Could you tell me the shop? Shipping from Swiss to save a few € is an option for me :grin:

Not sure I'm allowed to post the link here, so I'll pm you :classic:

I see us easily going over the 100 pages of posts (2500) in this thread ... and I just contributed one more!

According to Anio on the french forum techlug :

• the gearbox seems to be 4D + N + 4R
  • the shifting mechanism shows some flaws on occasion...I had some issue on that too with Pvdb's Koenigsegg One:1 - so did Rikus for that matter - but that was a fairly easy fix (but not an obvious one)...I tend to think those kinds of problems are fundamentally inherent to the design of the linkage of most lego paddleshift gearboxes...assembled properly, they work absolutely fine...but slightly missallign something and nothing works as it should.
  • the rubberbands do interfere with the handling of the paddleshift...but that one was to be expected

Furthermore, to me, it seems like Anio is comparing the Porsche to some of the best MOC out there (such as Nathanaël's Predator). Therefore, I understand he could have hoped a lot more from TLC...which in this case seems to have been defeated by some random - very gifted - dude working all night round, alone in his shed (sorry for the cliché) :wink:

Edit : on techlug some might have well have found what Anio is not allowed to tell us : the car is rolling properly but only in neutral...on the other hand, AutoBild shows the car rolling properly...and definitely not in neutral as the "mode selector" is definitely pushed all the way forward.

Edited by charlesw

I would say that Anio has every right to compare it to the best cars out there considering Lego is calling it Ultimate.

Ultimate - the best achievable or imaginable of its kind.

I would assume that if Lego is going to make this claim, then they should be able to back that statement up.

In that case, 8880 still best most of the Technic sets of the past 20 years (and each and every "supercar" released since then)...and remember that some MOC make heavy use of "non standard build techniques"...and highly detailed MOC such as Pvdb's Koenigsegg are sort of "money no object" projects !

Edited by charlesw

In that case, 8880 still best most of the Technic sets of the past 20 years (and each and every "supercar" released since then)...and remember that some MOC make heavy use of "non standard build techniques"...

i thought 8448 was better?....what is that model better then say 8466 or 8448?

It hasn't got all wheel drive and I find it less complex (but more modular) than 8880...and I hate the use of flex axle to define the shape of the bodywork (but that's a personnal opinion) :wink:

It hasn't got all wheel drive and I find it less complex (but more modular) than 8880...and I hate the use of flex axle to define the shape of the bodywork (but that's a personnal opinion) :wink:

i find 8880 to be too boxy, too bricky.....

Personal taste :wink:

And this is the only version of 8880 that can be called "too bricky" :

Large+Scale+8880.jpg

Edit : the human scale model still exists

a6163ea702267a3f3d4dff16b765b22c.jpg

Edit 2 : build that one and you'll never complain of the price of any set / MOC anytime soon :grin:

Edited by charlesw

I hate the use of flex axle to define the shape of the bodywork (but that's a personnal opinion) :wink:

Well, I understand that, but one good thing about 8448 was that when you were done with the whole chassis, fitting on the bodywork didn't take so much time anymore. A few red pieces here and there, and you're done (I'm exaggerating a bit, but you get the point). Also, because the bodywork itself had the magnificent gull wing doors and their accompanyinig (simple but clever) mechanism, and because the chassis was studded, it didn't feel to me like you were just stacking more beams. There was a change of pace that felt fresh. That was one thing I liked about the "half-studless" sets of around 1990-2000.

This made 8448 feel like a real Technic set. Focus was on the chassis and the functions.

With this Porsche, it looks like when you're done with all the functions it has, you're only at 35% of the build. And I haven't had that feeling when going through the instructions of the great MOC cars by various builders. (That may be because I have a slight preference for 1:10 cars above 1:8 ones.)

Now it may be inherent to a car model (rather than a machinery model), but to me it makes the set less appealing, because there's less "Technic" to enjoy. Focus seems to be on the looks (which is perfectly udnerstandable for a licenced set, but the Unimog was also licenced and that's a really great and very functional Technic set). I'm just afraid that the build will get tedious if it doesn't contain moving parts. Now this may be the same with 42039 (one of the few recent sets I own, and one I quite enjoyed building), but that one only had half as many parts and costed less than half as much.

