"The weft and weave of fate guides the life and action of all sides, and through the tides of time they paint the hands of sinners and of saints." - The Kindred (Probably, I found this poem on twitter)

This is my 3rd freebuild, so if you are not Eslandian, feel free to approve if you like what you see.

Victor wobbled his way in a hurry, after getting words that the first test shipment had arrived. He had worked hard and long to put everything together, and finally it was time to see the result of his effort. The building was half constructed when the WGO got their gloved hands on it. How it went about he had no clue, but it was a good thing they got it because it was the only building in Bardo that fitted his needs. The window of opportunity was wide open.

24598104186_37ea882d28_z.jpg

Long and with lots of windows, it was perfect for taking advantage of Bardos long exposure to the sun.

24598102586_375a3506ef_z.jpg

A couple of traders where delivering a crate of the shipment as he arrived the pearly gates. He heard a lot of hustling and bustling from inside.

23997483653_54ffabcd44_z.jpg

"This is the finest fabric I've ever touched. Servadac will surely be pleased with this test run. The exquisite quality of the Fontanajo cotton makes all the difference in the world", a worker was saying as Victor entered the factory entrance.

23997484133_d59a48ce8b_z.jpg

"Ah, yes it fits, it runs, it Works!!", Victor exclaimed when he saw the machine in action. The attic had room for storing raw cotton, and the finished product was going straight to the docks.

23996141114_a9e2bee2ce_z.jpg

The WGO had aquired the prototype of a device named "Spinning Penny" from a Corrington engineer. The setup enables the work of at least 10 spinners to be carried out by a few.

23997484073_d8a037c6c5_z.jpg

There is a slight risk of injuries, but the machine does not require much skills, and workers are easily replacable. As long as there is doubloons to be made, they will come in masses begging to be a part making Fontanajo quality fabric.

24598102956_3c8cf8c9b7_z.jpg

My photographic ligh conditions opportunity was very brief. Especially the outside shots was a bit dark. I adjusted the brightness of the interior shot to see anything, so the colors are a bit off. Smog have covered my area for weeks, but today I got 15-20 minutes. I had to photograph a residence, my vessel and the factory, so it was hectic. I am very satisfied with this build, but I have not used much advanced techniques, except for the Spinning Jenny (or Penny as I called her). Comments and constructive critique is most welcome :)

Edit: And of course I have to give a big thank you to the Cotton King, Román Esteban Fontonajo (Elostirion), for letting the WGO process and make his familys cotton available to the general public.

Edited by Sir Stig

Sir Stig, I've been working on my own model of a Spinning Jenny, and you've done a fantastic job! I'll be stealing some ideas from this. Just incredible! As for the building, it's beautiful! I love the windows, you've got lots of textures, and the roof is surprisingly effective. I fear my still-under-construction textile mill will pale in comparison. Well done!

Very good build !

The machinery is complex and believable !

This is a great factory ! Brick on !

Sure it deserves an approval, but I am Eslandian...

Excellent use of the third freebuild. The building itself is beautiful in those colors. It has a simple classic look and the way you arched the windows is nice. My only crtitque is that the exposed studs on the roof look kind of rough.

The spinning machine is just brilliant. I can't speak for accuracy of design but it certainly looks legitimate from what little I've seen. I like the big roll of fabric on the end - very simple but very effective. That's a great way to get started in commerce. I'm going to study that design because it looks so good I might have to make one myself. (You can tell I wasn't the aforementioned Corry who designed it - I was probably the dim-wit they tested the safety features on!)

Again, this is excellent.

I approve!

Edited by Captain Dee

The building is fantastic. The overall design is very nice, and the colors complement each other nicely. Your spinning jenny/penny looks realistic, but I would recommend adding a wheel or gears so that it can operate (most designs I've seen have a large wheel for the worker to spin). Of course, maybe that's what the technique t-pins represent.

I approve.

