Hm ... now that I have a second look at it, could it really be printed???

Screenshot%202016-05-01%2011.56.06.png

I initially thought this would be a sticker because of the press release "Includes a collection of authentic stickers."

Maybe LEGO means something completely different with authentic stickers, maybe there's additional stickers inside the box which you can apply if you want ... like race numbers, sponsors, etc.???

Hm ... now that I have a second look at it, could it really be printed???

Screenshot%202016-05-01%2011.56.06.png

I initially thought this would be a sticker because of the press release "Includes a collection of authentic stickers."

Maybe LEGO means something completely different with authentic stickers, maybe there's additional stickers inside the box which you can apply if you want ... like race numbers, sponsors, etc.???

No, my guess is that there are several printed parts, like this wheel arch, wheel hub piece, and the porsche emblem on the steering wheel. Simply because thouse are parts/stickers that are not easy to apply. Other than that i think everything else is a sticker. The GT3 RS lettering also is a sticker, which is visible on some other photos of the car.

I suppose the following are printed pieces:

wheel arches (2x)

RS emblem (4x)

Porsche emblem (steering wheel)

unique laser engraved serial number

The rest is all stickers, but it won't be many and most importantly it won't be big ones, except for the one in the back ... covering the engine.

Screenshot%202016-05-01%2012.20.15.png

Edited by Emmi

I imagine the biggest factor in which parts are printed and which are stickered is whether the parts in question have been printed before. If a part is commonly printed (like the 1x1 round tile), that means that the specific tooling for putting that part through Lego's printing machines already exists. If it hasn't been printed before, there's a good chance that that tooling was never made and would have to be engineered from scratch. In the former case, printing a part adds very little to the cost of production, but in the latter, it can add significantly more.

In the case of the new wheel arches, since they're a new part and will be decorated in their first appearance it was probably determined that it was worth the cost of producing the tooling to print them along with the molds for the parts themselves. Which is a good thing for fans of prints since it means that those parts can continue to be printed in future sets at minimal cost, even though it also means that we might have to wait longer for unprinted versions...

In the case of the new wheel arches, since they're a new part and will be decorated in their first appearance it was probably determined that it was worth the cost of producing the tooling to print them along with the molds for the parts themselves. Which is a good thing for fans of prints since it means that those parts can continue to be printed in future sets at minimal cost, even though it also means that we might have to wait longer for unprinted versions...

I think we have a win-win situation here ... both front wheel arches have a print on it ... on the other side both wheel arches on the rear end don't have one. So MOCers can still use them for their cars and there's no stickers to be applied for the official set, as I said ... win-win.

EDIT: Let's not forget there are a total of 6 wheel arches in this set of which 2 have prints ... so MOCers be happy, you get enough :wink:

Also I just noticed that there's a neutral position as well in addition to drive and reverse - so can anyone explain to me what effect each will have, since it's not RC I'm not sure about the effects of each mode.

Screenshot%202016-05-01%2016.50.33.jpg

Edited by Emmi

Also I just noticed that there's a neutral position as well in addition to drive and reverse - so can anyone explain to me what effect each will have, since it's not RC I'm not sure about the effects of each mode.

Screenshot%202016-05-01%2016.50.33.jpg

The drive will make the motor turn one way and reverse the other way, and neutral will just not turn the motor.

Hopefully Jim can answer my question this time ... when does the review embargo for this set lift? We are 4 weeks off from release, it must be coming properly soon?

Sorry if this was answered, but is the orange they are using the same orange they used for the 42038: Arctic Truck? Or is it a original orange just for this set?

Sorry if this was answered, but is the orange they are using the same orange they used for the 42038: Arctic Truck? Or is it a original orange just for this set?

Actually I was thinking the same. I don't have any orange parts yet, so was browsing sets to possibly buy for modding...

I am pretty sure it is the same, but hoping someone can confirm.

I think we have a win-win situation here ... both front wheel arches have a print on it ... on the other side both wheel arches on the rear end don't have one. So MOCers can still use them for their cars and there's no stickers to be applied for the official set, as I said ... win-win.

That's what I was thinking, I'm sure if the MOCers REALLY need 8 arches, they can bricklink 2 :laugh:

Edited by Kman860

OMG €330 on lego.com, should i wait till august to get the cheaper retail prices?

thanks

TNLD

As far as I know, it's not going to be any cheaper in August.

Bummers. Was hoping it was a bit different. I know it's technic, but when panels have gaps, it throws me off. So if it was all black, it might look better. Then if they have a skin for it, I would hope it would've covered each part fully as to not have a black border.

It's the standard LEGO Technic Orange.

So yes, the same as the Arctic Truck.

I'm quite happy about it :-)

I think @TheNextLegoDesinger is hoping that this set will have a lower price at the usual retailers that usually do this (there are a few over here in the Lowlands). I got the Arocs at quite a discount the day it became available at retail, so it is a possibility.

The description says it has brake calipers. That's kinda miss-leading as it really doesn't, it has a sticker/print of brake calipers. They might as well say it has a speedometer as well :hmpf_bad:

Edited by allanp

Hopefully Jim can answer my question this time ... when does the review embargo for this set lift? We are 4 weeks off from release, it must be coming properly soon?

You know Jim doesn't answer questions about upcoming reviews (if any at all). Jim also asked you to stop begging for pictures last year. So this time Jim is asking to stop begging for reviews :wink:

Ok, I'm not Jim, so I will try to answer it. :) Usualy, reviewers can order sets from TLG one month prior to start of sales. Add about a week for LEGO to process it and send the set and maybe a week or two to assemble the and make a quality review and we come to secod half of the month. Maybe there will be some poor, quickly done reviews before that, but expect the good stuff (Jim, Sariel, Brickset) then or even after june 1st.

TLG did reserve the right to send sets before official start of sales, but this is mostly due to licensing demands in some cases (if let's say set would contain spoiler to yet unrelesed movie) and I doubt they will invoke it here.

And there is another thing: I just noticed a lot of "exclusive" tags on S@H page for this set and of course it's placed on "exclusive" subpage. I'm afraid that that means a lot worst availabitly that we thought after seeing the set at toy fair (where exclusive set usualy dont appear). Sadly, that means a lot smaller chance of getting it with discount.

I will get mine for around €240. The only downside is that I have to wait until August 1.

On the official website for this set (here), by searching for .jpg on the source code of the page, we can get two somewhat detailed photos of the set :

Link to side view :

http://cache.lego.co...paragraph_2.jpg

Link to chassis & gearbox view :

http://cache.lego.co...paragraph_3.jpg

It seems like we have to build the chassis and the shell separately, just as for real cars :classic:

Edited by charlesw