I would expect a 7+R gearbox from such a high standard model, it's been done by sheepo on his Veyron, the possibility is very real.

Edited by Pomodoro

I built up some more of the exterior of it, It didn't help too much, but I'm still not sure yet on the mechanism that toggles the knob gears, it could be a new 4 long beam with holes, but it's hard to tell without physical bricks on hand. It could be a lever or a linkage that meshes with a cam to advance the knob gears. I did mess around with how the knob gears could mesh with the CV joints, here's an attempt at that, It's hard to tell without a photo of the underside or a photo of the top of the model( I think this is incorrect, as of further looking at the photos there isn't a second set of knob gears visible.). The problem I am running into is the issue with the one way pawls that the driving ring catches are used for, I need to think more about how both knob gears can rotate the same direction, but cause the output shaft to turn a different direction, or maybe they both turn it the same direction? It also looks very tight for someone to fit their fingers between the massive steering column mount and the paddles.

Transparent parts were used for unknown beam lengths.

24582796781_145ab7f6a6_c.jpgScreen Shot 2016-01-28 at 4.11.58 PM by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

24650118426_3d74e4fb80_c.jpgScreen Shot 2016-01-28 at 4.12.06 PM by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

With those one way pawls being how they are, one can only assume that one knob wheel can only turn clockwise and the other can only turn anti clockwise, and that they are not directly connected. So that moving the up shifter only turns one knob wheel, whilst moving the down shifter only moves the other. The question then is how does one knob wheel turn the output shaft one way whilst the other turns the output shaft the other way whilst at the same time NOT moving the other knob wheel. Each knob wheel would need to connect to the output shaft via a one way clutch.

Edited by allanp

With those one way pawls being how they are, one can only assume that one knob wheel can only turn clockwise and the other can only turn anti clockwise, and that they are not directly connected. So that moving the up shifter only turns one knob wheel, whilst moving the down shifter only moves the other. The question then is how does one knob wheel turn the output shaft one way whilst the other turns the output shaft the other way whilst at the same time NOT moving the other knob wheel. Each knob wheel would need to connect to the output shaft via a one way clutch.

what if it isn't a direct mesh with gears, maybe another ratchet mechanism or have beams mounted on an axle and have them be rotated to shift the shaft 90°. So not a continuous meshing of gears, rather a single cam that rotates the shaft, as it would snap into place with the pawls and the engagement of the driving rings.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

Perhaps you really don't shift the gears with the paddles, but they only move when gears are shifted?

Perhaps you really don't shift the gears with the paddles, but they only move when gears are shifted?

That was exactly my thought as well.. There doesn't really look like there is anything to actually "Shift" there..Probably more so of a visual indicator..

Someone mentioned something about a parking brake.. I would say the chances of that are pretty slim considering Lego isn't going to offer any features in this model(or any model) where parts could be broken..

Edited by Paul Boratko

sweet mother of everything thats holy. I need at least 2 of this, WOW. Just WOW.

Edited by sm1995

My last post on this for tonight, but I noticed something interesting when adding some hidden parts only shown for a couple seconds on the video. I am uncertain if the orange connector should be a #1 or #2. If it was a #2 the steering wheel wouldn't be able to function because of the axle jointer connecting to the side of it. Also because of clearance issues, and no noticeable bevel gears, I think It could be an option for the steering to either have further reduction next to the paddle shifting mechanism, or maybe use a worm gear, though that seems unlikely, as a steering wheel usually only turns around 1-2 times before reaching the steering lock. Another option would be that the series of gears seen in the center of the dash for steering. I noticed the yellow axle joiner is at an angle, so it can't be in a fixed position, I think this is connected to the tan single bevel gear in the center of the dash.The main issue that I see with this setup is that there is no space to fit even a 8z gear with the 4l axle with stop to connect to something to the steering wheel. Though in some of the still shots the steering wheel is slightly turned. Could the steering wheel be non-functioning? It seems highly unlikely, unless lego made a new 3 long axle with a stop?( Then it would work perfectly for supporting 2 12z black double bevel gears) That's the only way I can see taking a output off of the steering wheel and connecting it to the bevel gears. I don't think there's a issue with the spacing of my parts based off of the photos below, but there has to be a means of operating the steering wheel.

I am unsure of the placement of the towballs for the rubber bands, it appears in the video that they are spaced a stud closer to the edge of the frame. It also seems to be lego color coded the 5 long axle to be yellow, as I redesigned behind the steering column, after seeing it from a different perspective in the video.

I think I may have hit the limit to what there is from the exterior of the paddle mechanism from the limited sources of media so far. It seems odd that there is so little on this, shouldn't have there been more people who have taken photographs of this?