2700 technic parts are not cheap

Actually they are. The majority of the parts in this set are very common parts that TLG have put in many sets, moulds have been paid back years ago. What is not cheap is that darn book and probably (but we don't know) the Porsche license. And if they have to make special arrangements for the box, that is expensive too

It's a 300EUR set and I'll bet two thirds goes to the instruction manual/box and Porsche license. Now, just imagine what TLG could have made if they didn't have to think about that :wink:

Cheers,

Ole

Edited by 1974

I wouldn't mind seeing a demonstration of this myself. I don't think that I've ever seen this technique used before.

I too would love to see the solution they are reffering as well.. I have those parts in my hands right now and as I expected, they don't come close to working.. The 1 x 1 connector doesn't even fit in the 2L driving ring, and while it does about halfway fit into each side of the 3L one, it is now 4L and there is nothing there to turn the axle and impossible to engage a gear..

Edited by Paul Boratko

I have this wheels on my table. Be sure - they are equal in diameter

I still have two copies of the earlier posted images. They seemt to subscribe your clear statement.

640x246.jpg640x234.jpg

Well, I understand that, but one good thing about 8448 was that when you were done with the whole chassis, fitting on the bodywork didn't take so much time anymore. A few red pieces here and there, and you're done (I'm exaggerating a bit, but you get the point). Also, because the bodywork itself had the magnificent gull wing doors and their accompanyinig (simple but clever) mechanism, and because the chassis was studded, it didn't feel to me like you were just stacking more beams. There was a change of pace that felt fresh. That was one thing I liked about the "half-studless" sets of around 1990-2000.

This made 8448 feel like a real Technic set. Focus was on the chassis and the functions.

With this Porsche, it looks like when you're done with all the functions it has, you're only at 35% of the build. And I haven't had that feeling when going through the instructions of the great MOC cars by various builders. (That may be because I have a slight preference for 1:10 cars above 1:8 ones.)

Now it may be inherent to a car model (rather than a machinery model), but to me it makes the set less appealing, because there's less "Technic" to enjoy. Focus seems to be on the looks (which is perfectly udnerstandable for a licenced set, but the Unimog was also licenced and that's a really great and very functional Technic set). I'm just afraid that the build will get tedious if it doesn't contain moving parts. Now this may be the same with 42039 (one of the few recent sets I own, and one I quite enjoyed building), but that one only had half as many parts and costed less than half as much.

As a petrolhead, I tend to prefer cars to machinery and yeah, most cars are just chassis + vanity part on top of it to make it pretty / aggressive / look like a fish (nope, that's the ugliest concept from Mercedes :grin:)...furthermore, I tend to build most of the "vanity" part during my lunch break (given the fact I work 5 minutes from home) and concentrate on technic stuff by night :wink:

For 42039, it's not that interesting to build, it has too few functions...the doors, the hinged front boot (that shouldn't be there), the hinged rear hood and a "working" engine with no proper gearbox driven by the rear wheels...as it's fairly cheap, I can have one sitting on my desk at work without bothering too much :wink:

Edited by charlesw

There is no doubt in my mind that there will be times when the driving rings and clutch gears will hit each other dead on fin to fin and will jam the paddle shift lever momentarily because they won't engage properly(moving the vehicle should easily fix it).. This is something that is just going to have to be accepted as it can happen in just about any gearbox.. However, any other gearbox issues beyond this in my opinion are unacceptable as the primary focal point about this Porsche set is the Gearbox.

Edited by Paul Boratko

Actually they are. The majority of the parts in this set are very common parts that TLG have put in many sets, moulds have been paid back years ago. What is not cheap is that darn book and probably (but we don't know) the Porsche license. And if they have to make special arrangements for the box, that is expensive too

It's a 300EUR set and I'll bet two thirds goes to the instruction manual/box and Porsche license. Now, just imagine what TLG could have made if they didn't have to think about that :wink:

Cheers,

Ole

Technically speaking, each molded part is fairly cheap...add the Lego brand on it and it costs 5 times as much as the same unbranded part...and then, you'll try to buy some white flex axle of some random very rare length...some BL shops do charge for as much as 15€ for one of those in so called "new" condition...and then again try to buy a "new" rim of the 599 set that was released a few years back...and you'll find a single set of rim can cost up to $150...the Porsche IP is no match for the "used" Ferrari IP :grin:

Edited by charlesw

Edit : the human scale model still exists

a6163ea702267a3f3d4dff16b765b22c.jpg

It certainly existed in july 2014. Here's my wife and son in front of it :classic:

8880_1.jpg

Cheers,

Ole

Nmapladem has made a reproduction of the Porsche gearbox demonstrating on the probable issue on this set (original topic on techlug : http://www.techlug.f...c10092-930.html )

https://www.youtube....h?v=c2H6z42a8vk

https://www.youtube....h?v=iVtnn3vpyXc

In short : you need to apply some downforce on the back of the chassis for the transmission to work properly (like the real car though :grin: )

Edit : on the designer video, the "mode selector" appears to be pushed all the way forward too and the car do seem to roll perfectly...

