Wouldn't that be very bad for the motor? Those spring things are very hard to turn

Not if a servo is used, it has the needed troque.... But still it makes no sense to make such steering because forcing servo motor when steering manually is not good. I still belive the car has an all RC mode where steering wheel and fake engine are diconnected and a full manual motor where the steering wheel and fake engine are enggaged with the drive motors dissengaged. Hence the center red switch.

And their sidebar ads are NSFW and NSFC

AFAIK ads at least by google are generated on YOUR last searches :devil:

Edited by Zblj

I think they're talking about the orange part seen just above the rubber bands:

The steering wheel axle would go though the orange part and could thus be auto-centered. Nice idea if true and clever guessing :)

Edit: I found an actual implementation of this, learn something new every day...

pf_steering_centerreturn1.jpg

That upsidedown steering wheel on the Porsche, tho... :wacko:

If a servo were driving the steering then this would support the return to dead center. Seems unnecessary, but if the linkages go to a servo all the way at the back then maybe it helps.

Other possibility is that the steering is manual and this re-centers just for fun.

I see new panels! Hopefully this set won't cost more than $140...

(That is, unless this model is motorized!)

Edited by DamonMM2000

Expected to cost 300 EUR or 330 USD according to current exchange rates.

This is clearly a premium 2000+ part set with a ton of features, probably a really nice book about Porsche too.

Unconfirmed rumors state maybe 300+ USD. Power Functions maybe likely, RC maybe possibly

Edit: all those Ninjas :D I'm off making dinner...

Edited by scooper22

Expected to cost 300 EUR or 330 USD according to current exchange rates.

This is clearly a premium 2000+ part set with a ton of features, probably a really nice book about Porsche too.

This model is clearly bigger than I originally thought! :laugh: Edited by DamonMM2000

It's important to note that more orange elements can be seen on the photos, so what you see in the steering area might be just another orange part, not that spring thing.

Plus an auto center steering in such a scale would make no sense. Real cars don't have it (excluding the suspension geometry), a manual model don't need it, an RC model will surely have a servo, and with such a huge weight and such big wheels, auto centering wouldn't work at all.

Still, there might be a hockey spring, but it's used for the paddle shifting mechanism.

I don't want to hijack the thread, I'm just too excited.

Paddle shifting: allanp is right, there is something missing. In this state, it would need huge force to operate. But so much hassle for only an indicator feature?

Edited by Lipko

Ok here's some progress, I think I have most of the parts in the correct places, I just need to figure out how the two knob gears are connected together and to the CV joint. Here's the file to play around with. http://www.bricksafe.com/files/Tommy_styrvoky/Lego%20Porsche%20paddle%20shifting%20mechanism.ldr

24555030412_edf44ca56a_c.jpgLego Technic Porsche paddle shifting mechanism by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

24672846285_66e6cb2c23_c.jpgTechnic Porsche paddle shifting mechanism by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr]

24555050302_5e6f10d841_c.jpgTechnic Porsche paddle shifting mechanism by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Placing the 7x5 bracket will give you some hints too. And I think the ++ rubber pieces are pointing towards the rear of the car.

Placing the 7x5 bracket will give you some hints too. And I think the ++ rubber pieces are pointing towards the rear of the car.

Brackets added, I changed the pins in the center of the paddles to a 5l axle with stop, I'm not entirely sure what color that should be, so I left it in tan.

Updated file here. http://www.bricksafe.com/files/Tommy_styrvoky/Lego%20Porsche%20paddle%20shifting%20mechanism2.ldr

24555382602_f1fd01bcf9_c.jpgLego Technic Porsche paddle shifting mechanism by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

AFAIK ads at least by google are generated on YOUR last searches :devil:

Those ah-hem 'window-dressings' are certainly not generated by Google, as they point back to the Auto Bild site. My Google-generated ads lately have been chain-saws (100 year old tree fell during last storm), tools, and tractors lately. Haven't seen any cars or Porsches pop up yet.

