I still think this will have more value without rc. As soon as it is rc all the functions we have speculated on will be dumbed down and then it will no longer be worth it.

So desktop or laptop then? How convenient could that be.

Correct me if I'm wrong, when two devices are paired over BT one of them is "dumb" and other is "smart". Take Sbrick as an example, being dumb it has to have a smart device to be able to control it - like tables or smartphone. I cannot see how anything like Xbox controller could be "smart" in such case. Would be glad if it is otherwise.

I suppose we derailed a bit with this RF/RC/BT conversation, but oh well, we are still speculating.

I can see no reason why they couldn't make a simple handheld transmitter using BT protocol. Smart doesn't necessarily mean a 200 euro smartphone when a 1 euro microcontroller will do just fine.

I hope the inner workings are similar to the real thing, mainly, a boxer engine and neat suspension links, with non-vertical springs (as they did in some of the F1 cars)

So desktop or laptop then? How convenient could that be.

Correct me if I'm wrong, when two devices are paired over BT one of them is "dumb" and other is "smart". Take Sbrick as an example, being dumb it has to have a smart device to be able to control it - like tables or smartphone. I cannot see how anything like Xbox controller could be "smart" in such case. Would be glad if it is otherwise.

I suppose we derailed a bit with this RF/RC/BT conversation, but oh well, we are still speculating.

Not sure what do you call "smart". If you call only tablets/phones/laptops smart, then you are wrong. Sbrick could easily connect to a bt game controller, if it had support for that (I think the sbrick team originally planned doing that)

That is clear. But how is that related to bt? smart phones are by far not the only one device you can control using bt.

Hopefully to close the loop: about latency. A simple hardware+firmware controller will probably be fine with bluetooth, not noticeable latency compared to RC.

The problem is when you have so many layers of software that add up to the latency. With the SBrick app, the situation is a bit sad: the port tester has no noticeable latency, but when using a profile, even the simplest one, there is a noticeable latency that ruins the driving at any speed fast enough to be fun.

Thus I'm hoping for someone (TLG or others) to build a remote (BT or RC, I don't care) controller with both physical controls for feedback and super-simple architecture for low latency.

And while we're speculating, I'm wondering if we'll see TLG releasing something similar any time soon :)

Not sure what do you call "smart". If you call only tablets/phones/laptops smart, then you are wrong. Sbrick could easily connect to a bt game controller, if it had support for that (I think the sbrick team originally planned doing that)
Tell me about it. Would you be pressing studs or use some magic asking Sbrick to initiate a BT connection? I doubt it, as it has no buttons or other ways of interaction rather than controlling motors.

I remember Sbrick team mentioning possibility of using HW joystick. Sadly, this was so uncertain it is on the very bottom of "to do" list I assume. Joystick itself is a "dumb" device as well, you cannot assign it to control specific Sbrick or define which buttons control each output. There should be a "smart" device, that you can actually use to setup the connectivity and joystick button/function assignment. However you can use also dumb+smart+dumb chain of devices, like Sbrick+Smartphone/Tablet/laptop/desktop/other+joystick which imurvai is looking to implement. Technically you could use joystick to control your Sbrick in such setup, with disadvantage that you are still dependent on "smart" device and its battery/portability.

If you check

https://www.energysistem.com/de/products/tablet/serie_tablet__windows/42652-energy_tablet_8

You see LEGO has already a controller and the controller has Bluetooth 4.0!

And if you subtract the +\- 100€ For the LEGO tablet from the proposed set price and as already mentioned roughly 80€ for the maybe included PF you would have acceptable 180€ for 3000 pcs and on top a valuable box.

I'm really looking forward to get new information from LEGO.

I highly doubt that this table tablet has anything to do with LEGO or TLG, except for the branding.

Edited by JGW3000

How did talking about this set turn into an rc topic? It should be like 8880. Lots of new never seen before features that is fun to play with and display. Its been proven time and time again that heavy models crawl if they move at all due to limitations of plastic gears and axles.

So please, let's talk about the new functions of the porche and leave the rc talk somewhere else.

Glenn

thank you for bring us back. I beleive that it should have at least, for interior, beige seats. or blue, to keep up with Lego's 'thing'.

I for one am fine with the black with white camo color scheme the model has now. I don't understand why they would have the camo on it, because it is all too obvious as to what it is, and then there is the whole thing about the real car already being released, so therefore the only other reason they have it like this is because of the fact that the model is intended to represent a test mule, and will be released like this. Why would Lego go through all the trouble of making all the parts in black, only to have the model look different later? That's my opinion, at least. Also, I don't know how informed the guys working at the toy fair stand are, or if they even work for Lego, so I'd take everything from them with a grain of salt.

011510_salt_lead_604x372-thumb-604x372.jpg

:laugh:

I for one am fine with the black with white camo color scheme the model has now. I don't understand why they would have the camo on it, because it is all too obvious as to what it is, and then there is the whole thing about the real car already being released, so therefore the only other reason they have it like this is because of the fact that the model is intended to represent a test mule, and will be released like this. Why would Lego go through all the trouble of making all the parts in black, only to have the model look different later? That's my opinion, at least. Also, I don't know how informed the guys working at the toy fair stand are, or if they even work for Lego, so I'd take everything from them with a grain of salt.

:laugh:

I also like black color to use this part

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?P=18944&idColor=36#T=C&C=36

in black for other mocs. Very nice new wheels and hope that LEGO will start to make wheels with positive offset to enable smaller turning cycle

:thumbup:

Why would Lego go through all the trouble of making all the parts in black, only to have the model look different later?

Trouble? What trouble?

They need to supply the designe department with all current pieces in every basic colour, And that's not a one time thing because they don't pay anyone to take those concept models apart. (they're usually melted and recycled into black parts)

Won't hurt them to make a few extra so they can display a model at a toy fair.

Altough the camouflage stickers look alright, I'd much rather see this car in white with black and red accents or prehaps Red, Orange or light blue.

Trouble? What trouble?

They need to supply the designe department with all current pieces in every basic colour, And that's not a one time thing because they don't pay anyone to take those concept models apart. (they're usually melted and recycled into black parts)

Won't hurt them to make a few extra so they can display a model at a toy fair.

Altough the camouflage stickers look alright, I'd much rather see this car in white with black and red accents or prehaps Red, Orange or light blue.

...pure black is cool with small details like breaks and air intakes in some hot color like yellow or red...think about combining parts with other MOCs one day in the future...or to use porsche parts for another car...

011510_salt_lead_604x372-thumb-604x372.jpg

Now that is indeed a grain of salt my friend... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Starting reading your comment I really wondered what the heck has this picture to do with anything? Well now I see...great picture... :thumbup::wub:

Hey everyone just read thu this topic and wanted to clear something up.... The so called "camo" color scheme used on this model.

Coming from a car enthusiast background the color scheme that was used car companies typically use this when they first bring out a new model and are doing road test/track test. The reason they use this type of print on the car is to hide the bodylines from the public and photographers. They typically use prints that consist of circles or half circles because they confuse the eye and very hard to see body lines and curves of the cars.

Just wanted to give my two cents. Still looking forward to this model.

Hey everyone just read thu this topic and wanted to clear something up.... The so called "camo" color scheme used on this model.

Coming from a car enthusiast background the color scheme that was used car companies typically use this when they first bring out a new model and are doing road test/track test. The reason they use this type of print on the car is to hide the bodylines from the public and photographers. They typically use prints that consist of circles or half circles because they confuse the eye and very hard to see body lines and curves of the cars.

Just wanted to give my two cents. Still looking forward to this model.

Same reason why zebras have stripes. To confuse predators, they can't easily spot one Zebra to chase down in the heard.

Btw releasing this model with these stickers is silly and it won't ever happen. It doesn't look good, it's not meant to look good. It's easy to see the panels/ profile of the car. It's just to generate publicity.

Btw releasing this model with these stickers is silly and it won't ever happen. It doesn't look good, it's not meant to look good. It's easy to see the panels/ profile of the car. It's just to generate publicity.

Actually stickers look very nice on this model. This is unique for LEGO so some of us really like it. I just imagine the size of sticker book sheets would be massive.

Actually stickers look very nice on this model. This is unique for LEGO so some of us really like it. I just imagine the size of sticker book sheets would be massive.

At this price point I ... and supposedly any other in here does NOT allow this set to come with any stickers at all. It has to be all printed pieces otherwise I'm very disappointed.

Since this set ... or any Technic set is only available for roughly 2-3 years it shouldn't be that big of a problem for TLG to print all the pieces.

They can do it with LEGO Ideas sets, so I don't get why this is any different? I simply hate stickers and for a set this expensive there are no stickers allowed!!!

TLG listened to the community with the 2nd wave of 2016, but they have yet to ban sticker sheets forever! I don't remember any other toy producer which makes use of so many stickers. I hate it!

Edited by Emmi