What is the orange part you can see at 0:40 near the right rear wheel? You can also see it at 0:37 ont he left side.

U mean this? I also wondering...

e6ocp3.png

At 0:47 in the other CV joint is visable in the video, confirming that it's connected to the gearbox and paddle shifters.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

Probably because the axle length between the points is not an integer (whole number), and the father part of the CV joint have 1.5 module deep axle-hole.

That's what I thought, It seems to be very unlikely Lego would bring back that part.

I fixed the model, there was a issue with the spacing of the gears, I guess that opens up the options of 2x4 liftarms.

http://www.bricksafe... mechanism3.ldr

I gave 2x4 liftarms a try, and it doesn't look like they work, and neither do 5/4 length liftarms, you almost need a 4.5 length liftarm for it to work..

But where are the actual paddles? And still why the colour coded mess for a set aimed at 16+?

Yes, exactly what I'm thinking. By now I'm pretty convinced that we are looking at a sequential gearbox, but how to operate it? If the lever in the middle shifts up or down, then why would the mechanism be so close to the steering wheel? If it's supposed to mimic the flappy paddle gearbox, then where are the paddles? If the actual paddles are not attached yet in this preliminary model, then where could they possibly be attached?

Many many questions ...

Yes, I think that too, but from far away it looks like a integer distance (but who knows) and then why not 1 "-[ o-" and 1 "-x-". With two "-[ o-" the axle within can move. Okay. I'm drifting off, forget it :) It's totally OT

Has anybody tried basic enhancement of the photos at all? Quality suffers a bit, but I didn't know if it made anything else stand out more:

VNsB5pRl.png

Guys - possibility of new parts at work here, which would solve some of these linkage/connection problems?

Guys - possibility of new parts at work here, which would solve some of these linkage/connection problems?

That is highly likely, at the very least I have the exterior of the paddle shift box built, as accurately as possible from the limited photo's. Edited by John Daniels

I think It's possible to see one of the newer technic driving rings and the other orange liftarm used to actuate the gearbox.

I interpreted it something like this (similarly to the video of the MOC sequential gearbox posted here before):

1zdrsaq.jpg

The two frames should ensure a smooth linear movement as the input for the actual gearbox, the two orange links are out of phase 90 degrees to get the different gearbox ratios

I interpreted it something like this (similarly to the video of the MOC sequential gearbox posted here before):

1zdrsaq.jpg

The two frames should ensure a smooth linear movement as the input for the actual gearbox, the two orange links are out of phase 90 degrees to get the different gearbox ratios

There's a 3 stud long axle between the CV joints. Maybe the gears mesh in the center and provide power forwards to the shifter ?

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

So it might be like this idea I thought up years ago but with 4 speeds?

3outputtechnic.jpg

Still hoping for a more realistic six speed transmission with different sized clutch gears.

So it might be like this idea I thought up years ago but with 4 speeds?

3outputtechnic.jpg

Still hoping for a more realistic six speed transmission with different sized clutch gears.

Yeah it appears to be like that, unless there's something in between the two sets of driving rings. Or maybe the gear shifter in the center has 2 ratios that provide power through the gear box, and a neutral speed too?

So how are the chances the center switch is a tiptronic-gear-shifting-style with 4 gears and the linkage as shown in the

...?

Edit: hm, probably not good, as here the central stick is pointing to the rear, whereas for tiptronic it returns to the center position. Therefore it serves a different purpose.

Too tired, should go to bed and stop posting nonsense :) Good night everybody

Edited by scooper22

It surely looks like a sequential gearbox.

I would be very, very pleasantly surprised if it is more than a 4 speed sequential transmission. That has been shown multiple times already by several of us. Given the fact that the orange levers that connect to the linkage are not at 90 degree angles in all photos keeps my hopes up...

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

Wouldn't it be more likely that the center console shifter is for switching between forward, reverse, and park being that we are working out how the paddle shifters work. That is how it is in many cars that have a sequential gearbox.

Edited by RichiPuppy

I don't post on here much at all, but I have an off-topic statement. I'm amazed at the fact that in about a day and a half of effort, it seems like you guys have crowd-reverse-engineered what probably took a certified Lego designer a few weeks or months to come up with. I'm amazed at how quickly you all have come up with credible plans, just by analyzing a few not-so-great photos. Bravo! :classic:

I built up some more of the exterior of it, It didn't help too much, but I'm still not sure yet on the mechanism that toggles the knob gears, it could be a new 4 long beam with holes, but it's hard to tell without physical bricks on hand. It could be a lever or a linkage that meshes with a cam to advance the knob gears. I did mess around with how the knob gears could mesh with the CV joints, here's an attempt at that, It's hard to tell without a photo of the underside or a photo of the top of the model( I think this is incorrect, as of further looking at the photos there isn't a second set of knob gears visible.). The problem I am running into is the issue with the one way pawls that the driving ring catches are used for, I need to think more about how both knob gears can rotate the same direction, but cause the output shaft to turn a different direction, or maybe they both turn it the same direction? It also looks very tight for someone to fit their fingers between the massive steering column mount and the paddles.

Transparent parts were used for unknown beam lengths.

24582796781_145ab7f6a6_c.jpgScreen Shot 2016-01-28 at 4.11.58 PM by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

24650118426_3d74e4fb80_c.jpgScreen Shot 2016-01-28 at 4.12.06 PM by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

A last contribution for today from me, I have built part of the structure to get a feeling for the proportions:

r9qr5w.jpg

And it just got a little stranger: The "sliders" end at the place where the passengers area is, so there is an extra linkage needed to connect with the mysterious engine bay.

Another thing is this: could the central lever change the ratio between the left and right selector mechanism? If true, this could mean more than 4 gear ratios.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

A last contribution for today from me, I have built part of the structure to get a feeling for the proportions:

And it just got a little stranger: The "sliders" end at the place where the passengers area is, so there is an extra linkage needed to connect with the mysterious engine bay.

Another thing is this: could the central lever change the ratio between the left and right selector mechanism? If true, this could mean more than 4 gear ratios.

Thats my thought too, but I don't think the two have a linkage between them It doesn't appear that there is any way for a connection to the "shifter" in the center of the car, I think It would be manual, as there is only 4 positions for the transmission to be in with the knob gears. Maybe a High and low range for the transmission?

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky