I don't have too much to say about this set that hasn't already been said. I think it looks great, and it's a day 1 buy for me, but this raises a few questions for me. What cars will the future Ultimate sets be? Will they all be cars, or might we see a couple pieces of machinery at this scale in the future (small tractors, backhoes, excavators come to mind). Are they all going to be be the same price, or will it fluctuate slightly like Star Wars UCS? But the most important question, I don't think anyone has considered-since 2010, we've had an RC set every other year, but none of this year's sets are RC (we were due for it this year). So that only leaves a few possibilities. Least likely I think, is that will will be RC upgradeable somehow. The only other 2 options I can think of are either we are going to see a skip in RC and possible get one next year, or, we are going to see a phasing out of RC sets, and have them replaced with these Ultimate sets, which I can even understand from a financial perspective, because they cost about the same, but I would guess it's cheaper to sell all plastic instead of some plastic and electronics. Either way, all I know is they finally broke the pattern :laugh:.

Edited by Kman860

Hmmmmm , I am now wondering what is still to change I hope they make the wheels bigger they are far to small and a bunch of other nick knacks in the body work and interior that i'm no fan of The steering wheel could be a bit bigger too , But who knows the ones sent out for review could be the unfinished version but with the release date a mere month away I feel Sariel's review can only be a matter of a few days away now . As for the difference between June and August release I would Imagine no changes would be a bit unfair if you had to wait 2 months for a better version of the model. I know Im buying one to mod , but then again you cant improve on perfection

-My thoughts

Collin-

Edited by CollinsLegoTechnicDen

I got some more stills of the paddle shifting mechanism I need to rework my model, as I attempted to animate a small portion, and there was collision errors with the changeover catches, it seems that the knob gears are moved back one stud and are at a 45° angle, this creates the issusion of them being placed one stud forwards

26044112323_ce33517684_c.jpglego porsche 911 by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

the progress on the animation, I think I got most of it correct, but when the knob gear on the paddle linkage travels beyond 90° it clips through the other knob gear.

Animation here

Lego porsche 911 paddle shift test
Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

I'm a bit confused by this - it's a premium product with a high price....so they've given us a shiny doorstopper of a manual and boxes within boxes; and turned certain key visual elements of the model into stickers?

The greatest offense is the lack of a printed badge and that generic steering wheel. Where's the attention to detail there? The GT labelling at the back? A sticker. Labelling of the brake callipers? Stickers.

That shouldn't take away from all the other attributes of the model but it's still a bit disappointing given how this is being marketed.

I'm a bit confused by this - it's a premium product with a high price....so they've given us a shiny doorstopper of a manual and boxes within boxes; and turned certain key visual elements of the model into stickers?

The greatest offense is the lack of a printed badge and that generic steering wheel. Where's the attention to detail there? The GT labelling at the back? A sticker. Labelling of the brake callipers? Stickers.

That shouldn't take away from all the other attributes of the model but it's still a bit disappointing given how this is being marketed.

Well, I mean, it IS a set for grown-ups. If it were a Juniors set aimed at four-year-olds then I imagine they would have opted for printing, but they're probably safe in assuming we're experienced enough to apply a few stickers, even if some of us might grouse about it a bit beforehand. Stickers are standard fare for decorations in Technic sets, even the bigger ones, and it's been that way for at least two decades — half of the theme's existence. So if the Technic theme as a whole is doing well enough for LEGO to consider putting out a $300 "deluxe" set like this then stickers can't be hurting its sales that much.

All in all, I can't imagine the stickers will be the deciding factor in whether somebody gets the set unless they're already looking for excuses not to get it.

Well, I mean, it IS a set for grown-ups. If it were a Juniors set aimed at four-year-olds then I imagine they would have opted for printing, but they're probably safe in assuming we're experienced enough to apply a few stickers, even if some of us might grouse about it a bit beforehand. Stickers are standard fare for decorations in Technic sets, even the bigger ones, and it's been that way for at least two decades — half of the theme's existence. So if the Technic theme as a whole is doing well enough for LEGO to consider putting out a $300 "deluxe" set like this then stickers can't be hurting its sales that much.

All in all, I can't imagine the stickers will be the deciding factor in whether somebody gets the set unless they're already looking for excuses not to get it.

Obviously, it's not a deciding factor but it does make a difference. I own the Arocs and having the three pointed star as a printed element makes a big difference in how it looks. It also won't wear as quickly, unlike a few of my sets from the 90s which have had stickers crumble or fall off.

Point is that details matter, especially for a set aimed at adults, and having fully printed elements would've been a nice touch. Maybe this is a unique opinion - I love the 911 and have models of various iterations of it dating to when I was 6 years old.

Regardless, I'm getting this set and will simply not apply the stickers. They've captured the overall design and characteristics of the car superbly.

