This is obviously leaps and bounds better than the 8880. Sure, if you compare some of the features individually the 8880 might "win", but as a finished product I think anyone with eyes would agree with me on this. :wink:

I would like to but i can't :tongue:

The 8880 was the best of the studded era and different design style: skeleton body. If I want to trash talk the Porsche I could say it's a 8448 (boxes in box, modular build included) with a paddle gearbox and panel body instead of a skeleton body and it wouldn't be far from the truth actually.

I like the Porsche though, but I don't like it as much as the 8880, not because the 8880 has better or more functions, but back then it set a new bar for Lego's official supercars. The Porsche is more an attempt to catch up to MOCers and yet missing half the functions of said MOCers and that is why it doesn't beat the 8880 for me.

If you don't value it as a Technic set

Best looking supercar Lego has released up to date, BUT, the rear still looks incomplete, the area around the headlights is empty and it should've been purple instead of this orange which totally doesn't look anything like lava orange.

Gearbox seems mega interesting though, can't wait to see how it works. Disappointed with the suspension - seems like your standard TLG suspension with red dampers for "authenticity" :hmpf: Engine seems like a 180 degree V6 instead of a real boxer as well. Priced a bit too high as well IMO.

But still, great first step towards creating more "realistic" TLG sets. Can't wait to see what the future holds.

This is obviously leaps and bounds better than the 8880. Sure, if you compare some of the features individually the 8880 might "win", but as a finished product I think anyone with eyes would agree with me on this. :wink:

. Kinda liking someone for being hot even if as dumb as a brick? In Technic functions are sexy, this is not Creator.

Let's not turn this topic into a 8880 vs 42056 discussion.

The 8880 was the best of the studded era and different design style: skeleton body. If I want to trash talk the Porsche I could say it's a 8448 (boxes in box, modular build included) with a paddle gearbox and panel body instead of a skeleton body and it wouldn't be far from the truth actually.

I like the Porsche though, but I don't like it as much as the 8880, not because the 8880 has better or more functions, but back then it set a new bar for Lego's official supercars. The Porsche is more an attempt to catch up to MOCers and yet missing half the functions of said MOCers and that is why it doesn't beat the 8880 for me.

I can definitely see where you're coming from, makes sense if you look at it that way.

Let's not turn this topic into a 8880 vs 42056 discussion.

There's really nothing to discuss. Technicopedia lists 8880 as the best supercar and therefore it is definitive. :sweet:

There's really nothing to discuss. Technicopedia lists 8880 as the best supercar and therefore it is definitive. :sweet:

That pretty much ends the discussion....period! :thumbup:

The building experience of 42056 will be very special, I'm sure. When is your in depth review coming Jim?

The building experience of 42056 will be very special, I'm sure. When is your in depth review coming Jim?

I think when it's done :grin::innocent2:

I'm kinda surprised at how many people here are saying they wish there was hand-of-god steering. Not because I don't like hand of god steering, but I'm just a casual Technic fan and I considered it one of the less realistic functional aspects of today's LEGO Technic vehicles, so I figured more serious Technic lovers might not like that kind of thing. Hand-of-god steering probably might have been an improvement and also might've also made it easier to motorize the steering, but I'm quite impressed that they went the extra mile to gear the steering to the actual steering column, since that's generally a lot more difficult and also something that a lot of recent Technic vehicles don't do.

I'm confident that once this is released, one of the bright minds here on Eurobricks should be able to come up with a way to add hand-of-god steering or even motor steering without seriously diminishing the look of the model. :)

HoG should be very easy to MOD, considering the 12T bevel gear is still at the place on the dashboard where people thought Lego would put a HoG based on the pictures from the toy fair on the finished model, but they didn't. I personally don't care if the model has a HoG function or not, but at least it's an easy mod.

I don't know if it has been answered but does anyone know if this set will be a limited run or just a common set? so to speak.

No one knows for sure, but it was mentioned that this set will be sold exclusively from TLG's website and only Lego stores. Do not expect to see it at Toys-R-Us and the like.

I bet you can also buy it at Porsche dealerships ... just like you could buy some of the Ferrari sets from Ferrari stores.

Edited by DrJB

HoG should be very easy to MOD, considering the 12T bevel gear is still at the place on the dashboard where people thought Lego would put a HoG based on the pictures from the toy fair on the finished model, but they didn't. I personally don't care if the model has a HoG function or not, but at least it's an easy mod.

The 12z gear is at an angle though, I don't know how well that would work, but if it was lowered and placed at 90° and braced, it would work.

I don't know if it has been answered but does anyone know if this set will be a limited run or just a common set? so to speak.

No one knows for sure, but it was mentioned that this set will be sold exclusively from TLG's website and only Lego stores. Do not expect to see it at Toys-R-Us and the like.

I've heard that it's going to be publically availave.

This set looks awesome and functions is also very cool.

But, what the heck is a HOG steering system? (A lot of other people here mentioned about it in this thread)

HoG is Hand of God, ie a second steering wheel mostly placed somewhere better accessible than that one in front of the driving seat... Useful for better playability

But, what the heck is a HOG steering system? (A lot of other people here mentioned about it in this thread)
Hand Of God. Feature (additional control point) allowing you to steer without use of steering wheel.

I've heard that it's going to be publically availave.

Correct.

From the 1st of June you can only buy it from Lego, but august 1st it's available for purchase from every store willing to sell it.

No mention of limited numbers on this set and the serial number in the glove box is 8 digits as seen in the designer video from Lego: 'XXXX0000'. If the first 4 digits are letters you can have an insane amount of combinations before running out. If it's all numbers, it means it can go up to 99,999,999 sets. I don't think Lego ever sold any single set 100 million times?

The comparison of this set to MOCs, in terms of value for money, seems a bit counter-productive.

* Many MOCs use "illegal" technique for their builds, something that Lego don't do.

* Lego created special parts for this set, something MOCs can't really do—certainly not if other people are going to want to build it.

* The price per part of this set isn't hugely high—there's just a ton of parts. This set is 1:8 and BIG.

* MOCs don't have the same licensing issues/costs/development cycles/build standards that sets do.

* A ton of MOCs use parts that are unavailable in recent sets. PvdB's gorgeous Koenigsegg One:1 uses a 14L flex axle that hasn't been used in a set for FOURTEEN YEARS, and are going north of 8 bucks each new right now. I won't be building it because of this, and Bricklinking the missing parts would be a pain anyway. In comparison, you'll be able to buy this Porsche from LEGO and just build the thing. Way less hassle.

Thank you for this reference.....i have not seen it before. I guess it would be important to point out though.... That illegal is not synonymous with nonfunctional..... They're were several connections that looked functional, but considered illegal......

http://www.lego.com/...sche-911-gt3-rs

Check the 3rd picture, the one with Uwe. There seems to be a ball joint near the paddle shifts.

That seems to be the same element that the Unimog uses twice in its chassis, here only seems to house the CV joint of the steering that goes from the dashboard to the rack.