YAY 300 Euros :sarcasm_hmpf::ugh:. How would it ever live up to 300 Euros?!?! But at least we get some news, just making sure the project didn't disappear.

At least it's not 400 euros....

Shot in the dark here, but maybe is features an ev3 block with motors, for programmable racing circuits, draw with a black marker and it follow the line, change the internal gearbox for different racing speeds. That's the only way I'd buy this set, other then that it doesn't appeal to me, and neither does the price.

great, finally something new about this set, the only downside ... still 4 months to go ...

packaging details: 48 x 37.8 x 15.3 cm

Some interesting links ... just compare the weight of the different 2H Technic sets and it might be obvious 42056 comes with some sort of PF stuff? Or it's simply the piece count?

42056 http://shop.swisstoy...oducts_id=19146

42054 http://shop.swisstoy...oducts_id=19144

42053 http://shop.swisstoy...oducts_id=19143

42055 http://shop.swisstoy...oducts_id=19145

Edit: I just saw in the product description that for 42056 there's no mention of batteries, that indicates that this set doesn't come with any PF at all, which honestly I wouldn't mind.

Edited by Emmi

WildDistinctKangaroo.gif

The price, ouch. I'm still trying to figure out how the set could cost so much.

For comparison, the 42030 Volvo loader has about 1700 pieces and 4 motors, and costs $250, so I don't see how this thing would be $300, unless it somehow managed to have 3000 parts, which I doubt. I also don't see how it can have more than 3 motors, as so far it only has the gearbox, steering and drive.

Forgive my ignorance, but could the licence factor into it? I know we've been over this many times before, but acquiring a licence for a sports/super car from a highly desirable manufacturer probably would be a different kettle of fish to getting one from a manufacturer of construction or agricultural vehicles. Beyond that, it could be down to a slew of new parts like the panels (I hope) but otherwise I'm out of ideas.

Either way I might have to take a back seat on this (pun unintended), unless there some form of exclusivity/limited availability is confirmed.

I am highly confident that there won't be any powered functions at all, the weight and the size of the car suggests quite a big part count and as the previous poster said, license might cost a bit extra. We will probably get quite a few new parts and the lava-orange might be a totally exclusive color never before seen in Lego and probably only used for this set, means extra costs. I think at certain shops this might be available at 250 € at launch, I'm willing to pay that for sure!

299€ without Power function and in orange color...? That's no good for me :sceptic:

Forgive my ignorance, but could the licence factor into it?

I guess this is one of those things we are never going to know. However in the Technic line, I have this feeling that many of the brands represented would be flattered to have their product built as a Lego model, no doubt all the senior managers at Porsche would need to be given a copy of the set free of charge and there would obviously be some Legal costs in making the agreement between the 2 companies, but apart from that, I'd like to think that these companies are happy to have Lego promote their brand for them. There is always the question, which brand is bigger and more recognisable worldwide? I'd argue it's Lego giving there is 94 lego bricks for every person on the earth, so maybe Porsche should be paying them to make a model of their car. Maybe there are no great costs involved apart from time of Porsche engineers/designers working with Lego.

Who knows, maybe it will come out one day at a fan event with one of the designers. You have to recall with the Volvo licence, one of the Lego designers had a friend who worked at Volvo, which pushed the project forward.

Paul

I guess this is one of those things we are never going to know. However in the Technic line, I have this feeling that many of the brands represented would be flattered to have their product built as a Lego model, no doubt all the senior managers at Porsche would need to be given a copy of the set free of charge and there would obviously be some Legal costs in making the agreement between the 2 companies, but apart from that, I'd like to think that these companies are happy to have Lego promote their brand for them. There is always the question, which brand is bigger and more recognisable worldwide? I'd argue it's Lego giving there is 94 lego bricks for every person on the earth, so maybe Porsche should be paying them to make a model of their car. Maybe there are no great costs involved apart from time of Porsche engineers/designers working with Lego.

Who knows, maybe it will come out one day at a fan event with one of the designers. You have to recall with the Volvo licence, one of the Lego designers had a friend who worked at Volvo, which pushed the project forward.

Paul

Thanks for the considered response, I enjoyed reading that :classic:

I don't think any manufacturer would automatically say no to the PR boost a Lego set would give them, but a brand as prestigious and as well-regarded as Porsche don't need the extra publicity, so they may see it from another angle - that TLG are profiting from their intellectual property. For example, look at how fervently Porsche protects its IP in video games not developed or published by EA; they're still not available in Gran Turismo, and even Microsoft have been reduced to forking out and adding Porsches into Forza months after release as expansion content. Assuaging this concern is going to take more than just legal costs, perhaps a significant percentage of sales revenue which would explain the high price even for a top-of-the-line Lego set. While I also agree that Lego is more recognisable internationally, unfortunately for many our hobby and passion is still considered a "child's toy," a label which the likes of Porsche mostly avoid - notwithstanding the 40-something man with his brand new Boxter or Cayman!

The L350F licence was exactly what I was thinking of when I asked the question. I would be (pleasantly) surprised if a Technic designer had a friend within Porsche that could smooth things over as happened with 42030, but I doubt this is the case. There's also a nagging suspicion in the back of my mind that because this is clearly an AFOL set that there is an "AFOL premium" attached to it to distinguish it from regular sets and flagships. It could also be a case of TLG testing how much our desire for a realistic, large-scale supercar (that has been requested so often in the last 15-20 years) actually translates into purchases.

