That clutch gear is in a wierd setup. Either the 24 tooth gear next to it isnt connected to it, or there is something meshing with it above. Seems kinda silly that a manual vehicle would need a clutch. Especially in the driveline or transmission shift system.

What is the white clutch for?

It's probably a safety valve for when the car is in first gear..

It's no secret that a simple 4 speed set-up has some friction in 1st gear, and this complex set-up has a ton a gears, so I can see Lego using a clutch gear to avoid gears skipping if the friction gets bad..

Or it could be a safety feature if the car is in nuetral and some rolls it along and then engages drive or reverse while the car is in first gear..

The clutch gear is probably there for situations when two speeds is engaged at once: because of some jamming, or a not fully finished paddle stroke, or if it's switched during pushing around (accodingto my experience with similar setup, sometimes the next speed gets engaged a little before the other is fully disengaged. Pvdb could confirm if it's true with his Koenigsegg).

The clutch gear is probably there for situations when two speeds is engaged at once: because of some jamming, or a not fully finished paddle stroke, or if it's switched during pushing around (accodingto my experience with similar setup, sometimes the next speed gets engaged a little before the other is fully disengaged. Pvdb could confirm if it's true with his Koenigsegg).

That is a good point.. That clutch gear will prevent any type of mishap that could potentially happen.. The one thing about Technic in the TLC, it's gotta be fool-proof.. :classic:

Edited by Paul Boratko

Sorry if this has been stated before...... But..... Do we have a final weight for the whole box/set? I know there were estimates a while back........ But I'm talking about actual weight...... Not guesses.

I am kinda noob when it comes to tyre sizes. If someone could do a side by side comparison of rhe porsche wheel and tumbler wheel that would be nice :)

I am kinda noob when it comes to tyre sizes. If someone could do a side by side comparison of rhe porsche wheel and tumbler wheel that would be nice :)

That's interesting, I found that these two actually the same size - 81.6 x 44.

I am really bothered by the use of this part 4143005.jpg in a color that clashes with the lava-bright orange. For the price, certainly they could have made in in black or medium stone grey, the MSG version is in current production. Looks like there are several dozen at least in this set.

Edited by JGW3000

13072636_203501533369270_17622934666013579_o.jpg

if you look at the knob gears and shifting linkages, it looks like someone didn't set them up at the proper angle.

Thought the geometry for the doors looks interesting with the sliding portion in the liftarm.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

13076732_203501530035937_7429588668166377190_n.jpg?oh=2e7a5ff7cf937ef5aba630c493b1f288&oe=57ABBDCE

The lego version looks a lot like this version of the GT3 RS - the color, the shape of the front end ...

12117B3.jpg

My wife said I could order 2 on day 1 release!!! I'm so excited and lucky to be able to do this. Overall I'm very pleased and have a great amount of enthusiasm about this set. The price is a bit steep, but being the first in a series of a new line, some compromises have been made. Yes, it could have PF, working brakes, and proper suspension and steering geometry. Even though it may be lacking all of these, and we are disappointed, it is what it is. Overall I'm very impressed by the model. It will probably be the centerpiece of my display until August 1. Then the BWE will have that honour. All in all, I give it 1.75 of 2 thumbs up. Happy building and modding everyone.

No, I agree. A little longer, and the rear deck should be a little higher as well. Also, as other have said, it looks a little too low to the ground.

Porsche approved it's shape, so I'm okay with it. I'm sure they realized that TLG was..."working within the contstraints of the available build medium" or some fancy speak like that.

It's a toy. It's not going to be perfect. TLG isn't billing it as a "LEGO-based mechanical reproduction," so I've nothing against them. Sure, it's a toy possibly designed for adults, but that doesn't mean it's not a toy.

I don't get what you all are complaining about, this is the best supercar LEGO has produced to date and let's not forget it's only the start of the #TechnicUltimate series. I'm sure there's even more amazing stuff to come in the coming years. Can't wait to have this set in my hands.

Now, I have placed them aside to compare the two cars.

Reference lines are also included.

