Jim

42054 - Claas Xerion 5000 Trac VC

I've just finished building the Claas. The whole body is so dense and detailed and full of reinforcements that it took 3/4 of my building time. The crane can stand on its own 2 outriggers, which is amazing.

I bought mine at ToysRus in Austria yesterday and they had plenty more ... maybe they have it in other countries too ...

Thank you for the tip, I got mine today at ToysRUs in Germany, same offer, 15% off all LEGO above 30 Euros. For those interested, the offer lasts until August 3rd.

Can't wait to put my hands on those tires now.

Tesco-direct (UK) are selling this for £90.00 - 25% off.

Note that is is miss-classified and not in technical lego and you need to search for lego 42054

Thanks for this heads up, I just ordered mine, I had been waiting for the bus that didn't come but this 25% saving is much better - what made it even better is the wife had £30 of club card vouchers... Let's hope she doesn't miss them

Too much!

I really don't think that TLG cares about any pattern from every company ! Mercedes and Volvo both happen to have very good models! I don't see any other companies with technic sets otherwise

I didn't mean TLG would make a set from every company. What I meant is the companies that have had sets released (Volvo, Mercedes), have each had 2 sets so far (42053, 42030, 42043, and 8110). So it wouldn't be off base to hope for another Claas set.

I didn't mean TLG would make a set from every company. What I meant is the companies that have had sets released (Volvo, Mercedes), have each had 2 sets so far (42053, 42030, 42043, and 8110). So it wouldn't be off base to hope for another Claas set.

I might have mis-explained myself. TLG worked with 4 companies so far and the fact they released 2 Mercedes trucks and 2 Volvo machines does not mean they will logically follow any pattern and release another Class or Porsche in the same idea. For Mercedes, I think that it is just 2 really nice truck that happened to be originating from the same company. For Volvo, as somebody already pointed, it was the idea of TLG to do a Wheeled excavator and they happened to choose the Volvo as they worked with them before. The 2nd collaboration with Volvo looks more like a consequence of an idea than the actual origin of one !

One can still keep its hope up though ! I juSt don't think there are any rules of thumb here !

In Latvia now EUR 174.75. And they telling, that it is discount, even if in official local catalogue price is almost the same.

Will have to by abroad or wait for real discounts on Christmas.

Hello to all who have this set already. There with you also visible color differences of Lime parts? I find this very annoying.

Almost completed the build and I see the differences as well but it really depends on the light source. As long as I see the model in daylight there are no visible differences. However when I place the model under a lightbulb I notice that some parts are less bright lime green than the other parts.

Love the model though, it's so reach on details :classic:

Mine is almost finished, have to built the cabin and the crane, stopped at page 220, have to go to work in 2 hours

Mine is almost finished, have to built the cabin and the crane, stopped at page 220, have to go to work in 2 hours

When I was building the set, it took 3/8 of the building time to build the cabin and attacments...

Edited by dimaks13

Note that is is miss-classified and not in technical lego and you need to search for lego 42054

Great spot, I was a bit puzzled as to why the Claas wasn't in the Technic line. With certain current events reducing the potential saving on European Amazon discounts, this should be the best price for anyone [in the UK] who doesn't want to wait for the better part of a year.

I've ordered mine to pick up tomorrow. Time to see what these tyres are made of* :devil:

*Anyone who replies with "rubber" will have a large tub of Mega Blocks waiting for them at home...

Edited by Jay Psi

just ordered one on Click & Collect ... but can't collect till Friday as I'm just off on a business trip.

wonder when Tesco realise they should be selling it for £119 !

Was tempted to buy 2 sets just for the wheels alone ... but managed to resist as I can use the savings to either complete my MCU minifigure collection or purchase the Creator Beetle

I was right - silage plow has 1 manual and 1 motorized functions. But I don't understand, what actuator does.

Edited by dimaks13

I was right - silage plow has 1 manual and 1 motorized functions. But I don't understand, what actuator does.

I am bulding it right now, it allows to change angle of the plow.

Manual function turn the plough left and right.

It is not so great as it sounds - it barely tilts the plow. I'll post some pictures soon.

I don't really get the hate for the crane. I've done building the set, and I really like the crane. It's compact, it uses interesting building techniques, and it can stand on its outriggers. The grabber and extension to me are purely decorative, so I'm not really bothered by them.

Anyone wants to see model B in action?

28619686662_b1d808ae16_b.jpg

42054 B model by Marek Markiewicz, on Flickr

There's not too much to say about it. I think that it is based on some silage plows like this one:

As you can see real one is basicaly few sheets of steel and some hydraulics, LEGO version is much bulkier, because it has gearbox in the middle. It is even worst than the crane, because both functions in this plow could be manualy operated. And tilting is limited to very small range.

Edited by M_longer

It is even worst than the crane, because both functions in this plow could be manualy operated.

But all functions of the crane also can be manually operated.

Also, how many pieces are left after rebuilding the attachments?

Edited by dimaks13

But all functions of the crane also can be manually operated.

Also, how many pieces are left after rebuilding attachments?

OK, maybe I wrote it in wrong way.

This B model should be built without all that gears and that bulky middle part. I think that it could look better then.

Buliding process, completed model and leftover parts:

01.jpg_thumb.jpg 02.jpg_thumb.jpg 03.jpg_thumb.jpg 04.jpg_thumb.jpg 05.jpg_thumb.jpg

06.jpg_thumb.jpg 07.jpg_thumb.jpg 08.jpg_thumb.jpg 09.jpg_thumb.jpg 10.jpg_thumb.jpg

11.jpg_thumb.jpg 12.jpg_thumb.jpg 13.jpg_thumb.jpg 14.jpg_thumb.jpg 15.jpg_thumb.jpg

16.jpg_thumb.jpg 17.jpg_thumb.jpg 18.jpg_thumb.jpg 19.jpg_thumb.jpg 20.jpg_thumb.jpg

21.jpg_thumb.jpg 22.jpg_thumb.jpg 23.jpg_thumb.jpg 24.jpg_thumb.jpg 25.jpg_thumb.jpg

26.jpg_thumb.jpg 27.jpg_thumb.jpg 28.jpg_thumb.jpg 29.jpg_thumb.jpg 30.jpg_thumb.jpg

31.jpg_thumb.jpg 32.jpg_thumb.jpg 33.jpg_thumb.jpg 34.jpg_thumb.jpg 35.jpg_thumb.jpg

36.jpg_thumb.jpg 37.jpg_thumb.jpg 38.jpg_thumb.jpg 39.jpg_thumb.jpg

Edited by M_longer

I just finished the build:

28109170654_71286a7b28_c.jpg

Now finish the write up and the review will be up in a day or two....finally.

I'd rather keep the crane then.

I think the crane is quite good:

28694295996_ee0ee03b10_c.jpg

Can't wait to read the review even though I already build the set. Always a pleasure to see the photos taken by Jim, they look better than the actual model in front of me :D

Edited by Freekysch

Jim, I'm simply in :wub: with your great and outstanding clear quality pictures. I mean you even make the crane arm look great, even though I don't like its design much :wink:. Can't wait for your review, especially all the pictures!

Also I'd be interested to know if you can turn the cabin manually - not using the motor at all - or do you risk to damage something by doing so? Also do you think it's easy to mod the cabin to make it less flimsy? It seems like the worst part of the tractor to me, so far I always saw the cabin going left or right when trying to turn the tractor via the HOG knob right behind it?

In other news, Huw's (brickset.com) review of the Claas is live: http://brickset.com/...on-5000-trac-vc

Edited by Emmi