Jim

42054 - Claas Xerion 5000 Trac VC

That doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I'll try to build this mockup from Barman tomorrow and show you in a video, because I really think he nailed the mechanism that will be in the model.

Great work Barman! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I see potential to use this for my Batmobile :sweet:

That mechanism is ingenious. The wheels don't have to be aligned, basically it has continuous transition between the steering modes.

I though it's not possible in a simple way, but Barman proved me wrong. And proved that I am so far from being smart...

I think that's it...

Couple pf threads ago I posted this idea:

25475070872_0b0d491e1f.jpgIMG_0378 by JB Technic, on Flickr

But could figure out how to compensate the length...

I think on the Lego videos you can see the adjusting stick moving out when the steering wheel is turned.

JB

The LDD file can be animated: just remove the gears, the switching arm and one of the T-beams and start to rotate:

crab_steering.jpg

4w_steering.jpgnormal_steering.jpg

It seems news travels fast...

I had to wait over night for the Rebrickable approval, so it toke me a day extra, but here is the video to make it all clear.

Sorry, can't seem to find out how to embed a Youtube video :look:

@Appie, Thanks buddy

@Lipko, I think you're still a smart guy :wink: It was a stroke of luck finding out how this system works.

Edited by Blakbird
: Embedded video

It seems news travels fast...

I had to wait over night for the Rebrickable approval, so it toke me a day extra, but here is the video to make it all clear.

Sorry, can't seem to find out how to embed a Youtube video :look:

@Appie, Thanks buddy

@Lipko, I think you're still a smart guy :wink: It was a stroke of luck finding out how this system works.

Thank you so much for sharing your idea. For someone like me who's still struggling to finish his first MOC after a dark age spanning some 20 years, work such as yours is truly humbling and inspiring.

I think this mechanism would be a great add-on for multi-axled machines such as cranes where wheels can steer either in normal or crab fashion and where you cant afford slack/desynchronisations between axles. I'd like to see an 8 wheel version of this. Kudos to Barman.

Now that they take the effort to actually make proper tractor tires, I can't imagine it will be only for this set and then never again.

But I guess it requires more actual tractor models if they're going to release more sets with those tires in the future. There's not many machines except tractors using that kind of tire.

This really is lego at its best. Thank you Barman and others, for a fascinating 'learning' experience.

Edited by DrJB

Thanks everyone for the nice reactions and compliments. It is nice to read that people are going to use this system in there MOCs. Happy to be of service.

I think the tires are a one off, because Claas could have demanded it not to use standard Lego tires.

Like Error404 says that the type of tire is mostly used for tractors.

The future will tell...

Edited by barman

Hope to see a smaller version of them, so I can replace all the tires on my 8482 tractor and use them on my copy off the P.F. Backhoe V2 from Jurgen.

Now that they take the effort to actually make proper tractor tires, I can't imagine it will be only for this set and then never again.

But I guess it requires more actual tractor models if they're going to release more sets with those tires in the future. There's not many machines except tractors using that kind of tire.

I think the tyre is a one-set-only part, like the huge bucket for Volvo 42030.

In fact, most of the construction and agricultural machines use those tires: backhoe, wheel loader, grader, combine harvester, ... I hope we see such tires in more official sets. It would also help if they came in different sizes too.

In fact, most of the construction and agricultural machines use those tires: backhoe, wheel loader, grader, combine harvester, ... I hope we see such tires in more official sets. It would also help if they came in different sizes too.

Backhoe & grader confirmed as 2017 sets? :laugh:

True, I forgot combines and backhoes, but backhoe is technically some kind of tractor :laugh:

When it comes to graders and wheel loaders, I've never seen them with this kind of tire, though. I blame that, lol.

Barman, good job on figuring this out. This is way simpler than I expected and still very reliable.