the only thing i don't like is the gaps under the lights. I have no idea how to properly fix that btw

the only thing i don't like is the gaps under the lights. I have no idea how to properly fix that btw

Agreed. I wish there was an elegant way of fixing that.

Can't understand people complaining about the price.

some people just don't feel it's worth the price. it happens to all sets, can't please everyone, it's just that this set, whilst very pretty, doesn;t quite add up to the price for quite a lot of people.

Lego is NOT a cheap hobby.

actually yes it is compared to many many other hobbies, and for that i am thankful.

Maybe if it's too expensive you should consider Lincoln Logs as a hobby

No need to be sarcastic just because there is a different opinion.

.... Or just save up.., or use a coupon... Or appreciate that TLG potentially listened to Technic AFOLs and gave us a premium set.

Weather or not it really is a premium set, or a regular set in premium clothing is debatable. As for if TLG listened, they got the wheels right at least. But was that listening to us or was that just realising that current lego wheels look nothing like supercar wheels, or any other wheel for that matter. I get that TLG is a company that needs to make a profit and that us AFOLs probably aren't enough in number to influence decisions. So I can't complain when they cater to a wider audience than us (especially after we already got the Arocs which felt like they really did listen). Non of this is a complaint, just reasons why I don't see me buying it.

I don't see that the $400 Lego Death Star suffered in sales so I doubt this Porsche will either.

I hope you're right. I want to see technic be profitable and popular. I'm just not the kind of person that thinks the best way to do that is to say that everything they do is awesome, there are enough people doing that already. Has the brick show ever once rated a set below 7 or 8 out of ten? What use is that to a consumer? It's far more useful to say where improvements could be made.

Pretty sure the Death Star didn't have all that many new parts or fancy new building techniques.

Starwars playsets and technic sets are very different things. Some people can have no love at all for one whilst being completely blown away by the other. Their fans are different and what appeals to each is different. With UCS starwars, generally the bigger and more impressive it LOOKS the better. With UCS/ultimate/premium (expensive!) technic it will be different, just like regular technic it'll be about being authenic on the inside as much as on the outside, only to a much higher level if it's to be considered as part of an expensive ultimate series.

17476-web.jpg

It's the mechanics that tech heads crave, not the body work (though I understand it has to look good on the box to help drive sales, and a good looking set with amazing mechanics is better than a bad looking set with amazing mechnics), unless you are one of those collector types that thinks a certain minifigue is totes amazeballs because it has a slightly different print! Again, what appeals to some people isn't what appeals to others.

I'm sorry if any of this has been mentioned on this thread but a mate suggested I post this here..

Here's my point of view on the whole Porsche debacle..:

Due to lego's consistent build towards higher and bigger licensing in their products, they are coming out to "quietly" tailor to the AFOL market.

This includes thought out lines towards a heavier, more collector based, more disposable income based market. And this in turn, goes some of the way to hike up their prices. so in some respects, it's good, for exclusive parts, designs and presentation. One of the dilemmas, as far as a company like Lego is concerned, the still keeping the interest from it's prior market and the emerging one brought around through Said new models. On one hand, they raise profits from, car lovers, lego/collectible item owners, lovers/supporters of Porsche and other high end car companies. This allows them to expand their reach into known, semi know and unknown marketplaces at the same time, all the while releasing one model for a limited time, as the beginning of a new licence spout of "super cars". Quote: "From our very first meeting it was clear that Porsche shared the same passion for the vision of this concept and together we decided upon using the current 911 GT3 RS as the first vehicle in this LEGO Technic series."

They don't to things in half, learnt some lessons from licensing success and failures in the past and are now reaching into the AFOL market directly by producing the next step of co-evolved builds, and heading boldly into clearly understood places.

The one main issue this presents, is it starts to pull the focal point from amazing, price accessible builds. So Lego in these respects has to hold a fine balance between great cheap builds vs. price point excessive super dooper lush builds, so to give fans personal enjoyment in all builds to keep them, as they release more surreal and intricate builds.

The understanding of markets in this instance, must be huge. Research at a premium and many years of compiled data. This leaves me to wonder how they will continue to unveil new streams of products to new markets and what product to release next, considering the level of awesome this model is and how the lego inclusive community sees it's pros and cons, so to speak.

I'm devastated about the price but knew as soon as I saw the initial pics and knowing Porsche's attention to detail vs. them considering to let another company represent them, it was gonna have a hefty price tag..

So all in all, looks to be an incredible build, new bits, presentation and all, though I'm sad to say it won't see it reach my brick lab any time soon if ever.

I don't like that there is no HOG, and I was hoping for a RC Porsche, but I can't wait to build, display, and occasionally play with this set. It looks beautiful and the functions look interesting. I think LEGO is taking Technic in the right direction with these large and detailed sets. I'm happy to have come out of my dark ages before this awesome 2016 Technic line up.

Hi all,

I replayed the recently published designer video in slow motion (

) and puzzled with something at 1m13s->1m18s when Andrew quickly flipped through the coffee table book.

Concentrate at the pages... certain pictures and words are repeated :O.

Maybe the book content has not been finalised and the one shown is a demo copy only?

I hope the thickness is NOT because the content is repeated in multiple languages? :O.

Great spotting.

The video says its preliminary packaging design:

The part-count is incorrect

The book is repeating pages

It's also clear that you need a lot of building steps for this set, which are clearly not present in the book in the video.

> some people just don't feel it's worth the price. it happens to all sets, can't please everyone, it's just that this set, whilst very pretty, doesn;t quite add up to the price for quite a lot of people.

actually yes it is compared to many many other hobbies, and for that i am thankful.

A friend of mine is into racing ACTUAL cars, and that is a hobby that is far more expensive than LEGO for most.