Edited by Jay Psi

Agreed. the price. I don't get it either. I am not great at the history of Lego..... but have we ever seen such a huge bump in price that fast? I mean, the Unimog was a trend setter at just over 200 pieces, and I can't remember its price compred to other sets at that time, but I don't think that it was a whole 60-70 bucks more than any other sets prior to it..... like this set will likely be.

Honestly though.... I don't mind, and I will buy one if not two. We (AFOLs) have been requesting a set like this for a while.... and if this is TLGs attempt at testing the water then we have to respond in the right direction. Or we won't have our voices heard any longer. I know this has been said earlier in the thread but if this is a set more set for adults than others then TLG may be in the appropriate price range. Other, similar adult hobbies, like RC car building, model ship building, robotics packages.... are stilll so much more......

Honestly though.... I don't mind, and I will buy one if not two. We (AFOLs) have been requesting a set like this for a while.... and if this is TLGs attempt at testing the water then we have to respond in the right direction. Or we won't have our voices heard any longer. I know this has been said earlier in the thread but if this is a set more set for adults than others then TLG may be in the appropriate price range. Other, similar adult hobbies, like RC car building, model ship building, robotics packages.... are stilll so much more......

Agreed. As of now I don't have enough info to say if this set is worth the 300 Euro but if it is the more adult orientated set that we hope it's going to be and if it has some more awesome new parts (like the new wheels which look really good and have a large positive offset) then I'll definitely get it. But if it turns out the be a mechanically unrealistic/simple/boring RC crawler like thing but with a porsche body then no thanks.

YAY 300 Euros :sarcasm_hmpf::ugh:. How would it ever live up to 300 Euros?!?! But at least we get some news, just making sure the project didn't disappear.

I quote your post, but this applies to more people on this page:

How about reading the previous 20-30 pages before staring yet another discussion about the price? At least the first 20 pages of this topic were fun with people reverse engineering the gearbox.

It has 3000 pieces and a Porsche license fee. Don't like the pirce? Wait for a discount at a local shop (bound to happen) or... don't freakin buy it?

Edited by Appie

Thanks for the considered response, I enjoyed reading that :classic:

I don't think any manufacturer would automatically say no to the PR boost a Lego set would give them, but a brand as prestigious and as well-regarded as Porsche don't need the extra publicity, so they may see it from another angle - that TLG are profiting from their intellectual property. For example, look at how fervently Porsche protects its IP in video games not developed or published by EA; they're still not available in Gran Turismo, and even Microsoft have been reduced to forking out and adding Porsches into Forza months after release as expansion content. Assuaging this concern is going to take more than just legal costs, perhaps a significant percentage of sales revenue which would explain the high price even for a top-of-the-line Lego set. While I also agree that Lego is more recognisable internationally, unfortunately for many our hobby and passion is still considered a "child's toy," a label which the likes of Porsche mostly avoid - notwithstanding the 40-something man with his brand new Boxter or Cayman!

The L350F licence was exactly what I was thinking of when I asked the question. I would be (pleasantly) surprised if a Technic designer had a friend within Porsche that could smooth things over as happened with 42030, but I doubt this is the case. There's also a nagging suspicion in the back of my mind that because this is clearly an AFOL set that there is an "AFOL premium" attached to it to distinguish it from regular sets and flagships. It could also be a case of TLG testing how much our desire for a realistic, large-scale supercar (that has been requested so often in the last 15-20 years) actually translates into purchases.

EA owns the exclusive rights to the Porsche name in video games, Porsche sold it to them back in the Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed days. Back then it was the only real racing series in video games and now looking back Porsche feels they made a mistake.

That price is, very, very funny. :hmpf_bad: Add some stickers with porsche logo and price will skyrocket, oh I dont like this trend in technic...

Not easy on the eye...

4034851467_70cff3c667_o.jpg

Let me guess, somewhere in the UAE (Gulf States) ?

EA owns the exclusive rights to the Porsche name in video games, Porsche sold it to them back in the Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed days. Back then it was the only real racing series in video games and now looking back Porsche feels they made a mistake.

I know, Porsche Unleashed was a fantastic game as well!

But as Microsoft/T10 have shown, the exclusivity can be overcome ... with lots of cash. Which is the point I'm trying to make here, that it wouldn't surprise me if the licence is part of the reason for the high price. It could also be down to the colour, if TLG are really going to match the Lava Orange of the car then the current orange just won't cut it. Let's hope their QC is better than it is on yellow liftarms and panels... :hmpf_bad:

Edited by Jay Psi

42039 model A weighs in at 1.2 kg with about 1300 pieces, dimension wise its similar to the Porsche an shares some of the body plates. 42056 weighs in at 3.5 kg with about 2000 pieces, 700 parts weighing at 2.3 kg. That a lot of weight unless they are made of metal (we know that is not the case.)

So power functions, 2 x controllers, 2 IR receivers, 2 large motors, 1 servo and battery box weighs about 400g, that still leaves 1.9 kg for 700 parts.

The facts we know more body plates that 42039, so more weight say 300g, a gearbox so more cogs say 100g, another seat 100g and more under work stuff and better looking engine say 500g. The weight for power functions is correct give or take a gram, but it still leaves about a kilogram missing so there is something else with this car.