24053525093_b84cf54df5_c.jpgScreen Shot 2016-01-28 at 9.01.43 PM by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

There is a new 3l axle with stop. It is in some of the new sets already out. I forget which ones. I know it isnt the stunt plane or the mine loader.

There is a new 3l axle with stop. It is in some of the new sets already out. I forget which ones. I know it isnt the stunt plane or the mine loader.

Ok makes sense, It's hard to tell, as the axle is dark gray, Thanks, I guess I now know how the steering wheel meshes with the rest of the steering mechanism. It's so new that I was unaware of it, and it isn't in the Ldraw part library either.

24316.jpg

I guess the steering is basically figured out then. Also there's already 78 parts here.

24386374160_341ca60218_c.jpgScreen Shot 2016-01-28 at 11.23.23 PM by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

I don't think it will have more than 4 gears, since it's operated with a rotation motion (crank+link) which means 4 evenly timed (more or less...) positions a clutch can have. More speeds always means a rotating selector drum or sliding selector beam with properly shaped tracks (like in Sheepo's models).

Any we clearly see a crank with a steering link. But maybe it does something else? For example adjust the rear wing?

I still believe that the paddles meant to be operated. For an indicator feature the current build seems to be too complicated and ugly, it actually ruins the look of the interior because it looks messy and very unproportional.

Edited by Lipko

Looking at all the work you guys are doing on the paddle shifters, it seems to me that the most important part of a paddle shifter is missing from the display model, the actual paddle.

Maybe the design isn't finished ( new piece? )

The placement of the 4l half beams also means an axle cannot connect the top to the bottom. It will collide with the beams from the other side.

And paddle shifters typically are pull activated, and these seem to be push activated.

Which begs the question, is this incomplete? Not fully designed? A fake system that shows when a gear is selected but not which gear?

And the grey box visible through the wheel well of the drivers side rear wheel bear a resemblance to the curved side of the WeDo 2.0. Hopefully it's 9 volts with decent batteries ( and not a 9volt battery like the really old system battery boxes) and 4 ports from the start.

Looking at all the work you guys are doing on the paddle shifters, it seems to me that the most important part of a paddle shifter is missing from the display model, the actual paddle.

Maybe the design isn't finished ( new piece? )

The placement of the 4l half beams also means an axle cannot connect the top to the bottom. It will collide with the beams from the other side.

And paddle shifters typically are pull activated, and these seem to be push activated.

Which begs the question, is this incomplete? Not fully designed? A fake system that shows when a gear is selected but not which gear?

And the grey box visible through the wheel well of the drivers side rear wheel bear a resemblance to the curved side of the WeDo 2.0. Hopefully it's 9 volts with decent batteries ( and not a 9volt battery like the really old system battery boxes) and 4 ports from the start.

I don't think there are any new PF parts. If you slow the video of it down to .25% you will see the gray blocks on the sides, but there is also metalic gray tubing next to it. My guess is that it has to be a part of the exhaust system, maybe a muffler, and the new PF 2.0 is white. Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

This could all be done with a servo motor and switches. Why go through all the trouble of making it mechanical?

With all these advancements in the gear selector mechanism it makes me doubt that this is rc. But then again you never know

well - if all mechanisms of the Porsche are as nifty as the gearbox / gearshifting then this set could become the real successor of 8880 - and then i don't care if it is RC or not - then it will be a real supercar and i will buy it... IMHO it is high time that TLG kicks our butts regarding building / designing real supercars :wink:

and a real 100% reliable sequential gearbox, which doesn't need just for itself the space of a small car ;-), would be a big leap forward

With all these advancements in the gear selector mechanism it makes me doubt that this is rc. But then again you never know

It would be great should it be both...

I mean, should it have a full mechanical reproduction of gearshift and (fake) engine, together with an electrical motor and servo.

Maybe the central lever between seats could allow to choose witch one to link to wheels...

It would be great should it be both...

I mean, should it have a full mechanical reproduction of gearshift and (fake) engine, together with an electrical motor and servo.

Maybe the central lever between seats could allow to choose witch one to link to wheels...

That's my secret wish - it would combine everything good under the sun in one package :)

Manual transmission for "vroomm"ing or RC-powered drive without the transmission to have the motor's momentum within it's power scope.

I don't think it will have more than 4 gears, since it's operated with a rotation motion (crank+link) which means 4 evenly timed (more or less...) positions a clutch can have. More speeds always means a rotating selector drum or sliding selector beam with properly shaped tracks (like in Sheepo's models).

Any we clearly see a crank with a steering link. But maybe it does something else? For example adjust the rear wing?

I still believe that the paddles meant to be operated. For an indicator feature the current build seems to be too complicated and ugly, it actually ruins the look of the interior because it looks messy and very unproportional.