Edited by lyra42

Totally called the massive book when we first saw the set weight.

Fortunately I have $100 of VIP points ready and waiting to offset the price of this.

This set looks perfect in every angle (Except for the ugly gap below the headlights), but the price.... is just ridiculous even for premium set.

Hi

can anyone confirm if this set will be a limited edition like 41999? Both had/have these unique number/license plate. 41999 had 20.000 copies so far i know.

Cananyone confirm too, if that set is the start of a (anual) series of super (cars) sets?

Dino

First time I bought an Apple product I was blown away with the packaging. It was artistic in its own right. I agree with Nick. Premium product needs premium packaging. No one goes to aPorsche shop looking for something at a bargain price. They want the whole experience. Salesman/woman dressed nice. Premium coffee offered to them. Impeccable showroom. Be honest guys and gals.... If you went shopping for such a vehicle in real life you would walk away if all the above weren't present. Presentation matters

Probably totally off-topic, but...

it can be like that, most of the customers care about "experience" that you describe, premium coffee, salesman in expensive suite etc.

But it can be different, there can be different Porsche experience. Let me tell you mine:

I bought my Porsche 911 2.7. (1976) in horrible condition as barn find. Took me 6 years to "put it together", I did most of the work by myself (no paints and some of upholstery jobs - I had those done), I had the car for 5 more years, then sold it (I got offer that was right). I had my hands dirty and no "premium" anything was happening. Twice I had to deal with Porsche dealer, both experiences were horrible. I did parts shopping and info gathering via enthusiast, vintage Porsche car owners etc. There was no "fancy box and thick glossy books" PR rubbish.

And still, somehow I would argue my Porsche experience (that is over now) was better and more unforgettable than all you described and most Porsche owners ever had.

(now I am sort of looking for another car restoration/salvage project - will not be Porsche - been there, done that, next.)

Sorry for off-topic.

So as far as I am concerned, "premium" ballast around it is off putting for me. I would wished for simple box, normal instruction, better panel work (I have seen better MOCs here), more functions, motors etc.

Two very interesting quotes from interview

From the development of initial design ideas concerning the concept in winter 2013 to the final approval of the model by Porsche in fall 2015.
From our very first meeting it was clear that Porsche shared the same passion for the vision of this concept and together we decided upon using the current 911 GT3 RS as the first vehicle in this LEGO Technic series.

Will there be more Porsches?

Maybe this was noted before but ... the preliminary box (in the video) says 2900 parts ???

I spent last day reading news and comments regarding the new Porsche and agree with those who say that this is for us, AFOLs. We requested a special Technic model from TLG and here it is. What is more, it seems to be a first piece of an advanced model series, UCS Technic. So first of all, thank you TLG. I really appreciate that they put at least 2 years of engineering in this set.

42056 Porsche is must buy for me. Not just because it has great functionality and nice design but because it is worth the price IMO. It is good for collectors because it will at least hold its value and is a piece of Technic art. And it is good for MOCers because it will inspire great future MOCs in orange colour. Altough I like the chosen colour of the Porsche, purple was my first choice. I can live with that. Paddle shifting is awesome. Working steering wheel, suspension and fake engine is a must in this league. And agree with those who say that there is no need for RC or PF, just manual functions. One thing I really miss function-wise is working brakes so I will try to modify it that way after a while.

But first I'm going to build and enjoy it in June with my girlfriend. And will not care about ppp and stickers at all. :wink:

Edited by Interceptor

Orange parts - it's best of this set fro this price. Still thinking. New hubs and rims can convince me, and probally will convince. Orange panels/beams + 6 new intersting parts... I don't know... Find enough parts for making Pvdb's Koenigsegg and Madoca's Icarus and something also still looks better for that amount of money.

What exactly is that unique number letting you go online to find exclusive content that's only available for each number??

Don't take me wrong I love to see such an awesome year, BWE, Volvo, Claas and Porsche are all amazing sets. but the Porsche price even with the nice box iis pretty offensive.

The Arocs is the same part count, has new amazing parts too, PF, pneumatics and is licensed.. Some cardboard isn't worth 100€!

Edit: Make it 250€ and I'll take 2 or even 3. but 300€? It is a hard sell.

Impossible to take it wrong =) im not a huge fan of PF and RC but seriously, for a price tag of 300 the VERY LEAST we could demanding was a new fancy RC system but i guess its april 1st everyday for Lego since they're selling a set worth closer to 30, for 300.

I gotta say I am sligtly dissapointed.

Things I like:

It looks great even if it is bright Lego orange it still looks killer. The desiner has really done good with the looks.

I really like the new wheel hubs with all the room they have inside of them and also the new wheel arches.