26675383135_ea10a7bc5c_t.jpg

I have superimposed the images you used and this is the result:

In the upper image, the distance between the wheels was the reference. You see that although the length of the 42056 is rather accurate, the height of the front fender, roof, rear spoiler is too low. This is the reason why some people have mentioned it looks too flat.

However, the second image the height of the roof was the reference and now the 42056 fits a lot better. Only "error" is the length of the nose and the position of the front axle, which is a bit too much forward. This might be relatively easy to MOD.

2mpiyp2.jpg

I did an overlay of the current render of the paddle shifter on the renders by lego.

26613040091_bc2395c809.jpgpadleshift overlay by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

and a couple renders of it.

26075160933_ba281d7a48_c.jpgrender1 by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

26652576956_e5fa5b737a_c.jpgrender2 by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

I think the paddle shifter mechanism could easily be replaced with a smaller shifting drum, I think it's just redundancy by lego to make it robust enough with the current parts.

Sorry if this has been stated before...... But..... Do we have a final weight for the whole box/set? I know there were estimates a while back........ But I'm talking about actual weight...... Not guesses.

I recall some older posts reporting about 3.8 kg, and many of us thought the book was easily 50% of that.

13072636_203501533369270_17622934666013579_o.jpg

if you look at the knob gears and shifting linkages, it looks like someone didn't set them up at the proper angle.

Thought the geometry for the doors looks interesting with the sliding portion in the liftarm.

Those are not photos. They look more like very high quality renders.

Why I think so? Very simple: Look at all the slots in the blue pin connectors. They're all aligned consistently at either 0 or 90 degrees.

No one (in their right mind) would assemble a lego set and align the slots in those pins so precisely. Conclusion: It is a high quality render, NOT a photo...

... maybe the next version of LDD (wishful thinking)

Edited by DrJB

Most of those images are renders. Look at the texture of all the rubber bits. And the reflection in the headlights. It is just too shiny

Those are not photos. They look more like very high quality renders.

Why I think so? Very simple:

Because they look like renders! :laugh: . I wonder why they don't just photograph the real thing, is it more expensive?

Edited by allanp

I plan to buy 3 of them. One to build, another to part out and another to sell in the future when everyone will say it was cheap at $300. Can't understand people complaining about the price. Lego is NOT a cheap hobby. Maybe if it's too expensive you should consider Lincoln Logs as a hobby.... Or just save up.., or use a coupon... Or appreciate that TLG potentially listened to Technic AFOLs and gave us a premium set. I don't see that the $400 Lego Death Star suffered in sales so I doubt this Porsche will either. Pretty sure the Death Star didn't have all that many new parts or fancy new building techniques. I guess the minifigs drove the price on that one, eh? Shut up already and take my money.

Because they look like renders! :laugh: . I wonder why they don't just photograph the real thing, is it more expensive?

Photographing it at weird angles/POV's is just simply easier in CGI. Also it allows for much more stuff you can do with the images/models.

Been going back and forth on this, hopefully will be available for at least a year, as I already bought two new cars IRL this year. From all the information available, 42056 is not limited or exclusive, so should be available at S@H for maybe two or more years.

Bring black the black and camo colourscheme, it looks like someone sat on a unimog.

The camo would really make no sense for a final set. The point of camo like that on real cars is to hide their contours before they're officially revealed, but once it's announced the contours are a big part of how you identify the car as what it is. If LEGO were going to hide them it would defeat the purpose of designing it to look like this car specifically. Maybe the camo version might make sense as a limited "special edition" of the set but not as the regular retail version.

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=120399entry2450074

Though not the final, would that not qualify as an official reveal? Personal taste that it looked less like a dissected ladybug in black, with orange just highlighting the massive hollows all over the shop round the doors, headlights, etc. The camo didn't detract as much to my eyes.

As for contours, i can't foresee someone looking at the sexy zebra and confusing it with a mustang.

Each to their own, but hoping for alluded limited special edition.

Edited by Grosse Kind

I have no idea about you guys ... but for me this is the best looking LEGO Technic set to date, also I believe it has indeed the most complex chassis of any supercar to date. It simply looks beautiful and the build will be very enjoyable. Can't wait for the first reviews, especially looking forward to the one from Jim :wink:

lego%20technic%20porsche.jpg