Having much space behind the rear seats - here another wild speculation: there is a little chance to have more than 4 gears - e.g. R+N+6. This would require 2 x 4 speed gearboxes which are selected alternately. By the way - it could imitate a kind of the modern double-shift gearbox! A few months ago I experimented with such a gearbox, it wouldn´t fit into a 1:10 car, but 1:8 scale would be a different thing. However, I couldn´t make it work by remote which is always my goal, so I stopped at some point because I simply couldn´t aquire enough patience (and brain cells probably too :laugh: ).

And yes, the whole steering wheel section is ugly :wacko: , but I want to know how it works! Any new leaks?

Edited by brunojj1

Hi all,

was at toy fair yesterday and this is what i got from it:

Prize: 299 €

Parts: around 3000 (I heard a Lego-official saying)

and

I was able to take a look under the hood and the "trunk"

hood: It seemed like there was still a lot of room left. What i´ve seen was that the steering wheel is defenitly attached to the front axle and that´s 4WD-ready(the axle you can see under the driver´s seat), also it has a well designed stiff suspension.

"trunk": I asked an tour-guide (yes, you were only allowed to enter the lego-area with a guided tour) if you can open the trunk like the doors etc., YES WE CAN! so i had around 10s to get as much information into my head as i could. The light grey parts you see through the rear sides are new to me, they looked like a massive half-barrell/Block with round edges and something looking like a window(sorry, cant describe it better, sie wa was 4-5high, 3-4wide,around3 thick), maybe a receiver, maybe a (new) motor, or a combination of both. This part/brick was on both sides next to the tires. Im a bit sad, that the "trunkdoor" was a bit small, but what i´ve saw, made my day. There was a boxer-engine sitting in the middle with a lot of stuff around it. Because of the limited time window and space, i could only see 4 cylinders, but there might be more because of the missing length of maybe 8-10 studs. My opinion is, there might be 6 cylinders directly combined with a pf-motor. i havent seen any cables, so they either cut them off or, like some off you guessed, it´s some bloutooth stuff. i personally would be fine with both. Sorry for not having an eidetic memory, but thats all

Before anyone asks about proof or something, you are not allowed to take photos in this area and there were about 20-30 Lego-Employees. I felt like Ethan Hunt with my mobile phone in my hand......but did not had the balls... :blush:

I hope the engineers and MOCcers of you can figure something out :classic:

Edited by Ebbi

Ebbi, did you see any gearbox parts in the rear? Did the grey parts look anything like the grey parts in this set?:

lego-nexo-knights-aaron-foxs-aero-striker-v2-70320-international-toy-fair-2016-zusammengebaut-andres-lehmann-945x630.jpg

Edited by Cumulonimbus

Did the grey round thing in the back look like any of these? (disregard the wires if they might have been cut)

A) 709670-300x160.png

B) 45301_Prod_01.jpg

C) 45303_Prod_01.jpg

Because so far nothing you said did confirm any Power Functions :(

Edited by scooper22

Ebbi, did you any gearbox parts in the rear? Did the grey parts look anything like the grey parts in this set?:

lego-nexo-knights-aaron-foxs-aero-striker-v2-70320-international-toy-fair-2016-zusammengebaut-andres-lehmann-945x630.jpg

Not the regular red and white wheels. The grey Parts looked more like a quarter of a battery box

Did the grey round thing in the back look like any of these? (disregard the wires if they might have been cut)

A) 709670-300x160.png

B) 45301_Prod_01.jpg

C) 45303_Prod_01.jpg

Because so far nothing you said did confirm any Power Functions :(

A bit like A, but the curved side was aiming to the sides (when you are looking from the top) and without the dark grey. The whitish windowthing from B might be the same. It looked like a New part to me. Like a mixture of A-B and a battery box

Edited by Ebbi

Because of the limited time window and space, i could only see 4 cylinders, but there might be more

I keep saying Porsche would not sign this off with power functions (in the drivetrain) if it doesn't at least reach walking pace (which is impossible for a model this size with the current PF), and likewise, they certainly would not sign this off with a 4-cylinder engine :classic: .

I wonder if the 'plain grey boxes' you saw were mockups (for a new PF system, obviously).

And to think I had myself convinced I was not gonna get exited about a 'supercar' release, especially not when it would turn out to be a 'plain' 911… how wrong I was.

Luckily, being married, I'm used to being wrong all the time :laugh:

Edited by JimDude

If these are the grey parts you are talking about:

jazu3Zf.pngqJDIb8K.png

These are part of the exhaust system, and i believe that they are only and not PF motors. This is roughly how the real one looks:

bNMv47Z.png

Also it does have a Boxer 6 Engine, and i doubt lego will put only 4 cylinders there.