As someone with a somewhat restrictive slush fund, I have to make my Lego purchases very careful choices. For this reason I haven't bought a new set in years, preferring to concentrate on Bricklink orders to enable me to buy exactly the parts I need for my MOCs. All my Technic sets have been bought used and only as and when I've snagged them at favourable prices on ebay or similar.

This Porsche will hopefully be the first official set I have bought in years.I think it looks amazing. I'm a big Porsche fan anyway, I really do like the presentation, I like the scale and the features. The price? Well IMO when I look at the price of Lego in general, I don't see it as that out of the ordinary.

If I have any gripes it is the following, why add calipers and not some representation of discs? Why on a set of this calibre do we have stickers that we know will degrade and not printed parts, and lastly, and this applies to all Technic sets, why oh why can Lego not produce more of the smaller parts, pics and such like in specific colours to blend in more easily?

How many times have we seen blue, red and tan pins blighting the visual aesthetics of an otherwise impressive set? Is it really too much to ask for some pins to have been made in orange for this set? They have the mould, and the raw material, it would have looked so much better. The same also applies to gears and suchlike, why bright red and yellow gears, surely grey would have looked so much more 'technical' and appropriate.

I can't do much about the blue half pins visible on the body, I guess replacing them with light bley might make them stand out less, as will some other part substitutions in the chassis, It would also be nice as some have said to try and fill the void under the headlights in some way, and maybe graft in some brake discs, small details perhaps, but these are the things where I feel TLG have not excelled.

As for the colour? I love it. Orange is my favourite colour anyway, and looks perfect on the GT3, I can't think of a better choice.

How many times have we seen blue, red and tan pins blighting the visual aesthetics of an otherwise impressive set? Is it really too much to ask for some pins to have been made in orange for this set? They have the mould, and the raw material, it would have looked so much better. The same also applies to gears and suchlike, why bright red and yellow gears, surely grey would have looked so much more 'technical' and appropriate.

At least the long blue pins are fairly easy to replace with black ones, since they are available in a number of older sets. Same goes for some of the gears. I still agree with what you say.

Can someone please confirm if I listed all functions correctly?

1. Steering (no HOG)

2. Flat engine with pistons

3. suspension

4. 4-speed gearbox with paddle shift (is it like dual clutch gearbox style)

5. Opening bonnet & doors

What else?

1. Steering (no HOG)

2. Flat engine with pistons

3. suspension

4. 4-speed gearbox with paddle shift (is it like dual clutch gearbox style)

5. Opening bonnet & doors

What else?

Adjustable rear spoiler and opening glove compartment?

Edited by KamalMYafi

If we call that posable spoiler a function, then adjustable side mirrors too.

Edited by Lipko

7. lever between seats for forward/reverse

8. maybe some kind of clutch? (I briefly remember someone mentioned it)

Can't wait for the first reviews, especially looking forward to the one from Jim :wink:

Me too :laugh:

I will update the first post later by the way.

Very curious about the extra information in the instruction manual. Look at the size of that thing! :laugh:

[little offtopic] It's definitely a must-have for me, but I still don't understand why the price in Holland is € 30,- more than it is in Germany. Off course, there is a tax difference (2%), but why does the set have to be 10% more expensive? It's the same with some other sets (Ghostbuster HQ is €50 more expensive), but not with all sets. A lot of sets are similar priced. :angry:

Anyway, will probably buy, but only when I'm visiting Germany... [/little offtopic]

So 42056 still doesn't beat 8880 :blush:

well that depends... 42056 vs 8880

Drive

1. RWD vs AWD

Steering:

2. FW vs AW

Gearbox

3. 4gr+R sequential vs H 4

Bodywork

4. Doors/Hood/Booth vs Booth

So you decide is it really beat the legendary 8880 ...

From the pictures I have seen I much dislike the front suspension ... come-one... 300$ and a suspension that was developed by Lego almost 30 years ago with introduction on the 8865? OK there is a new wheel hub and the arms are in new design but the concept is still the same...

Also it looks like the 42056 does not even have ackermann steering geometry ...

Edited by AOW

Me too :laugh:

I will update the first post later by the way.

Thanks ... any idea yet when we can expect the review - mid May or earlier or later?

Also why the heck isn't the Porsche shown in the June store calendar that got released today? I remember someone saying it will be displayed on top and the Village on the bottom ... now the Village is on top and the Porsche nowhere ... makes me sad :(

Best looking supercar Lego has released up to date, BUT, the rear still looks incomplete, the area around the headlights is empty and it should've been purple instead of this orange which totally doesn't look anything like lava orange.

Gearbox seems mega interesting though, can't wait to see how it works. Disappointed with the suspension - seems like your standard TLG suspension with red dampers for "authenticity" :hmpf: Engine seems like a 180 degree V6 instead of a real boxer as well. Priced a bit too high as well IMO.

But still, great first step towards creating more "realistic" TLG sets. Can't wait to see what the future holds.

well that depends... 42056 vs 8880

Drive

1. RWD vs AWD

Steering:

2. FW vs AW

Gearbox

3. 4gr+R sequential vs H 4

Bodywork

4. Doors/Hood/Booth vs Booth

So you decide is it really beat the legendary 8880 ...

From the pictures I have seen I much dislike the front suspension ... come-one... 300$ and a suspension that was developed by Lego almost 30 years ago with introduction on the 8865? OK there is a new wheel hub and the arms are in new design but the concept is still the same...

Also it looks like the 42056 does not even have ackermann steering geometry ...

This is obviously leaps and bounds better than the 8880. Sure, if you compare some of the features individually the 8880 might "win", but as a finished product I think anyone with eyes would agree with me on this. :wink: