Jim

42054 - Claas Xerion 5000 Trac VC

A pendular axle is not for suspesion, but keeping all 4 wheels to the ground on uneven surfaces.

Suspension on a tractor would never work well because of the great diferences in loads, and the stability.

That's my understanding also. So it should have a swinging front axle then as I can see it's mentioned in some of the offcial Claas links here (but still not in that 65 page pdf)

I've always wanted something like the Unimog (different attachments at both sides, big tyres) but not the Unimog set itself because I find the Unimog set pretty lame. But now I've found what I wanted: the Xerion!

The Xerion is like the Unimog but way way way cooler:

- It's a farming machinery, not another truck, so it adds diversity to my collection.

- It doesn't have lousy pneumatics.

- It doesn't have a lousy crane.

- It doesn't have a non-functional dump bed.

- It doesn't look like a downgrade from another set (MB Arocs)

- It doesn't have lousy suspensions.

- It doesn't have boring winch.

- It has way way way cooler steering.

Definitely a must-get for me.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

This set reminds me a lot of the Unimog - however I prefer this because it's a farming machine, looks very good, has lots of functionality ... I mean heck, yet alone those amazing steering options are enough to make me buy this set. Amazing set!

And now when TLG has licence on CLAAS... let's hope for Lexion next year! :wink:

Well in that case i sure hope the steering works better than the Unimog. Remember how hard it was to turn due to the weight of the model and how the steering was built. :angry: It could be fixed but i never did that. I really don't see how you could redesign this steering though with 3 modes that must work.

Also the plow sure looks way less clunky than the crane. It is as if the parts needed to make both just wouldn't work well for a crane. Well i don't care since now we do have another set with attachment points that will be really nice and playable. Also i can't stress this enough: those awesome tires. :wub: I for one will not wanna look those up on bricklink after this set is out. :look:

I really like this set and it is a must buy for me. especially the tires are great.

A pendular axle is no suspension , its just a way to make sure all wheels have contact with the ground.

And i own a Massey ferguson tractor 6270 and it has a pendular axle in the front that also is suspended.

It has hydraulic pistons and some sort of gas that can be compressed. and with a switch inside the cabine you can turn the suspension off for use with equipment in the field.

When i drive on road, even with attachments in the front and/or back the suspension works.

I think it's the same tractor but with a different attachment. This is looking at the tractor from the rear, you can see the steering mode lever.

I really like this set and it is a must buy for me. especially the tires are great.

A pendular axle is no suspension , its just a way to make sure all wheels have contact with the ground.

And i own a Massey ferguson tractor 6270 and it has a pendular axle in the front that also is suspended.

It has hydraulic pistons and some sort of gas that can be compressed. and with a switch inside the cabine you can turn the suspension off for use with equipment in the field.

When i drive on road, even with attachments in the front and/or back the suspension works.

Thanx for the info, quite interesting :thumbup:

I think it's the same tractor but with a different attachment. This is looking at the tractor from the rear, you can see the steering mode lever.

Yes, it's just Unimog style b-model. Which is okay. Would be cool if Unimog/Claas attachments would fit either vehicle though :thumbup:

The plough attachment goes a long way to explaining the seemingly superfluous pieces on the crane. Compromises have to be made somewhere (e.g. battery box in the engine compartment) and I think they've made the right choices here.

It's also worth noting that Claas would have signed off on this as well, so it's accurate enough for them.

This is a must buy for me. I like how they've combined cabin lift and rotation in one operation - even though it's a bit unrealistic that rotation starts before lift. Steering modes are all there. Wheels look great. It seems they may have sacrificed the fake engine and drive train entirely. That's a shame but sacrifices have to be made to fit everything in a narrow body. Hopefully the front pendular suspension is present.

The crane is kinda strange but on the other hand it's nice that at least one attachment is included.

I certainly will bis it, too!

I agree with the cabin, turn before lifting is not so authentic. It is good to know the creators had a hard time findong space for the functions...������������

JB

-------------------------

Edited by JBTechnic

Suspension on a tractor would never work well because of the great diferences in loads, and the stability.

Except on a JCB Fastrac, which is suspended, and that is a whole set of arguments on tractor forums that we don't need here :grin:

But we can agree that tractors very rarely have suspension, right? I know many six-wheeled forrest vehicles have trailing arms, but still no proper suspension

So, you troll tractor forums then, eh? :laugh:

Yes, that is a big selling point for Claas (according to that 65 page pdf). No sore bum in this tractor!

What about the profile on the tyres...when I built mine we had a discussion which direction the profile should be

Edit: looks right on the box, but not on the model

Edited by JBTechnic

The pattern is in the right direction, but the chevron should have a wider angle :

XERION_5000_550.jpg

Edited by 1974

Suspension is not rare on a tractor. Most new tractors have it. Even Claas tractors. For example the Claas Arion and the Claas Axion range. The tread on the tires is the right way but what is the right way. This way the most power is deliverd on the ground but when you turn the wheels around, the chevrons the other way, you will have less tire wear on the road. It depends what work you are doing with the tractor.

Yes, that was the conclusion I was coming to - bit of a shame.

I'm not a tractor expert but I do not think that 'most tractors' have it. The Class vehicles are certainly not the tractors you see everyday, they're like the Porsche of the tractor world

Normal tractors, Ford, John Deere etc have NO suspension (but maybe a perpendicular trailing arm at the front) .. at least the ones I've been in

I was wondering how that steering is made. So i tried to build it :)

It most certainly is more complex than that. The biggest issue with having multiple steering modes is to make sure the phase of the front & rear wheels stay intact. Your setup will only work if you switch mode when all wheels are at 0 degrees at the time of switching. If you switch from front-wheel steering to 4 wheel steering while the front wheels are still angled it will start to jam up pretty quickly.

In the demonstration video you can actually see the guy switching while the wheels were not in neutral position. That is some really clever mechanics inside...

My bet is on a linkage system, but I haven't figured out yet what kind of linkage...

Edited by Jeroen Ottens

So you, with you're minimal knowledge of all things Technic, how do you think it's done? :wink:

Cheers,

Ole