Jim

42055 - Bucket Wheel Excavator

If so, do you have any suggestion for how the B model can perform the brick sorting function? I can't figure it out...

Trying to remember been a few years.

My only guess is using axle rods to keep the larger pieces out and having smaller ones fall through, but you'd have to have them turning or moving some how constantly to make sure there is product flow.

The large material would get pushed through to a crusher and spit out the left side, smaller material would fall through and go out the right side. This way you get a little extra through put on the machine within the same footprint.

Could easily see a MOC with a bin on one side that conveys up and dumps into another bin to be crushed and comes out on another conveyor to be transported off to processing. Another unit that is also out there in the field.

Edited by deathman20

If so, do you have any suggestion for how the B model can perform the brick sorting function? I can't figure it out...

Something like this:

800px-Sieve.jpg

Edited by CopMike
Picture to big - resized.

the point is, how do you make such thing reliable. You don't want too much pieces to not fall through.

And what a master builder is Markus Kossmann. The superbad not-sense-making far-from-ultimate good-looking porsche, took 3 years to make and it does not have a B-model, but markus makes a MB arocs and a BWE both with an B-model in 3 years(i think so because of the 42009 in 2013)

So marcus makes 4 great models, vs Uwe making 1 poor model. what a shame

If the pieces are different sized, the easy way is to use a grate. Years ago I made a robot for a contest that involves picking as many 2x2 bricks out of a pool of ping pong balls as possible in the alloted time. I put a grate in front of a large scoop. As the NXT robot drove itself around, the grate pushed the balls away and the bricks passed through the grate opening and collected. I believe I won a LEGO Technic set out of it. :classic:

the point is, how do you make such thing reliable. You don't want too much pieces to not fall through.

And what a master builder is Markus Kossmann. The superbad not-sense-making far-from-ultimate good-looking porsche, took 3 years to make and it does not have a B-model, but markus makes a MB arocs and a BWE both with an B-model in 3 years(i think so because of the 42009 in 2013)

I believe the B model if often made by a different designer than the A model. :wink:

I don't think this is the place to be comparing one designers models to another, as we have no idea as to what constraints they are working under, or what assistance they received from other designers/TLG etc.

Actually Uwe designed the 24 Hour Race Car and the Volvo Loader. Your saying is mean.

There are different kind of so called screeing machines, I think the B-model will be some kind of horizontal vibration screen type.

I couldn't find a proper video, but You can get the basic idea from here:

I am really looking forward this, looks like a piece of engineering! :thumbup:

Based on the prelim and the final pictures, the B-model is indeed pretty much redesigned.

I believe the B model if often made by a different designer than the A model. :wink:

Actually Uwe designed the 24 Hour Race Car and the Volvo Loader. Your saying is mean.

Uwe also designed the legendary 8258 crane truck.

I don't think this is the place to be comparing one designers models to another, as we have no idea as to what constraints they are working under, or what assistance they received from other designers/TLG etc.

well, maybe i shouldn have said that i realise after reading your comments. 8258, 42039 and 42030 are all great sets, and it shows what he is able to do. And lucy, you are completely right about the situation they were in. The BWE is obviously not licensed and there were less conditions. And i didn't know that the B-model has another designer than the

A-model.

There are different kind of so called screeing machines, I think the B-model will be some kind of horizontal vibration screen type.

I couldn't find a proper video, but You can get the basic idea from here:

Based on the prelim and the final pictures, the B-model is indeed pretty much redesigned.

Actually that is very accurate showing of how it separates materials. You really won't find a live video showing it because its too hard to get a camera in the enclosure since its all sealed.

I am doubtful about the vibration screen. It seems a bit complicated for Lego. I really think we'll have a simple mesh that will stop the larger pieces and let the smaller ones through.

Edit: I think I hope for :wink:

Completely horizontal and static it just can not be, as than the bricks just would stuck.

Edit: I think I hope for :wink:

Completely horizontal and static it just can not be, as than the bricks just would stuck.

Agreed but if you get the mesh on an angle, this would be limited... another 2 months and we will know !

According to Sariel, the mine truck in this set is designed from scratch, not a copy of the yellow 42035. And it seems the white truck contains something the yellow one doesn't.

well i guess i should get 42009 put back together to help with the assembly of this monster, doesn't look like it'll be to pleasant to try and hold the superstructure and mount it at the same time.

well i guess i should get 42009 put back together to help with the assembly of this monster, doesn't look like it'll be to pleasant to try and hold the superstructure and mount it at the same time.

The 42009 doesn't have much lifting capacity, so I doubt it can help. I have one, and once tried to get it lift a keychain consisting of just two small keys. The winch struggled a lot.

The 42009 doesn't have much lifting capacity, so I doubt it can help. I have one, and once tried to get it lift a keychain consisting of just two small keys. The winch struggled a lot.

yeah the winch sucks, if you replace the clutch gear with a regular one its a little better, but if you use the LAs for lifting it has some strength. Edited by andrewganschow

42009 might be kind of big compared to the scale of the BWE. 8228 Crawler Crane might be a more appropriately sized crane to match BWE for an assembling scene.

bucket_wheel_zps1modusew.jpg

looking at that picture, your right it would be to big, if only 8288 was easy to get a copy of to build, ive eyed it for a while, but its to exspensive second hand.

And yet your avatar is an image of the Porsche. Where's the Kossman love? Put a BWE in there :)

looking at that picture, your right it would be to big, if only 8288 was easy to get a copy of to build, ive eyed it for a while, but its to exspensive second hand.

Why 8288 when you can have 42042

^ I believe that they just named it - the scale. 8288 looks very 'realistic' since it's in small scale, yet has some great height to it. 42042 is scaled bigger (judging from the superstructure and cabin) and it would probably look inappropriately bulky next to the BWE.

Background info for those who don't know: The BWE has 3 motorized function:

lego-technic-bucket-wheel-excavator-42055-power-functions-international-toy-fair-2016-zusammengebaut-andres-lehmann.jpg

- The upper switch: turn the superstructure, and only works when the middle switch goes up.

- The lower switch: drive the BWE, and only works when middle switch goes down.

- The middle switch: when it goes up, it rotates the bucket wheel + drives the conveyor belts + enables turning the superstructure + disables driving ; when it goes down, it disables turning the superstructure + enables driving.

I have been wondering why Markus made the turning and driving depends on the bucket wheel switch, and I've just had an idea: maybe to prevent 3 functions engaged at the same time.