Jim

42055 - Bucket Wheel Excavator

to my knowledge the exact number of tread links has not been posted or heard of, but I'd assume 200~250 links is about right, 50 for each driving side, maybe 50~75 for the main conveyor belt, and another 35~50 for the off loading conveyor.

I think that's a sound estimate. The 42042 has 48 links per track with 27 studs between axle, if I'm not mistaken. The BWE looks more like 29 studs.

Addendum - has anyone tried to work out how many 5x7 frames it has? I get a splitting headache from staring at the screen for more than a few minutes but there must be at least 30 of them.

Edited by suffocation

If I remember correctly and it was 5x7 frames I counted, I think I could spot at least 12 from the images some time back. I haven't made any attempt of further spotting more of them or guessing the total number.

The undercarriage alone already has 12 frames. The upper belt has 26 frames. The lower body of the turret has 10 frames. So at least 48 frames already.

It's just lighting, it's right under a yellow part after all. A better question is why are two being used?

@nguyengiangoc: never, as far as I know. But it does seem to be in a different colour from the one next to it.

@Saberwing40k: I reckon they used two because one wasn't enough to bear the torque coming from the motor. I had to do the same on my tow truck to get the RC steering to work.

Edited by suffocation

You would expect TWO 8T gears to mesh with two white clucth gear but If you zoom in there seems to be an odd (new) RED part meshing with them.

It appears to have only one 8T gear ( similar to the 3L worm gear.)

Also the axle its on sticks out so might be a sliding axle with red gear alternatively meshing with either clutch gear - possible due to interlocking of the various motions.

All will be revealed when the set is released.

It looks to me like the XL motor is connected to the far left axle, which has two 8 tooth gears on it. This meshes with the two 24 tooth clutch gears on the middle axle, which also has a black 12 tooth gear, which meshes with a tan 20 tooth gear on the third axle, which also has two red bushes. This third axle looks like it goes into the gear box, with a total gear reduction of 1:3*3:5=1:5, I think.

@jim. It appears that you are getting the CLAAS to review. Are you also getting a BWE?

I am really looking forward to a BWE review and I hope you and Sariel will be reviewing it.

Andy D

Same, I'm going to buy it anyway, but I'd love to see a good, proper review a la Jim and Sariel :thumbup:

@jim. It appears that you are getting the CLAAS to review. Are you also getting a BWE?

I am really looking forward to a BWE review and I hope you and Sariel will be reviewing it.

Andy D

We are getting the BWE and we will be reviewing it. This time you will get a surprise reviewer :laugh:

You can still pose your questions here.

Sariel will be reviewing all the 2H sets too.

We are getting the BWE and we will be reviewing it. This time you will get a surprise reviewer :laugh:

I know who it is..... :tongue:

When will the reviews be out, never been so excited for a Lego Technic set!

When a BWE talks about a BWE in a BWE thread, we have BWE-ception!

Why won't you review the BWE Jim? I really love your high-res photos with grey backgrounds.

Because I made a promise to someone and I will keep that promise. Besides that, he is very skilled at making great pictures nowadays :sweet:

(and his technical knowlegde is profound, so you probably will get a pretty in-depth review)

When a BWE talks about a BWE in a BWE thread, we have BWE-ception!

:laugh:

Much like the Liebherr-ception:

crane-mobile-kran-mobile-liebherr-customer-days-kranception.jpg

Sorry for this off-topic pic.

Huh? He said "we will be getting the BWE and we will be reviewing it"

Did I misunderstand it?

You missed the part about the surprise reviewer. So it will not be Jim.

Bingo!

Jim has just a little identity crisis. :grin:

But, I'm sure there will be 0 problems with the review :classic:

...he is very skilled at making great pictures nowadays :sweet:

(and his technical knowlegde is profound, so you probably will get a pretty in-depth review)

- Is it a bird?

- Is it a plane?

- No, it's... no spoilers here!

If my guess is right I believe we have some reading to look forward to!

- Is it a bird?

- Is it a plane?

- No, it's... no spoilers here!

If my guess is right I believe we have some reading to look forward to!

The Force is strong with this one.