Jim

42054 - Claas Xerion 5000 Trac VC

On that video the tires look as hard as stone, I am affraid they are out of really hard rubber...

Wasn't this likely to be the case anyway? Most tyres currently in production are made of the harder rubber, particularly the larger tyres. I'm disappointed as well but I didn't expect softer rubber at all.

Found another video at youtube from spieletest.at (in German).

At 1:48 you can see some moving parts of the steering mechanism.

Its a green bar rotating (moving from left to right) just in front of the back wheels.

It moves always in the same direction but the wheels turn differently, depending the selected steering mode.

I think its linked to the axes inside the cabin, going downwards.

Note sure if we mean the same thing, but the thing that strikes me about that video is the fact that the lever to select the drive modes is moving while steering in the crab- and 4wheel steer. My guess is that the lever is a direct connection with the steering mechanism of the rear wheels and might be a clue to solve the alignment issue.

And that lever mechanism is what i created in LDD in my previous post (#202 Page 9) but can't figure out how this is connected to the HOG and the axles

I think the way he selects the steer mode is also a clue. He lifts the selector and then moves left or right into position

I don't know about this type of tractor, but most of the tractors I have seen use low pressure hard rubber tires. Disappointing for us, but accurate at leasr

You could make the steering mechanism using a diffrential and blocking either axle...But dont know how the crab steering would work than...

You could make the steering mechanism using a diffrential and blocking either axle...But dont know how the crab steering would work than...

This post from 2011 presents a Xerion Saddle Trac with differential-based crab steering. But I doubt that's the technique used in the 42054.

This video shows how it works:

Edited by GroundskeeperWillie

In the video, the steering selector moves in and out when steered. It also has to be lifted and then moved left right or center to choose steering mode. And, in front wheel steer mode, the selector sits slightly higher than in the other two modes.

This is what I came up with that would have similar selector properties as well as fairly simple. And I know the proportions are completely incorrect.

The black pieces are the steering assembly. The orange pieces represent the mode selector which is also connected to the steering system so that is moves forward and back when steered. The selector is shown in the front wheel only position. It would be moved either left or right to select the other modes. The selector would latch onto the red beam. The blue bits would lock the wheels in front wheel only mode.

post-126511-0-22636800-1454735015_thumb.jpg

I'm worried about the steering, from the demonstration videos it looks a bit uncomfortable to steer right behind the cabin.

I just hope that steering NEVER ever again turns out being so horrible as with 8110 Unimog U400. All of a sudden I can hardly steer anymore, but I don't see what could be wrong, it's simply horrible and I have no idea how that survived test sessions.

Back to 42054, I absolutely love that the cabin is minifig-scale. There's two knobs so you can sit a minifig in there :sweet:

Edited by Emmi

Back to 42054, I absolutely love that the cabin is minifig-scale. There's two knobs so you can sit a minifig in there :sweet:

Agree! in absence of a new TechnicFig, we can at least use some normal minifigures :classic:. The 42055 aslo can.

Does this one have a cabin suspension, like the real-life Claas? From the demonstration videos I've seen I believe ... am very confident it has.

Does this one have a cabin suspension, like the real-life Claas? From the demonstration videos I've seen I believe ... am very confident it has.

Do you mean that the cabin lifts up and down?

If so then, yes! But it lifts when the cabin already turns. On the real one the cabin lifts first, once it reached its heigth then it starts to turn.

Like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qs9pKcTaDag

or like this:

JB

No, I mean if the cabin has suspension - the real one does have, I don't mean the lifting feature. Also this picture shows the lever mechanism to switch between the three different steering methods better.

xerion_steering.jpg

Also do we have a rough idea how this will compare to the 8110 Unimog - size wise (length, width, height)? To me it looks around the same overall, the tyres will be bigger, right?

xerion_side.jpg

Edited by Emmi

The lifting mechanism is indeed intriguing, haven't even figured out how it COULD work, same goes for the steering-mechanism-switch. Very intriguing functions this set has to offer, I love it!

I think the cab lifting mechanism simply slides over tilted structure and lifts the cabing... Just slopes and gravity, you can see some tilted #3 connectors in the video.

Could this have something to do in regards to the lifting mechanism??? I suppose one of these could be at either side?

xerion_lifting.jpg

In anticipation of the release of the Claas model I have decided to build 8859. It was one of those sets that I always wanted as a child, but never got. I bought it last year. I had not build any "vintage" models recently. The instructions are really cool. You sometimes have to guess where the pieces have to go. If you don't pay attention to the required pieces you will for sure miss things. I'm looking forward for a side to side comparison with the Claas.

I also plan to build 8859 Tractor. I liked it so much as a child but never got back then. I purchased it right after my dark ages and it met my expectations. I'm going to buy 8284 Tractor as well and put these three next to each other for comparsion. I have high anticipation regarding Claas and will MOC it definitely. I wonder if 4WD and fake engine could be implemented instead of PF with the same steering.

I also plan to build 8859 Tractor. I liked it so much as a child but never got back then. I purchased it right after my dark ages and it met my expectations. I'm going to buy 8284 Tractor as well and put these three next to each other for comparsion. I have high anticipation regarding Claas and will MOC it definitely. I wonder if 4WD and fake engine could be implemented instead of PF with the same steering.

I do also hope so. This beauty needs to get a 4wd with xl motor to be driven on grass at the garden!!

Not sure if anyone has seen

video, but it is in English and has some great really close-up shots. One take-away to note is that it looks like the PTO is only in the rear.

Not sure if anyone has seen

video, but it is in English and has some great really close-up shots. One take-away to note is that it looks like the PTO is only in the rear.

Thank you for the link, the video triggered me to give the steering mechanism a try. The image below shows the progress so far. Note that this in not a reproduction of the Xerion set, I just want to figure out a system that could work, and then compare it to the "official" soluction of TLG.

3589ycn.jpg

Some explanation:

- The HOG always steers the front axle

- From the front axle, two links (green and blue) send linear steering inputs to the back of the vehicle and each work in opposite directions.

- Near the rear axle a crude gearbox has 3 positions: connect with the blue link, a neutral (locked) position and one where a connection is made with the green link.

- The gear shifter (not shown yet) is directly connected to the rear steering, exactly how exactly is something I still need to figure out.

The system should work like this:

One link will send identical steering input form the front to the rear, making the vehicle crab steer. The other link will send an opposite steering input from the front to the rear, making the vehicle 4-wheel steer. The central locked position will fix the rear wheel in place and disconnect the rear steering from the front, leaving only the front wheels steering.

To be continued...

Edited by Cumulonimbus