I appreciate how much work and effort they have obvously put into the overall look and the gear change mechanism, however....

Things I don't like:

With it's emphasis on being "the ultimate" combined with it's £250 price tag I would expect to see far more mechanical authenticity than what we have seen before, but there has been no improvement over previous Lego cars in this regaurd. The gear change is interesting but the gearbox itself is very unimpressive. It's just the same basic unrealistic layout of 2 pairs of equal size 16 tooth clutch gears side by side we've seen abajillion times already.

The diff is the same old flawed design which offers very little gear reduction (20:28 or 5:7) and can't handle much torque, though I guess it's ok for a push along model.

They have not made use of the space inside the new wheels so we get a hub which still has no ackerman geometry and steering arms that have always felt too short for 1:8 cars. Look at the steering arms for 8880 and the test car for a better example.

The wheel "bearings" are still the same wobbly ones from before with puny CV joints that can't accept angles greater than a degree and feel weak.

The brakes, there aren't any, not even fake disks to go with the fake calipers.

The steering wheel looks to be in a really odd position being competely perpendicular to the floor facing directly forwards (shouldn't it be tilted up a bit facing the driver, sounds like a small nitpick but it looks really odd to me)

It's seems quite telling to me that one of the main "features" of this car they really wanted to show in the designers video was the packaging it comes in. Which wouldn't be so bad if the packaging wasn't just boxes inside of a bigger box. If it brough back the flip up lid so you could see all the parts in their trays and the special arts tray which showed the cool new/exclusive parts then that would be cool. Someone at TLG, go down to the vault and find 8880, look at how not only the model but every single part is visable a presented when you look under the lid. Seeing the bits is better than seeing a picture of the bits!

It comes with a handbag. Yeah because when I was a young boy playing with my airtech clawrig what I really wanted was a puny plastic handbag.....like a MAN!

It's bright Lego orange.

It's aimed at 16 year olds and up and they still felt the need to colour code everything. 16 year olds do not require colour vomit, especially on an otherwise really quite beautiful design.

So, I'm sorry TLG, it does look beautiful and the designer has obviously worked very hard for a long time to create this beauty, but it's all style and no substance. It's a reguar technic set in "ultimate" clothing. Aside from the gearchange there is nothing new here, there are no improvements in mechanical authenticity. Some things are nice but there isn't enough here to warrant the £250 price tag. I would happily pay that much for a truly ultimate technic set that has no PF, but not this one for the reasons stated above. I do hope (as has been suggested) that this is a first in a new series of "ultimate" technic sets so that they can hopefully bring the "ultimate" part next time round.

Edited by allanp

So, I'm sorry TLG, it does look beautiful and the designer has obviously worked very hard for a long time to create this beauty, but it's all style and no substance. It's a reguar technic set in "ultimate" clothing. Aside from the gearchange there is nothing new here, there are no improvements in mechanical authenticity. Some things are nice but there isn't enough here to warrant the £250 price tag. I would happily pay that much for a truly ultimate technic set that has no PF, but not this one for the reasons stated above. I do hope (as has been suggested) that this is a first in a new series of "ultimate" technic sets so that they can hopefully bring the "ultimate" part next time round.

This might be something which evolves when TLG releases other supercars in the "UCS Technic" series.

Its a very nice set, but IMO far away from ultimate. For an ultimate set I'd imagine a model with

- realistic suspension and steering geometry

- if possible AWD, difflocks, or limited slip diffs (depending if its a racer of an SUV)

- realisitic engine with bigger cylinders (these are the size of wheel nuts)

- more exclusive parts/colors

- smoother gearbox, I made a prototype paddle gearbox which works with 1/10 th of the required force and with 6 gears!

EDIT:

- Also the front looks way too close to the ground, how can suspension even work without bodywork touching the ground?

But even with all the stuff written above I belive the car is a great base model for modifying into a real Ultimate. Not to mention a great source of functional and esthetical parts. And its ORANGE :grin:

Edited by Zblj

After a night of sleep I also think that the price 299€ is too much for what we get.

To me the instructions with the informations about the real car are really interesting and i'm willing to pay a bit more for it.

But with such a pricetag i'd have expected at least the bricks to be in real lava-orange. The Lego Orange looks neat tough.

But even with all the stuff written above I belive the car is a great base model for modifying into a real Ultimate. Not to mention a great source of functional and esthetical parts. And its ORANGE :grin:

I also think that the set will be a great base model for modifiying, but we have to wait how the new parts hold up to what they should do.

Did someone with more technical knowledge analyse the new hubs?

Looking closer at the suspension, I recall visiting a Porsche booth at a recent auto-show and the springs of the suspension are NOT placed as shown in the model. Maybe it was a different model, but to my recollection, the lego spring suspension geometry is far from the truth. Any thought/comments?