Jim

42055 - Bucket Wheel Excavator

New discovery

The lower conveyor belt use a 12-gear disk to turn the turntable, instead of a 12-gear black gear.

Under the conveyor belt are two 6-hole disks. They fit well with the slits on the curved gear racks.

I don't understand..

New discovery

The lower conveyor belt use a 12-gear disk to turn the turntable, instead of a 12-gear black gear.

Under the conveyor belt are two 6-hole disks. They fit well with the slits on the curved gear racks.

The belt is motorised by a large turntable, the new turntable - the yellow one is more like a track and the wedge wheel rides on it for stability

From what I see

The belt is motorised by a large turntable, the new turntable - the yellow one is more like a track and the wedge wheel rides on it for stability

From what I see

Yeah that's what I want to say.

I think they brought this set because the 42030 did very well, regardless of its huge pricetag. I'm not quite sure how i feel about the look of this thing, but nearly 4000 parts is going to be fun!

it's a pity though that the mining truck is included.

why would they do that? did they really want to put as many parts as possible in one set?

Yep they moves most jerky when the conveyor belts and the turret rotate at the same time. The torque is split.

Talking about which I don't understand why Markus design the way that the turret only rotates when the belts are rotating. I mean why not make the two functions separate...

well, i'm not entirely sure but i believe that's how they normally work with these machines. They put on the wheel, and than slowly rotate it. then they drive several meters and do it again and again untill everything is dugged away

Correct, th two motions have to be linked, either mechanically or via electronics/hydraulics. In the lego rendition they sure opted for the mechanical way. The only way for that machine to cut continuously is for both the bucket wheel and tracks to be running at the same time.

Correct, th two motions have to be linked, either mechanically or via electronics/hydraulics. In the lego rendition they sure opted for the mechanical way. The only way for that machine to cut continuously is for both the bucket wheel and tracks to be running at the same time.

It kind of depends on the mine, if they are doing long straight sections, then yes the tracks would be moving along with the head, but in corners/curves it wouldn't, it would be moving along with slew. There would also be times, that it would be stationary, and using the head while lifting/lowering the the arm. But in pretty much all cases, something would be moving as well as the bucket.

I think it is very likely that: There is no axle running under the upper belt.

- First, you guys can look at this, full screen, resolution 1080px: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7oioxojya4ndgzc/Screenshot%202016-03-13%2014.08.11.png?dl=0 . The yellow axle goes through a black bracket (http://brickset.com/parts/design-87408) that leads to the upper belt, then another bracket that goes down to the lower belt. This means the upper belt only gets one transmission input.

- Second, look at this, also full screen, resolution 1080px: https://www.dropbox.....39.37.png?dl=0 . In the upper left corner there is this gear: http://brickset.com/parts/design-87407 . It is used to support the upper belt. And through the liftarm holes next to it I don't see anything like an axle or supporting an axle.

So I think the motion of the bucket wheel is transmitted through the belt itself, not an axle running below it.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

If your correct, and I think you are, it'll be interesting to see how much strain the belt can take of running the bucket and it's self, I plan on some hard core testing of this feature.

Maybe they are red, because the have a different fitting. And if not, that would be something anyone here could easily change

Maybe they are red, because the have a different fitting. And if not, that would be something anyone here could easily change

Modify a children's construction toy? Are you sure you can do that?

Modify a children's construction toy? Are you sure you can do that?

I don't know...i may have to ask my kids for help!

I don't mind the color vomit with red and yellow axles.

One of the things that makes me excited is the 13 dark blue 3x11 panels on the sides of the conveyor belts, and I can count at least 12 of the 5x7 square frames.

Dang, what a parts pack this set is!

13 dark blue + at least 1 DBG 3x11 panel

12+ square frames

4 LBG 5x11 panels

8 buckets

2 yellow + 2 white of the new tipper bed panels

A load of track links

14 of the new curved yellow quarter circle, whatever it was called, gear rack?

And then comes who knows how many pins, beams, axles and what not.

Man, just the complete pack of parts itself is almost a good enough reason to buy this set.

Hmmm, from the sounds of it, I'll have to buy 2 sets, one to build, and one to add to my collection, but on second thought that would require a ton of sorting, and I'm very limited on space right now.

I'm buying two so I can build the a and b models at once and use them together (wallet starts screaming).

Woah. Didn't realize this set had its own topic.

Anywho, I'll be limiting my spending this year to justify buying this. BWEs are my favorite piece of heavy machinery, so having a properly large Lego one is amazing. And everything I've seen of the model makes me excited. I love it.

Only problem... Where will I put it?

Woah. Didn't realize this set had its own topic.

Anywho, I'll be limiting my spending this year to justify buying this. BWEs are my favorite piece of heavy machinery, so having a properly large Lego one is amazing. And everything I've seen of the model makes me excited. I love it.

Only problem... Where will I put it?

I'd say dig a spot with it for it to go.

I don't mind the color vomit with red and yellow axles.

One of the things that makes me excited is the 13 dark blue 3x11 panels on the sides of the conveyor belts, and I can count at least 12 of the 5x7 square frames.

Dang, what a parts pack this set is!

13 dark blue + at least 1 DBG 3x11 panel

12+ square frames

4 LBG 5x11 panels

8 buckets

2 yellow + 2 white of the new tipper bed panels

A load of track links

14 of the new curved yellow quarter circle, whatever it was called, gear rack?

And then comes who knows how many pins, beams, axles and what not.

Man, just the complete pack of parts itself is almost a good enough reason to buy this set.

My wish was granted ... a flagship with NO tires, unless you count the small truck!