Excellent job here Sir Stig, the spinning penny (pir_laugh2.gif) is excellent, and I'm really liking the windows and colors on the factory as well! thumbup.gif As Capt. Wolf mentioned, the studded red roof looks remarkably good too pirate_wink.gif

24369947911_0c08325477_t.jpg Hmm...speaking of fabric, I think I need to place another bulk order for bed sheets. I do go through them pretty quickly. I hope that machine can keep up.

24426191796_299bf13634_t.jpg MECHANICAL ENGINEERING!!!

:thumbup:

Very nice! That Spinning Jenny Penny looks awesome. The whole building has a very industrial feel to it with the brick walls and the many small windows it has. Well done! :thumbup: .

Great build, this machine is amazing. Also the exterior creates a perfect atmosphere for a factory of the BoBS-age. Surely your best work so far, keep it up!

(If I weren't Esl myself you'd surely get my :thumbup: ...)

And I guess it's about time for a trip to Bardo for the Román Fontonajo now... :-)

Edited by Elostirion

Very nice one!

The colour scheme of the building looks very good, love those arches for the big windows at back and the little extra bricks at the corners is a very lovely detail.

That machine looks amazing :thumbup:

Spinning Penny?!?!?! A great, fabulous and innovative design!! Your imagination easily tramples mine! hehehe! And the building it is based, is really fitting, just like the early "factories" of that time! I wholeheartedly approve!

+1 from the proud nation of Oleon!

Excellent use of the third freebuild. The building itself is beautiful in those colors. It has a simple classic look and the way you arched the windows is nice. My only crtitque is that the exposed studs on the roof look kind of rough.

Come on! Show studs some love!!! We are stud-lovers!!

That machine... That machine... THAT MACHINE IS JUST AWESOME!!! AMRVELLOUS!!! Also, the building is really cool, with some nice colors and a great roof!

There is a slight risk of injuries, but the machine does not require much skills, and workers are easily replacable

This made me laugh! That, plus the fact that this is a great build means I approve! thumbup.gif

It just plain ROCKS!

I had thought about a "loom" in conjunction with the sail company...but with a textile factory...there's no need!

Perhaps I can trade ye some fine rum? pirate_blush.gif

Approved! :thumbup:

Edited by Vedauwoo

Absolutely fab! It looks like it could actually spin with the keys and all.

As long as I pull the ends they go around in where they should. However, the rows move simultaneously. I pulled one string carefully at a time, and was surprised how smooth it went. I've been thinking that I can actually make a working version, but I'll let it rest as it is. Except adding a wheel, as suggested.

Thank you everyone for all the kind words, critique, suggestions and approvals. It was my main project in january, so it is nice that it was recieved so well. I've been thinking about making a build like this for a long time, based loosely on a local factory/workshop. It will be one of the first focal points in my BoBs setup.

thumbup.gif I would have given you approval just for the machine alone. Excellent work!

I agree! :thumbup:

I love this build! The spinning jenny is one of the best technical items I have seen yet in BOBS. I give approval from Corrington. Though I don't know why you are not in Corrington with that kind of science. ;)

First of all, I approve. I hope this is not too late. I had postponed commenting on this, as I wanted to be sure to comment properly on such a nice build!

The building itself is great - I really like the colourscheme, the use of brick-bricks, and the windows. It goes really well together and gives the impression of a warehouse. I do not mind the studded roof - in fact I think it looks pretty good!

The landscaping around is a bit basic, and could do with some more texturing. There are also a few plates that could use some pressure... :pir-wink:

The spinning j(/p)enny is just brilliant - I love these early industrial machines. The string going in, and the rolled up sheets of cotton on the other side really gives the impression of progress, and I absolutely love it. :pir-sweet:

My only question is what drives it? I am no expert, but were they not usually driven by a wind or water mill, or something similar? Or are they simply manpower driven? Other than that, this is a perfect build, and I think the picture are perfectly ok :pir-sweet: