Allanp expressed my feelings accurately.

I was expecting more but got regular flagship with premium packaging and price.

I will try to buy this but definitely not for the suggested price. This is way too much.

I'm so sad they wasted so good opportunity to reintroduce normal coloured pins and gears...

We don't know much about the instructions, but I guess, after seeing the car, that it is going to be the regular 1 piece per page variety :/

There goes the Ultimate...

Its a very nice set, but IMO far away from ultimate. For an ultimate set I'd imagine a model with

- realistic suspension and steering geometry

- if possible AWD, difflocks, or limited slip diffs (depending if its a racer of an SUV)

- realisitic engine with bigger cylinders (these are the size of wheel nuts)

- more exclusive parts/colors

- smoother gearbox, I made a prototype paddle gearbox which works with 1/10 th of the required force and with 6 gears!

EDIT:

- Also the front looks way too close to the ground, how can suspension even work without bodywork touching the ground?

But even with all the stuff written above I belive the car is a great base model for modifying into a real Ultimate. Not to mention a great source of functional and esthetical parts. And its ORANGE :grin:

I agree. I think they are pushing the line "ultimate" tag line to help justify the hefty price. While It's a day one purchase for me, I am seeing many people on various forums and websites complaining about the price.

The Bodywork is fantastic and the gearbox is well beyond anything TLG has done before, so I understand it may look ultimate to them, however the suspension setup looks average. I can accept that but they went too far with the hype. If they made it a fairer price this would be killer and pave the way for really ultimate models.

They took however the Apple road. make it nice and shiny put it in a box that makes it look it better than it is and ignore its real value when putting the price tag.

One thing I want to say. If the Porsche disappoints you, it is probably your own fault. 62 pages of speculating things that were never gonna happen, that sets up a high expectation. My motto for this kind of things is, if you don't expect anything, you won't be disappointed. Simple as that. I think we hyped the Porsche, and not Lego itself. No hate orso, but we can wine and cry till we die, but they aren't going to change anything. You say it got no special suspension, well, they didn't said anything about it, you expected it and got disappointed. I hope this will brighten up some minds, and this topic won't be as stressful to read anymore.

Edit PS

Ultimate means in my opinion special. Now is this set special in the Technic line or isn't it? It is special indeed. I think that's what Lego tried to clarify. But enough counterstrike from my side, I'm just gonna sit here and wait till the first of June to empty my bankaccount.

Edited by jgw

I think we hyped the Porsche, and not Lego itself.

So showing a model with camo stickes and no telling a thing about it like PF or RC isn't going for the hype right? Yeah our fault, TLG din't put the bait.

(...) if you don't expect anything, you won't be disappointed.(...)

I'll remember that saying!

So showing a model with camo stickes and no telling a thing about it like PF or RC isn't going for the hype right? Yeah our fault, TLG din't put the bait.

I think it's impressive how much of the model that was designed based on less than 10 photos of the model. It's ironic, as there are still people that think there is PF in the model on Facebook.... and the whole chassis is visible.

On that camo you are maybe right, but they just wanted to follow the supercar world. But saying nothing about a set isn't hyping, we made those things up. So we hyped it. No offence, I just try to aply some logic.

I'll remember that saying!

It's a common saying, said by every grandpa ;-). Funny fact, you are exactly 10 jears older as me(oftopic)

The model is special no doubt, but Ultimate means "The Best" Is it the best Technic model? It is certainly not the most complex.

Edited by Meatman

On that camo you are maybe right, but they just wanted to follow the supercar world. But saying nothing about a set isn't hyping, we made those things up. So we hyped it. No offence, I just try to aply some logic.

Coherence is as important as logic. They showed everything and gave tons of details of the others models. They already knew it had no PF and no RC.

Not confirming or denying facts about a set which already had high expectations, was hiding info to foster speculation, which is actually going for the hype. It was a carefully calculated move.

You know what I think many of us were expecting to push this set to the "Ultimate" level? More new parts. Like new gears that many people have been begging for.

