Jim

42054 - Claas Xerion 5000 Trac VC

Im not very experienced in TECHNIC, but i think, that solution to make 3 modes of steering is simple. You just need simple gearbox with one driving ring and two gears with clutch - so you have tree positions - neutral, and two directions. Input axel will be connected to front wheels and output to rear wheels. To avoiding switching between modes you just need short liftarm conected to input axle, which will rotate, when you steer, so it will prevent switching modes, if it wont be vertical.

In demostration video it can be clearely seen that steering wheel is connected to some sort of "clutch gear assambley" situated in the middle of the drivetrain, so I supprt this theory. :classic:

I'm almost certain it will not use gearbox, as i explained in my last post, and painfully found out in my example :)

The driving ring simply have to much empty motion when changing direction of rotation.

But now as i think this is the case for old gearbox parts. Have to check if it is the same with new ones.

Really, the easiest was to solve it is with electronics. 2 servos for each axle and a pole reverser (or go for fully RC and just two independently steerable axles).

In my recent Xerion MOC, I also went with the dual servo + pole reverser solution because space was severely limited. Not sure what steering modes JBTechnic have in his version. I did a little experimentation on a mechanical solution but both size and slack were huge problems.

From the 42054 video, you can't see how much he turns the "HOG" wheel to steer. One possibility to control slack would be to gear down after switching between modes. I'm waiting in excitement to see how they've done it and how well it works. The demonstrator seems to lift the tractor just before switching. Maybe he is cheating a bit to disguise something... :blush:

Or the model wasn't built correctly, which seems to be typical for these Toys show demonstrators. Must. Wait. For. Reviews. In. July. to get full understanding of how this function works. My guess is a simple sliding mechanism as some have already suggested, maybe switching between a one-gear and two-gear linkage to change an axle direction.

I just hope is does have differentielas and 4wd

that would make an awesome set.

will pre order this one and save the bwe or x-mas or the Porsche....

gr collin

I just hope is does have differentielas and 4wd

that would make an awesome set.

will pre order this one and save the bwe or x-mas or the Porsche....

gr collin

It doesn't :sad:

maximum steering angles seems very low judging by video

The steering angle on the real Xerion is also small. That's why Claas payed for a round of 4-wheel steering :wink:

In my recent Xerion MOC, I also went with the dual servo + pole reverser solution because space was severely limited. Not sure what steering modes JBTechnic have in his version. I did a little experimentation on a mechanical solution but both size and slack were huge problems.

From the 42054 video, you can't see how much he turns the "HOG" wheel to steer. One possibility to control slack would be to gear down after switching between modes. I'm waiting in excitement to see how they've done it and how well it works. The demonstrator seems to lift the tractor just before switching. Maybe he is cheating a bit to disguise something... :blush:

I started with a center mechanism but it was not strong enough so I decided to use 2 servos

Lego Xerion

I hope for something like this on the next year. ;)

IMO I somewhere read that produced set takes two years, so they probably want to test this license and after that decide if there will be another set.But yes I want harvester too :-) .

What if the steering is done with 3 gear racks, on in front of the axle, one behind, and one locked in he middle, and the gear selector just jumps between them?

I am 99% percent certain it won't be done using any gears at all to switch steering modes. It will probably be done by moving the pivot point of a lever so that it changes relative to it's connected lever. So that if the pivot is to the left, it moves one way, if the pivot is in the middle it doesn't move and if the pivot is to the right it moves the opposite way. This way there is not as much slack and it can be changed regardless of the current steering position.

Yes, I think you're probably right. There would be too much play in a standard gear selection box. Here's a hypothesis:

Think of the rear steering as being like one stage of the Arocs truck steering i.e. there is a right-angle bracket on the holding beam that turns the sideways movement of the steering arm into front-rear movement of the control arm.

Next replace the L-shaped bracket with a T-shaped bracket, like the 3x5 T-shape, pivoted in the middle with the 5 along the holding beam and the end of the 3 in the steering arm.

Then slide the control arm between the extremities of the 5 along the T-shape:

- At one side it does 4-wheel steering.

- In the centre it does 2-wheel steering.

- At the other side it does crab steering.

I noticed that the selector moves across by 2M between each position; not sure how much that is reduced by lever ratio to the movement over the rear axle.

Mark

Yes, I think you're probably right. There would be too much play in a standard gear selection box. Here's a hypothesis:

Think of the rear steering as being like one stage of the Arocs truck steering i.e. there is a right-angle bracket on the holding beam that turns the sideways movement of the steering arm into front-rear movement of the control arm.

Next replace the L-shaped bracket with a T-shaped bracket, like the 3x5 T-shape, pivoted in the middle with the 5 along the holding beam and the end of the 3 in the steering arm.

Then slide the control arm between the extremities of the 5 along the T-shape:

- At one side it does 4-wheel steering.

- In the centre it does 2-wheel steering.

- At the other side it does crab steering.

I noticed that the selector moves across by 2M between each position; not sure how much that is reduced by lever ratio to the movement over the rear axle.

Mark

Yup, that explains the concept better than I did.

Who wants to create the B-model of the A-model is a Xerion :wink: ..therefore it is good that the B-model is just a change over of the crane.

24589896042_019056296d_n.jpg

I knew I saw the three steering modes working in one model:

Edited by pgplay

Anyone else notice the lever to change steering moves in and out when it's in counter- and crab steer modes?

Yes saw that too starting to think that it will work with gears and levers but the side way movements of the lever is still a mystery to me, but there is some slack/delay between the two axles .

Edited by Siegfried Meyer

Two front linkage model.

The first is not true to the original but remains realistic about the less large horsepower tractors:

29311442054relavageavantpneum.png

The second is when to him Fidela a reality:

97537942054relevageavantraliste.png

If the cylinders do not move to the outside, it is possible to move them indoors.

Yellow liftarms, sonr mini pneumatic cylinders

Edited by Mickael

I'm loving this set, might be my favourite of the 2H sets, those tires are just awesome!

I so can see this set being like the Unimog with people making loads of farm attachments. It's a really good move by Lego I think. Will be interesting to see how easy it is to fully motorise drive and steering.

Two front linkage model.

The first is not true to the original but remains realistic about the less large horsepower tractors:

29311442054relavageavantpneum.png

The second is when to him Fidela a reality:

97537942054relevageavantraliste.png

If the cylinders do not move to the outside, it is possible to move them indoors.

Yellow liftarms, sonr mini pneumatic cylinders

So you are planning pneumatics on this beast, love to see what can be done.