Jim

42055 - Bucket Wheel Excavator

What would be the ultimate type of bricks for this machine to dig in? Will the 1x1 round plate be to small? I think i need to start stocking up to have a mountain to dig when this set is released.

The set seems to use 2x2 domes, and I can't really see much of a problem with that choice.

This is enormous! yeah it uses a gear ring for the turntable and two of the same part for the rotor wheel housing.

I think it should be 100% electronic instead of manual but with a model this big it should be easy to mod.

Id be amazed if the tracks are motorised and how they would even do that. even an XL motor might struggle.

This like the whole line up of sets for tier 2, 2016 is amazing beyond anything. its like they improve quiet a bit every year!

Edited by SNIPE

Just to give a sense of scale. The circular racks appear to have have 35 (or 36) teeth each. That's a total of 4×35=140 (or 144) teeth for the whole circumference. In contrast, the hailfire wheel (for those who have it) has 168 teeth.

Yes, but the hailfire wheel teeth are much larger than, and do not mesh with, standard Technic gears... The tooth spacing on the HF are roughly double the linear distance. I'm using them for a MOC, and I have to use the old Samsonite gears to mesh with them. Better to use stud counts to figure sizes.

Edited by rollermonkey

Id be amazed if the tracks are motorised and how they would even do that. even an XL motor might struggle.

Didn't watch the video did we?

Operates like the Crawler Crane - 42042. Goes both directions but doesn't turn.

I predict that this set will inspire a lot of MODS by people who wouldn't normally attempt a it. I believe that the straight forward construction along with seemingly plenty of avenues to route parts will be less intimidating than say fully automating the 8043. I didn't immediately like this set but I am finding new things I like :)

Yes, but the hailfire wheel teeth are much larger than, and do not mesh with, standard Technic gears... The tooth spacing on the HF are roughly double the linear distance. I'm using them for a MOC, and I have to use the old Samsonite gears to mesh with them. Better to use stud counts to figure sizes.

We have a disconnect here. It seems you're talking about the OUTER teeth of the hailfire wheels (those do not have the standard gear teeth geometry). The inside teeth of those hailfire wheels are of the SAME size as ALL other technic gears and DO mesh with them.

This like the whole line up of sets for tier 2, 2016 is amazing beyond anything. its like they improve quiet a bit every year!

It seems TLG has made a personal commitment to go after my/your and everyone's wallet every year around August.

Edited by DrJB

There was a recent thread about the hailfire wheels, and it seems the Samsonite gears mesh very well with the "teeth" on the outside of the Hailfire wheels.

We have a disconnect here. It seems you're talking about the OUTER teeth of the hailfire wheels (those do not have the standard gear teeth geometry). The inside teeth of those hailfire wheels are of the SAME size as ALL other technic gears and DO mesh with them.

Yes, this is true, but there is a lot more 'meat' on the hailfire wheels than on these new ring gears. You were originally addressing size, by way of gear ratios, and although there may be some comparison, it's a bit misleading, as the new rings are 1 stud thick, and the HFW are 3 studs, the HFW are 4 studs thick from outer tooth to inner tooth, the new rings look closer to 2-3 studs in that dimension.

Don't get me wrong: they are clearly enormous when compared to 99% of Technic gears, but I think that once we have them in hand, they will look surprisingly puny next to hailfire wheels.

There was a recent thread about the hailfire wheels, and it seems the Samsonite gears mesh very well with the "teeth" on the outside of the Hailfire wheels.

Yes, yes they do. I'm putting together a MOC that revolves around that connectivity right now.

Don't get me wrong: they are clearly enormous when compared to 99% of Technic gears, but I think that once we have them in hand, they will look surprisingly puny next to hailfire wheels.

Yes, yes they do. I'm putting together a MOC that revolves ...

Fully agree. I was merely trying to get/give a sense of the size of the BWE wheels, as compared to something many of us have on hand (HFW).

Curious as to your MOC will look like. I have some yellow+red samsonite gears, hopefully I can replicate. :)

Edited by DrJB

Fully agree. I was merely trying to get/give a sense of the BWE wheels, as compared to something many of us have on hand (HFW).

Curious as to your MOC will look like. I have some yellow+red samsonite gears, hopefully I can replicate. :)

Present estimate has me using 5 of the HFW, I have 3 on hand now. It's going to be bigger than I expected. :)

Sadly, these new ring gears wouldn't work, as I needed a gear with a large open center, and as these are 1/4 gears, the center isn't open. I definitely look forward to all the MOCs that will revolve around them...

I just realized: the BWE can't operate its tracks independently, I wonder if it is because the drive cannot go through the exact center?, and thus cannot use previous methods for doing so.

I needed a gear with a large open center, and as these are 1/4 gears, the center isn't open.

What do you mean by that? To me it seems these can be connected in a circle without filling the center.

Here’s a summary of what we know so far:

There are new turntable elements (made up of quarter rings), comes with a recolored (cough *Leibherr* cough) 42035, LA’s to operate arms are manual, PF are rotating superstructure, driving tracks (no steering though), rotating buckets, and moving conveyers, uses an XL motor, largest technic set to date (part wise) and fifth largest lego set, B-model is aggregate sorting machine (actually sorts pieces), switches are to control direction of fuction, instead of just picking function, and price is either 180 or 250 pounds.

Anyone know why it says MK II? Was there a previous BWE made by Lego, because from what I know the MK II on the mobile crane was for the fact that it was the second time Lego created one. Thanks!

I think the confusion is because people think MK is mark # but it's actually an inside joke because the designer is Marcus Kossman, 8265 was MK, 42009 was MK II because it was his second flagship he did, and this is his third, hence MK III.

C model:

Came across these which will make a good MOC using parts from BWE.

A bucket wheel trencher machine - not sure which way it moves when trenching.

Trenchers pretty much always go backwards, away from the trenching equipment. That way, the vehicle is always over solid ground. If it went the other way, the trench could collapse.

I think the confusion is because people think MK is mark # but it's actually an inside joke because the designer is Marcus Kossman, 8265 was MK, 42009 was MK II because it was his second flagship he did, and this is his third, hence MK III.

He have designed a lot more than these 3, eg. 8275, 8053, etc.

Yeah, one problem. He designed 42043, and it has no MK 3 on it. I think he designed other flagships, but I don't remember for sure. Anyway, wasn't 8265 not a flagship?