The more I look at the fenders, the more I get the impression that they are not very generic, and Lego probably could have designed them to be brick built. But, Porsche might not have liked that, and wanted smooth fenders. All in all, this does not seem to be a good flagship for new parts, as we have 2 set specific parts, 2 revisions of existing parts, although the hubs are much better, and a 7x3 curved panel, which is the only real new part. I hope that Lego comes up with a new kind of wheel, with the good offset of the Porsche rims, but more generic styling. I also hope that Lego revises the wheel hubs, new and old, to have less slack.

Finally, I could have sworn that a version of the 911 had 4 wheel steering, and I thought it was the GT3RS, but that must not be the case.

Also, I "like" the fact that the designers talked about the red shock absorbers for sake of accuracy, even though the suspension setup is totally inaccurate. Ditto the disk brakes. They may not do anything, but it has them.

Good evening everyone, I resumed the lego for a year and a half and today I try to reproduce m helping photo or video the future lego set porsche

voicie my work, in that you thought? For color that is normal because it is a project

Sorry for my English because I am french

1462676246-20160501-083703.png

Yes, the GT3 RS is suppose to have four wheel steering just like the Porsche 918 Spyder. I guess this feature was too "authentic" for LEGO and Porsche to care about.

Yes, the GT3 RS is suppose to have four wheel steering just like the Porsche 918 Spyder. I guess this feature was too "authentic" for LEGO and Porsche to care about.

I've actually seen rear wheel steering on a Porsche, and the turning radius is very minimal.. Could Lego have included it..? Maybe.. is it really that important..? I am not sure..

This system could not be reproduced easily as its not entirely mechanical :

• at low-speed, the rear wheels steers in the opposite direction to that of the front wheels
  • at high-speed, the rear wheels steers in the same direction to that of the front wheels

Check out the Porsche website all by yourself : http://www.porsche.c...-axle-steering/

:wink:

Edited by charlesw

Which they could have overcome/replicated by linking it to the gearbox. Introducing a feature from a smaller model into the flagship has been done before quite a few times and would have fit perfectly here. Maybe it's too complicated but it would have elevated the mechanics of the model (which quite a few people are a bit disappointed about at the moment) to the next level.

Having the rear wheels turn in the opposite direction would have sufficed because the car is stationary on a desk anyway. It is one of the main features of the GT3 RS and this set is marketed as being authentic(not to mention 8880 had it). The only similarity it has with the real thing that I can see is the name. No four-wheel steering, wrong suspension and geometry, no center locking rims, wrong color, half a PDK gearbox and the worst part...stickers.

It does look nice though and that was obviously the main objective of 42056. Big, orange and expensive it is but Ultimate Technic? No way.

Which they could have overcome/replicated by linking it to the gearbox. Introducing a feature from a smaller model into the flagship has been done before quite a few times and would have fit perfectly here. Maybe it's too complicated but it would have elevated the mechanics of the model (which quite a few people are a bit disappointed about at the moment) to the next level.

yeah, they should made i like so:

that in gear 1,2 and reverse the rear axle turns opposite(because low speed),

in gear 3,4 the wheels turn the same direction.

mechanically pretty difficult i guess but come on, they succeeded to shift with paddles, so this one must be possible to.

To me, they are many reasons for this feature not being included in this set :

• the Porsche IP doesn't come cheap (expect something like 30-50€ / set)
  • the linkage of the paddle to the actual gearbox might have interfered with such contraption (look how intricate the underside of the Koenigsegg One:1 MOC is)
  • the construction of the set is modular...which adds even more complexity to the equation

By the way, I was told at "Joué Club" (a french competitor for toys"r"us) that the retail price of the Porsche will be 279€ for France on august 1st.

Edited by charlesw

Man, I really want this set, so I'm going to get it. But looks sooo good that I don't know whether or not to display it, or use it for parts. It look so good.

P.S. I hope the green and white Porsche in the background are not going to be sets (my wallet needs a year to relax after all these good sets)

This system could not be reproduced easily as its not entirely mechanical :

• at low-speed, the rear wheels steers in the opposite direction to that of the front wheels
  • at high-speed, the rear wheels steers in the same direction to that of the front wheels

Check out the Porsche website all by yourself : http://www.porsche.c...-axle-steering/

:wink:

This sounds like what they did on a GM Truck few years ago ... Silverado I think, but could be wrong.

This sounds like what they did on a GM Truck few years ago ... Silverado I think, but could be wrong.

Yup, you're right. It was available on the Chevy Silverado, GMC Sierra, Chevy Suburban, and GMC Yukon XL.

The rear wheels turned opposite direction at low speed and same direction at high speeds. From what I've heard, the system works great when towing at higher speeds and helps reduce trailer sway.

Guys, the rear steering is not what you all think, it's only turns 2.8 degrees max! barely visible.

Here's a video how it work and with the wheels on you can hardly tell so not worth replicating on the Lego.

I will get one for sure. I just have to come up with cash somehow and later explain to my wife why there is expensive toy on the shelf. Kudos to Lego for making this GT3 RS my current fav Porsche.

The only thing is I probably will need to figure out a way to cover up the big gap under the headlights a bit.

While neglectable, it would have been nice to have the rear steering, altough i fear that it will have it either way, trough slag of the way its built, and... well lego... . ( sad lol ).

Not the steering, but they could have done a proper multilink suspension.

+1

I was really hoping for a multilink ... need to give them few more years, as the current parts have way too mch slack in them and a multi-link with such parts would be rather wobbly.

Three Porsche 959s?

Might be mistaken, but looks like there are 3 959s in the picture above?

Worth roughly $1M each...

TLG could do a 959 - it was a technological marvel back in 1987 and it did have 4WD :classic:

post-154215-0-44955900-1462796560_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ron1

TLG could do a 959 - it was a technological marvel back in 1987 and it did have 4WD :classic:

Seconded. And a conventional 6 cogger will suffice, maybe a higher pivoting point ball than 8880 had for its gate to cover all 7 gears.

Watched a youtube clip of sheepos 911 and think i'll bucket list that.

Let's not turn this topic into a TLG could have done this or that topic please.

Concerning the gearbox of the the Porsche, is that just me or its design seems somewhat very similar to that of Pvdb's Koenigsegg One:1 ?

koenigsegg_one-1_controls_1_annotated.jpg

koenigsegg_one-1_gearbox_beams_off2.jpg

Concerning the gearbox of the the Porsche, is that just me or its design seems somewhat very similar to that of Pvdb's Koenigsegg One:1 ?

They are both built very differently, but they do share the same method for chaning the gears.. However this method was already around for several years before either model was designed..

Not the steering, but they could have done a proper multilink suspension.

Do you think that it could have been done using existing parts or would new parts have been needed?

Existing lego parts. No new parts are needed. But while at it, new wheel hubs would be preferable. Ones with a proper CV joint connection and less slack.

Edited by nicjasno

Let's not turn this topic into a TLG could have done this or that topic please.

I actually think that's rather on point. If we're to give critique of this set, we also have to point out what could have been better/different. Don't you agree?

Three Porsche 959s?

Might be mistaken, but looks like there are 3 959s in the picture above?

Worth roughly $1M each...

And 4WS. THAT car is the ultimate Porsche for me. And if they did as a rally version (easier for TLG as the suspension has much higher travel) with Rothmann styling (probably a no-go in todays PC enviroment) I'd be on on it like an SW fan drooling over a 10179 remake! Here's my 500EUR - take it! (But I'd want proper suspension, 4WD/WS and nice interior styling + 80's style box with inlay tray and flip up lid. You can ditch the coffeebook TLG)

Cheers,

Ole

Edited by 1974