more I am looking at it, better the pictures get, more doubts I have. At front, there are quite a big gaps between panels. MOC 911 (I dunno who built it) that was presented here was more shaped. I am afraid, black is chosen for presentation to cover this. Suspension looks to me exactly the same as 24H race car which costs fraction of the price. Rumours about RC are gone, it seems no powerfunction. Where is 300Eur in it?

Agreed. I still have yet to see the 300Euro value. I'll hold my breath until we have TLG information, but for now, I'm not seeing it.

@nicjasno, I agree with your disappointment, but I'm very thankful for the new offset wheels. This will help many MOC solutions to the problems you mention.

Agreed. I still have yet to see the 300Euro value. I'll hold my breath until we have TLG information, but for now, I'm not seeing it.

@nicjasno, I agree with your disappointment, but I'm very thankful for the new offset wheels. This will help many MOC solutions to the problems you mention.

Wow, I actually agree with you now that I've seen better pics. I'd most probably still end up getting it for the wheels and fender panels but the more I see the less excited I get. Those gaps are going to look bad in a flashy color.

Edited by sm1995

I wouldn't worry about bump steer or negative Ackermann effect, since the hubs have so huge slack that it will cancel every other effect :laugh:

I wouldn't worry about bump steer or negative Ackermann effect, since the hubs have so huge slack that it will cancel every other effect :laugh:

Yeah :(

Agreed and dont forget the pins of the new hubs also have slack. The old hubs were much better in that regards, more compact and far more stiff. Also I fnd it interesting that the portal hubs have noticabely less slack than the small and steered type which is rather sad, since they all share the same parts, concept.

This model so far is an excercise in lazy design. When you first look at it, it looks amazing, but when you start looking at the details, you get disapointed very quickly.

Maybe there are 2 links in the steering, one for actual steering and the other to also steer the fake brake caliper?

nicjasno : in fact it will have hard and limited suspension travel and I am wondering on something. Take a close look at the picture above - how "deep" the suspension will go down as it will almost immediately hit the ground...

Take a close look at the picture above - how "deep" the suspension will go down as it will almost immediately hit the ground...
Yes, this was spotted earlier. I suspect there are two versions: either model has 1 stud suspension travel or it has been screwed to base (pushed down) leaving 1 stud of clearance.

Looking at the pics I always wonder about that ground clearance... doesn't it look to low, I mean even for a sports car? It looks it could be effectively used for measuring the surface flattness :D

A lot of comments are regarding the price. That is just a rumor. Not even remotely official. So just don't worry about "300 €" or consider it in calculations.

The steering links in front of the axle do give the inverse of Ackerman geometry, which is accurate for a high performance car and has been since the '60s. It reduces slip angles at high cornering loads. Lately the idea has percolated down to more ordinary cars, and that is why there's so much low-speed squealing in car parks. There never used to be.

I dont understand why they put the steering links in front of the suspension... This way you have a reverse ackermann effect and toe out on the wheels because steering links are longer than suspension arms...

There are many, many ways to implement "normal" Ackermann steering - even with steering links in the front.

In "real car":

http://www2.mae.ufl....es/image008.jpg

And in LEGO (911 by Sheepo):

http://www.brickshel...an-steering.jpg

Edited by Ron1

This is a Porsche Carrera GT carbon monocoque, not 911.

It's a Porsche 918 monocoque, Not Carrera GT.

:wink:

Oh well if the suspension of the model isn't perfect, it seems like everyone is expecting this to be some entirely redesigned Lego supercar with proper suspension geometry and (caster angle, kingpin inclination, ect.), and some new amazing function that someone hasn't designed yet or a perfect rendition of the Porsche. The main issue I see with that is the addition of extra unnecessary parts for a model that most AFOLs will use as a display model. The nice part about this is that we as a community can fix all of these flaws of a somewhat refined model and make a "ultimate version", or a life-like model of this car that replicates the functionality of the real Porsche. I think this model will be acceptable by most of the lego community, but I think we are expecting too much for a model. Though we can fix these issues on a already decent model.

Also I changed the part setup for that unidentified part in the back that was speculated as a motor. I think this is the correct setup now.

24319470554_82e6f9f2d6_c.jpgUntitled by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

I feel based on the speculation in this topic that we have discovered a majority of the internal components and functions of the model.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

I'd say we still know nothing, so could everybody please lay off the complaints? We don't even know what color it's going to be.

The color is really not that important. I'm sure it'll be fine.

And yes, i'm expecting a realistic supercar from lego.

IMHO some people are just expecting way way too much.

Why should LEGO even produce a supercar to "end it all", with perfect steering angles, tire pressure control, anti-lock brake and whatever.

The minute they do this, ALL their following sets will be received with "baaah, but in 2016 they released thisandthat, why can't they do this now? 0/10 won't buy".

You can see it in this thread when people reference to 8448 or 8880 or any other previously released set. They compare everything to the past and say "baaah, thisandthat is missing".

It would be harmful for LEGO to make a set with all the bells and whistles; and it would also be harmful for all MOCcers as there's nothing left for them to achieve technically.

We receive increments - like motors, RC, the "new" gearbox shifting system; or this times tire rims with a better pivot point

8880 set the bar. Up untill that point every supercar was an improvement. From then on, we get the same (basically less) with every new supercar. I am still waiting for a car that will beat or at least match the 8880 in terms of innovation and specialness.

For that, i expect at least realistic suspension angles or if they insist on unrealistic double wishbones, new universally usable wheel hubs with proper 8880 style cv joints that can actually be used for front and all wheel drive models.

The funny thing is that people always reference 8880, while the only realistic thing about it was the Ackermann geometry. Almost everything else was totally unrealistic (no opening doors, no advanced suspension geometry (though the hubs where the best, that's true), chain driven fake engine, no reverse in gearbox, opening bonnet with the bonnet deforming, etc). Still, it was an awesome set.