Jim

42055 - Bucket Wheel Excavator

Maybe someone will get their dream of a bucket chain excavator

If the BWE is bad at picking up bricks, the bucket chain excavator will be the absolute worst. But by god i will moc one some day :laugh:

It would also need some custom made buckets

Edited by Gabi_BC

I am hoping for better sets and less bricks, like the 8043.

For me, Lego went too far with the BWE. It's only a statement, but the functions to bricks ratio is pretty lame. And the functions suffer a lot. Bigger is definitely not better.

Hope they will continue their way with the Claas and Volvo EW160E.

Same, but mostly because my wallet is almost ready write a suicide note :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

If the BWE is bad at picking up bricks, the bucket chain excavator will be the absolute worst. But by god i will moc one some day :laugh:

It would also need some custom made buckets

Or maybe the BCE can just uses the clam shell bucket.

Another review:

According to that review it's almost impossible to push or rotate the BWE manually. However if you disengage the two CV joints then you can push or rotate the BWE very smoothly.

Funny, I don't have any problems. You just have the transmission shift into neutral, the real issue is the gear reduction of the slewing and driving, and popping out the ball joints wouldn't do anything for that.

Also, I've found that the BWE will pick up bricks, but not the small amount included in the set. I had a large tub of black 2L pins, so I used that. As long as you use a bin that is longer than the diameter of the bucket wheel, and can have a pile at least a couple of centimeters deep, it will scoop up stuff. However, I do not recommend using 2L pins for digging. An unfortunate bug is that there are some gaps in the channel the conveyor belt is in, so a part, if that is the digging material, can fall into those gaps in such a way that it can jam the conveyor. I haven't done tests with other parts, but I think it could happen with other, small pieces, like the 1x1 cylinder included int the set. I'll post some fixes in the mod topic.

Speaking of fixes, I've found a feature that, while not a design flaw per se, is still noteworthy and something to be watched out for: the teeth on the gear rack quadrants do not actually line up all the time. It's a bit difficult to describe, picture:

28244464624_8b5c052608_z.jpg42055 gears. by Saberwing007, on Flickr

As can be seen, if the end hole of one rack is connected to the center axle hole of another, the teeth are misaligned. It is possible, if you are not aware of this, to build the bucket wheel this way, and then when you go to put it together, the gears on one side don't fit. The instructions actually tell you to assemble them aligned, but it is difficult to see, and I did it by accident. If you're awkwardly checking your 42055 right now, don't worry, you don't have to remove much. It's an easy fix, and now mine works much better.

I considered trying out this setup on mine. Too bad it can't be done.

I am hoping for better sets and less bricks, like the 8043.

For me, Lego went too far with the BWE. It's only a statement, but the functions to bricks ratio is pretty lame. And the functions suffer a lot. Bigger is definitely not better.

Hope they will continue their way with the Claas and Volvo EW160E.

I also think they went a bit over the top.

The Claas and Volvo are way better.

This bid and bulky BWE can't even scoop bricks.

So for parts it's a great set, but for looks and playability, not so much.

If I will pick up a second hand set in the future, it will be only for the massive amount af parts.

This bid and bulky BWE can't even scoop bricks.

If you higher up in this thread you will find a video proving it does as well as a pretty good explanation of how BWE excavators work in the field. In that instance, I find the BWE pretty realistic!

If you higher up in this thread you will find a video proving it does as well as a pretty good explanation of how BWE excavators work in the field. In that instance, I find the BWE pretty realistic!

Well in the review from Sariel, he shows it's scooping capabilities are very weak.

The B-model would appeal me more.

That is a pretty interesting modification, i would really like to see more about that shaker grille, it seems to work with a lot more efficiency than the original B model.

This "C-model" looks way cooler than the official B-model:

A C model must be a one-set-moc. This is not a one-set-moc...

A C model must be a one-set-moc. This is not a one-set-moc...

It's even not a C-Model, it's just MOD of the 42055 B-Model.

I am not sure about that, at first look, it looks like a B model with some small modifications, but if you see closely it actually has many changed, the shape looks to be very similar, with 2 tracks and 2 conveyor belts, a hopper in the upper part and some rails, but in fact the model is very different, the track are longer, the whole structure is different, the motors, the panels, the axles, the gears, the battery box, everything is different despite the functions are very similar, at the first time i thought it was just a B model with small modifications too, but now i think it is a completely different model.

Edited by ImanolBB

I think it still looks similar enough to be considered a modified B-model.

Redesigned and heavily modified, maybe, but still.

quarry.jpg

It has a few issues which shouldn't be too hard to sort out but a great build and looks like it should. Looking forward to upgrading it to remote control for the tracks, make it easier for loading.

As far as loading a truck, it is not normally done in real life, they don't stop the screen between trucks

Brickset review of the B model: http://brickset.com/article/23024/42055-b-model-mobile-aggregate-grader

According to one comment:

- Even the real screening machines have problem with jamming. Maybe the B model is intentionally designed to have occasional jamming.

- There is a limit in loading rate in the real machine.

- This type of equipment is not designed to screen rocks or pieces that are so closely related in size and shape.

To sum up, "this machine needs some special care and attention, but so does the real thing."

Anybody watching gold mining TV shows knows that, so I find the model realistic too.

Maybe the B model is intentionally designed to have occasional jamming.

:hmpf:

This is why I never read Brickset reviews.

This set is love and hate for me. When I saw the first images I was pretty confident that I will never ever buy this set since it simply looks ugly to me.

But then it's the one with the most pieces. So a lot of spare parts for me :-). Lot of functions, new parts and pricing is ok. So in the end I will just get one. Will have to wait though until discount season is open.

Anybody watching gold mining TV shows knows that, so I find the model realistic too.

+1, i actually made some modifications based in one of those TV shows.

By the way, talking about the Brickset review, i think that it is actually right, if you see the real machines, a little bit of the processed material tends to stuck in some places, and if it accumulates it can jam the whole system, so the model is very similar in that aspect, and those problems can be fixed with some small modifications, so the set is not that bad, in my opinion.