I don't know why people here complain about the price. Let me give you an example:

Crowkillers Porsche 997 GT3 is built of 1841 pcs and features:

-6 speed transmission

"Hand of God" steering system with functional Dash Steering Wheel

Flat 6 Rear mounted Engine

Full Independent Suspension

Opening Hood, Doors and Trunk

Bricklinking the parts (93% of the required=1728 pcs), they cost roughly $330. To build it you need to buy all the parts plus the instructions. So by assuming you need roughly $370. And on top of that, you won't get a box or stickers.

The Porsche from TLG comes with minimum of 2700 pcs which is ~870 more than Crowkillers. None of them has PF or RC.

Tell me what you think!

Also the front looks way too close to the ground, how can suspension even work without bodywork touching the ground?

Point. Perhaps the front wishbones are hooked up in a way that only one side at time can move :sceptic:

Where did you find those images?

NVM, they're from the lego.com technic page.

Edited by AlphaX

The most revelatory piece of information to come out of the interview is that the Porsche set is the first in a new line of Technic vehicles.

a new line confirmed?

edit: taken from the link in previous post

Edited by roppie11

I don't know why people here complain about the price. Let me give you an example:

-6 speed transmission

Bricklinking the parts (93% of the required=1728 pcs), they cost roughly $330. To build it you need to buy all the parts plus the instructions. So by assuming you need roughly $370. And on top of that, you won't get a box or stickers.

The Porsche from TLG comes with minimum of 2700 pcs which is ~870 more than Crowkillers. None of them has PF or RC.

Tell me what you think!

I think you got the math wrong :sceptic: . Any Lego car out there, if you buy the parts one at a time (from Bricklink) is going to cost MORE than if it were packaged as a single set. The 8455 cost less than $100 when it came out (I got a second one for $40, on sale at TRUs). If you try to bricklink it today, it'll cost you $200-250. The 'whole' is cheaper than the sum of the parts.

Now, here is some 'alternate' math: Apparently a large part of the price tag went into preparing the book. Yes, the book weighs 1/2 of the total box, and possibly that is what had pushed the price way up. If the book was destined as a 'coffee table' item (as stated in the video), at least they could have made it hard bound and use higher quality paper, and that will last a bit longer than your typical set of instructions. Of course, I'm wishing/speculating that the book they showed is an early prototype and the actual one will be hardbound ... something to display proudly in its own glass case.

The way I see it, and I'm sure I'm not too far from the truth, it seems TLG has realized there is extra $$$ to be made on licensed sets (look at all other themes), and they are now expanding the licensing idea to the Technic theme, full force.

Edited by DrJB

I went through the page source and found the original image without the text.

also look up in the right corner, another prototype, or another car? Also there are differences in the steering setup, I will try and enhance the photo to reveal more of the chassis.

paragraph_3.jpg

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

-6 speed transmission

Tell me what you think!

Comparing Bricklinking parts with purchasing an official set is absurd. Bricklink is a reselling store, many parts come from parted brand new sets sold for a profit. so prices are no relevant of comparable to official sets at all.

Perhaps you think Lego should sell us 32016 red #3 connector at 4€ , what about 14L red axle? Compare apples to apples, any mention of Bricklink is pretty poor thinking

Comparing Bricklinking parts with purchasing an official set is absurd. Bricklink is a reselling store, many parts come from parted brand new sets sold for a profit. so prices are no relevant of comparable to official sets at all.

Perhaps you think Lego should sell us 32016 red #3 connector at 4€ , what about 14L red axle? Compare apples to apples, any mention of Bricklink is pretty poor thinking

Is it? Of course it is cheaper to buy a whole set rather than piece by piece, but the way I see it is simple. Let's say I don't own any Lego and I want to buy pieces from scratch for the Porsche from Crowkillers, isn't bricklink the cheapest way to collect all pieces from? Still $370 is what it costs.

Besides, Porsche is a high performance car so for me the price is okay!

Ok, if that is the case please enlighten me on another way to acquire a lego super car like this then so we can compare that. The comparison isn't the same but it is the only one I know of.

I went through the page source and found the original image without the text.

also look up in the right corner, another prototype, or another car? Also there are differences in the steering setup, I will try and enhance the photo to reveal more of the chassis.

paragraph_3.jpg

What I see in this picture, is a modular body! So probably the body is removable, making the naked chassis visible, and changing to another color easier! This thing reveals more and more good things.