Edited by charlesw

Technically speaking, each molded part is fairly cheap...add the Lego brand on it and it costs 5 times as much as the same unbranded part...and then, you'll try to buy some white flex axle of some random very rare length...some BL shops do charge for as much as 15€ for one of those in so called "new" condition...and then again try to buy a "new" rim of the 599 set that was released a few years back...and you'll find a single set of rim can cost up to $150...the Porsche IP is no match for the "used" Ferrari IP :grin:

Excuse me, but it sounds like your talking out ya behind. Where does that "5x" number come from? Do you know anything at all about how TLG works? And why did you bring in BL into this?

Wait a second, if the tires are new molds, why don't they look more realistic? Actually, I've just got a lot of whys for this set:

Why didn't Lego include 4 wheel steering and suspension lift, especially seeing as how those are features of the real car, and this set has few technical functions?

Why aren't the wheel wells brick built? That should have been easy.

Why don't we have any real new parts?

Why is this set so parts intensive? It would seem as if it could have 700 or so parts stripped out, and still look the same, and then be a $200 set.

Why are we so light on Technic functions for a set that is supposed to be the Ultimate?

Unfortunately, in my opinion, I feel that the only Ultimate about this set is the price. NKuipers built a car that is far more interesting technically speaking, with roughly half the parts. I dunno, I feel like the designers wanted something, but Porsche meddled with it, basically wanting a Creator type set made out of Technic parts.

Also, why do we have the same freaking double wishbone suspension as 42039? For a set that is supposedly Ultimate, that's something that could have been engineered. Same thing with the gearbox, a grooved cam piece would have been easy to make, and introduce, and make the set better. But no, I think Porsche wanted the set to have the special bespoke fenders, and the special bespoke wheels, and where was no more stuff left in the budget for new part that would actually be useful.

S40K, don't be daft, you just do not get it, it's all about that darn book. It's ULTIMATE :tongue:

But the rest of the Technic lineup is pretty damn cool, but we can't say that out loud

Excuse me, but it sounds like your talking out ya behind. Where does that "5x" number come from? Do you know anything at all about how TLG works? And why did you bring in BL into this?

The 5 times was a reference to a joke Jeremy Clarkson once made about BMW / Audi drivers...and I introduced BL to put things in perspective :wink:

Edit : Nice photo of the 8880 supercar, where has it been taken ?

Wait a second, if the tires are new molds, why don't they look more realistic? Actually, I've just got a lot of whys for this set:

Why didn't Lego include 4 wheel steering and suspension lift, especially seeing as how those are features of the real car, and this set has few technical functions?

Why aren't the wheel wells brick built? That should have been easy.

Why don't we have any real new parts?

Why is this set so parts intensive? It would seem as if it could have 700 or so parts stripped out, and still look the same, and then be a $200 set.

Why are we so light on Technic functions for a set that is supposed to be the Ultimate?

Unfortunately, in my opinion, I feel that the only Ultimate about this set is the price. NKuipers built a car that is far more interesting technically speaking, with roughly half the parts. I dunno, I feel like the designers wanted something, but Porsche meddled with it, basically wanting a Creator type set made out of Technic parts.

Also, why do we have the same freaking double wishbone suspension as 42039? For a set that is supposedly Ultimate, that's something that could have been engineered. Same thing with the gearbox, a grooved cam piece would have been easy to make, and introduce, and make the set better. But no, I think Porsche wanted the set to have the special bespoke fenders, and the special bespoke wheels, and where was no more stuff left in the budget for new part that would actually be useful.

The rear wheel steering is absolutely minute on the real car if we backtrack a few pages back within this topic ;)

And here's for some more nonsense from Porsche : let me introduce the Porsche designed smoking pipe :laugh:

Edited by charlesw

Sorry, I didn't get the JC reference (luv the guy, btw). BL is not really suitable for this discussion, imho. The pic was taken at a local mall in Denmark (I got more, but this is not the thread for it - I could make a new one if anyone cares?)

So the model is not able to roll, even without the fake engine.

Hmm....

Though it seems that on the techlug video, one of the axles is not secured (a 16 teeth gear). Maybe it's just my eyes...

Edited by Lipko