beams, giant bucket, big panels...). So eventhough it looks weird, I think 1000+ part count actually can be legit :)

There's just something about this set... I don't know, it just looks really cool and I especially like a manual Pneumatics set, it's refreshing to see after all the electronic operated pumps. I think this one is a must buy for me.

I know what you mean, I don't have one set with a manual pump...yet :sweet:

There's just something about this set... I don't know, it just looks really cool and I especially like a manual Pneumatics set, it's refreshing to see after all the electronic operated pumps. I think this one is a must buy for me.

For me too. I like the compact build, looks and good functions. A worthy successor to my good old friend the 8851.

I've never bought a pneumatic set in all my years. This one stood out for me, it's within my price range, has the bigger pneumatics and other new parts for me. can't wait.

H