Back on track.

Nice explanation of the change-over catch. Do you think the two of them are linked, work in opposite directions, or attached to two separate functions?

Those ah-hem 'window-dressings' are certainly not generated by Google, as they point back to the Auto Bild site. My Google-generated ads lately have been chain-saws (100 year old tree fell during last storm), tools, and tractors lately. Haven't seen any cars or Porsches pop up yet.

Back on track.

Nice explanation of the change-over catch. Do you think the two of them are linked, work in opposite directions, or attached to two separate functions?

They have to be linked together and rotate in the same direction ( I Think). Because one shifter would advance it, and the other one would return it back the opposite direction.

I Think I found another interesting piece to the puzzle inside of it. Also I guess the lower bracket disproves the option of it being a Servo motor, as it's in the same position. I am very doubtful this model will have new PF, maybe a M motor and battery box for some functions, but not full RC.

24046560113_0359d825eb.jpgyjUBEN8 by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

The lower one is not a bracket, it doesn't have side holes.

There's something that looks like a bracket one stud below it, look where the CV joint meshes and on the side next to the door mechanism. The bracket on my model is incorrect then It should be lowered by a stud.

Here's a thought about how the mechanism should operate, though I don't know yet how the 5l beam gets moved out of position with the opposite side advancing, then the advancing side paddle has to have the other 5l beam shift out and return to the start position.

24046796903_9e88f4b04b_c.jpgScreen Shot 2016-01-28 at 12.57.27 PM by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

The lower yellow knob wheel can't move as described by the blue arrow as it will be stopped by the red catch.

The lower yellow knob wheel can't move as described by the blue arrow as it will be stopped by the red catch.

Yup I know that's the problem, along with the other 5l liftarm, maybe there isn't a direct coupling between the two, Or if they both rotated the same direction, but changed direction of the CV joint Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

The question for me is - what is it supposed to do? Turn the axle (which rotation gets translated further below the seat to the back, to the orange +O, to the black suspension arm, to a gearbox?) And by how much?

The question for me is - what is it supposed to do? Turn the axle (which rotation gets translated further below the seat to the back, to the orange +O, to the black suspension arm, to a gearbox?) And by how much?

A quarter of a turn (90°) , thus advance the position of the driving ring catches and change the gear. Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

The video

has some in-movement close-ups from the left and right side of the dashboard, maybe it helps getting a 3D-feeling and an additional glimpse.

If this is fully remote controlled then will this enable gear changes manually as well as by remote, or will gear changing not be remote controlled? If the car is RC then I hope the gear changing can be done via remote also.

The knob wheels cannot be directly connected, because that would mean a two direction movement, which is prevented by the red catch.

The video shows that there's no hockey spring, just an orange 2L lever and yellow angle connector.

I really think that this discussion should go in a separate thread.

The knob wheels cannot be directly connected, because that would mean a two direction movement, which is prevented by the red catch.

The video shows that there's no hockey spring, just an orange 2L lever and yellow angle connector.

I really think that this discussion should go in a separate thread.

That's what I thought, It seems to be very unlikely Lego would bring back that part.

I fixed the model, there was a issue with the spacing of the gears, I guess that opens up the options of 2x4 liftarms.

http://www.bricksafe... mechanism3.ldr

24580336311_3683404630_c.jpgScreen Shot 2016-01-28 at 1.25.43 PM by Tommy Styrvoky, on Flickr

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

Now I really doubt it will have any RC functions. It looks like TLG trying make copy for as much from real car as possible (like sequential gearbox with paddles, boxer engine, etc). Still wonder what clutch in the middle of cab doing...

The video

has some in-movement close-ups from the left and right side of the dashboard, maybe it helps getting a 3D-feeling and an additional glimpse.

What is the orange part you can see at 0:40 near the right rear wheel? You can also see it at 0:37 ont he left side.