Jim

42054 - Claas Xerion 5000 Trac VC

The simplest ideas are often the best one's. :classic:

I can't see the partnership with Claas being a one off, so here's hoping we might be lucky and see a combine or a forage harvester both of which could make use of those new tyres.

Edited by Technic-Kobaltz

The simplest ideas are often the best one's. :classic:

I can't see the partnership with Claas being a one off, so here's hoping we might be lucky and see a combine or a forage harvester both of which could make use of those new tyres.

Well, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo have had two sets apiece so far, so you never know.

Thanks barman.

I'm still figuring it out myself but as soon as I do Im going to try and simply it so it fits in a smaller spaces.

Edited by SNIPE

True, I forgot combines and backhoes, but backhoe is technically some kind of tractor :laugh:

When it comes to graders and wheel loaders, I've never seen them with this kind of tire, though. I blame that, lol.

The graders and wheel loaders we make are fitted with either agricultural tires (same as Claas) or what we call Radial tires (like the lego volvo wheel loader). Whether a customer wants one type or another if tires, depends on the intended application. Agricultural tres are preferre for construction projects, where there ir loose dirt and mud. Radial tires are preferred for snow cleaning on major roads and airports.

The agricultural (ribbed) tires have better traction on loose/muddy/soft soil. However, they are not used on smooth and hard surfaces as they generate a lot of vibration for the operator. The last thing you want is a tired operator with a numb 'rear-end' operating dangerous machinery.

Edited by DrJB

Thank you all for the kind reations.

@GroundskeeperWillie, Nice that your 3 year old liked playing with it. I don't think Ideas is the right way of making this into a set. It only requires parts most Technic builders have (color doesn't matter) so the LDD file is good enough for people who want to build it.

@SNIPE, Good luck making this concept smaller.This shouldn't be to hard.

Hello guys and thanks to Barman,

I made a few improvements or simplifications to the steering mechanism of ingenious Barman. It is so dead simple and yet effective. I would have never beleaved since the first movies of the upcoming 42054 appeared. I'm sure this will be helpful for future mocs.

Attached you can find the LDD-file.

42054 Steering Principle v1.1.lxf.zip

http://img4web.com/view/ZUR3DH

Nice work Barman, I really like you elegant solution. I'm also very curious how similar this solution will be compared to the one the Lego designers came up with.

Do I understand correctly that in your mechanism, the ratio between the steering input front and rear could be changed continuously if it wasn't limited by the preset positions of the gear selector?

Nice work Barry, great search.

I have studied the youtube articles today.

The Xerion is 21 studs in width.

The fenders are 6 studs, 4 green and 2 black beames, and between the fenders are 9 studs.

This is the minimum width of the tractor at the stairs and the original folder says the minimum width is 2500mm.

21 studs x 8mm = 168mm

2500 : 168 = 14,88

The scale of the Xerion is almost 1:15

O no, just discovered that the outside black beam is wider then the staircase.

Tractor could also be 19 x 8mm = 152mm

2500 : 152 = 16.45

Scale could be 1:16.5

Then we have to check the tires for the right scale

Then the only way is the wheelbase of 3600mm but that is difficult to count in studs on the pictures that we have. We probably have to wait until august.

That is a shame because i wanted to make a Srautmann Giga Vitesse for it.

Very nice Barman. I plan to build this to learn different steering principles. This is what I love about this forum... So many people sharing techniques so we can all learn and advance the "State of the Art" of LEGO.

Andy D

Then the only way is the wheelbase of 3600mm but that is difficult to count in studs on the pictures that we have. We probably have to wait until august.

That is a shame because i wanted to make a Srautmann Giga Vitesse for it.

Nice choice! :thumbup: I am planing a Fliegl ASW 391.

JB

Nice work Barman, I really like you elegant solution. I'm also very curious how similar this solution will be compared to the one the Lego designers came up with.

Do I understand correctly that in your mechanism, the ratio between the steering input front and rear could be changed continuously if it wasn't limited by the preset positions of the gear selector?

your correct, almost like a cvt transmission you can choose any ratio of steering in between the 2 endstops, it works better with the 3 selector positions as they hold the steering in place. you would have to use a small LA in order to fine tune the positioning of the selector and hold it in place. if you have the pieces to build it, i would, as its a really good base for building vehicles or tractor.

Barman, wonderful recreation, now were just waiting on dokludi to recreate the whole machine:)

This tractor is fantastic! From what I've seen so far, this is the only 2016 must buy item for me. Maybe the Porsche too.

Tractor comes with the new fender peice in black too.

Hi!

I don't think that you will find a straight scale....based on the wheels (107,4 mm) I came up with a scale of approx. 1:19

I tried to realize 1:16 on mine...

http://www.eurobrick...ic=114518&st=75

JB

Exactly, to use scale based on tires is the only sense IMHO. Another problem is that LEGO tires are very very wide compared to real ones...but that's the way that LEGO choose and we have to respect it and deal with it...

:thumbup:

Will be hitting my stores this September, possibly in time for my 26th Birthday!

At the moment, here's what the wheel hub assembly should look like:

25004417173_f8d913fc5b_b.jpg

25512455602_3648a44d66_b.jpg

25604955766_c2ae186acd_b.jpg

25631114065_61e5bb4b1b_b.jpg

25604952186_6cd5b385fc_b.jpg

I belive (hope) TLG used a new kind of hub for the Porsche and the Xerion, since any of these is rather tricky to work with without using links or steering arms due to the ball joints.