Jim

42055 - Bucket Wheel Excavator

I'm excited too but can happily wait till prices drop to 200 euro's. No need for rushing things. :-) There will be enough for everybody.

This model is just massive.... I can only photograph it full when I zoom out a lot. Without the stickers, the gearbox is a bit confusing...

One review is just out at rebrickable.

Not that many new parts apparently for a 3927 parts set but it has lots of common parts that can be used to (re)build lots of other smaller sets :).

Put to wish list (need to wait as I just spend a fortune for 42056...)

The bucket wheel arm can be motorized? Is there enough place for a new motor?

Edited by Rygar

Because you lock it to the low segment with the tracks. So when the turret turns, the lower conveyor belt throws material at the same location (so the dumper can just stand still)

No proof, this is just speculation.

Seems like I was correct about this one.

One review is just out at rebrickable.

Not that many new parts apparently for a 3927 parts set but it has lots of common parts that can be used to (re)build lots of other smaller sets :).

Put to wish list (need to wait as I just spend a fortune for 42056...)

Nice review, it shows all the functions which we already knew about and the details. What more is there to say? I agree with the reviewer, for a flagship model with 4000 pieces the two manually operated LA's are a little bit cheap. I hope there will be some mods for a fourth lever taking care of that function.

Edited by Bering

I see the point of the manual function: it is the fool proof version that the wheel can not be leveled too deep/high, and can cause part damage.

Can be considered as a design shortcut too, but also as senseful feature, appends on us. :classic:

Manual LA is fine if you plan to use it as a GBC. It allows for more precise control. You adjust during display setup and leave it. Looking forward to hearing from anyone using it as a GBC display at an event or convention and how it performs running over a several days. :classic:

I see the point of the manual function: it is the fool proof version that the wheel can not be leveled too deep/high, and can cause part damage.

Can be considered as a design shortcut too, but also as senseful feature, appends on us. :classic:

Good point. Part damage may happen especially by "digging" too deep and break the LA's, because of the heavy weight of the BWE. Maybe a stop at the LA travel is possible.

Does anyone know if Amazon will be selling them?

Otherwise I think I will pre-order it with playtoday.nl, unless it's a shady site :D

I'll flip a table if they aren't.

C-Vk6E.jpg

These have been squatting in my "save for later" list for about a month.

one does not simply ruin a big LA,

there already is a clutch in it. try to keep turning when it is at its end and you will see nothing happens (except for some grinding noise but that does no damage your LA immediatly)

Amazon always sells lego technic sets, I will buy it (perhaps) on Amazon as my other sets

Good point. Part damage may happen especially by "digging" too deep and break the LA's, because of the heavy weight of the BWE. Maybe a stop at the LA travel is possible.

I was actually surprised how little force there is on the two LA's thanks to good balancing

Good Lord, all those gears.

So, here in the States... I guess it's coming out August 1st? Is that correct? Can't wait to get my hands on this monster.

Did you ever build 42009? :p

One of the mods i have in mind for this is making the counterweight arm fixed and the bucket wheel arm raised/lowered via a wire and pulley mechanism, as it is the case for larger machines of this kind.

Another possible modification is making the discharge conveyor arm longer (possibly made out of 2 segments, one gliding under another) and rested on a tracked transfer hopper.

A third idea is moving cabin to the front of the bucket wheel arm. You would need to come up with a way of keeping it upright at all times, but it is doable.

So many possibilities, one crucial step needs to be taken care of first - getting one of these monsters.

After reading Rebrickable's review and Sariel's video, it seems that the truly new parts are those 14 quadrant gear racks (not sure what is the official name).

The rest of the parts (if you don't care about colors) can be found by rebricking parts from previous sets (if you own lots of other sets so that you have >= 53 5x7 frames of course, which I don't).

As I don't think putting a BWE as display on my guest room will be a good attraction point (compared to Porsche, which does attract attention from my kids and guests),

think I will eventually get this set, build A model once, play with it for a while, build B model once, play with it for a while, then probably destroy it for 3900+ parts so that I can build many other past/future smaller sets :)