Jim

42055 - Bucket Wheel Excavator

I will use the Arocs with the Bucket Wheel Excavator - the mining truck will be full in no time. Does anyone know if the Arocs will even fit below the 2nd conveyer belt?

Edited by Emmi

Dude, mind the scale. Compare the seats of the two trucks and think again :wink:.

I am confident that the tipper bed of the Arocs fits below the 2nd conveyer belt.

I've just built the 42042 B model, and I realize that this BWE is at most as high as it. The turret of the Mobile Tower Crane is already 70 studs tall, while its base is 9 studs tall. As for the BWE, its base is about 10 studs tall and the turret 40 studs tall.

If you guys can store the Mobile Tower Crane then you'll have no problem storing this monstrosity.

If you guys can store the Mobile Tower Crane then you'll have no problem storing this monstrosity.

I had to re-organise all my study shelves to display my cranes.

BWE will take up a lot of space.

I will have to find a new home for these.

24246428743_28099e9c9a.jpgIMG_3112 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

24245131774_065a0d55d3.jpgIMG_3113 by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Edited by Doug72

The real question is how will this monstrosity look on the shelf next to my other flagship sets? I have 8258 8110 42009 and a few others. Will this completely dwarf the others or will it feel at home?

The real question is how will this monstrosity look on the shelf next to my other flagship sets? I have 8258 8110 42009 and a few others. Will this completely dwarf the others or will it feel at home?

42009 can match BWE's height with crane fully erected. As for 8110 and 8258, prepare to see them dwarfed :grin:

I am confident that the tipper bed of the Arocs fits below the 2nd conveyer belt.

No way, belt is 20 studs high.Arocs tipper bed is around 25 studs high.

...so much time left until august arrives...

true. almost half a year

I think a tunnel boring machine would be a great C model based around those circular gears.

That's exactly what came to mind when I saw this set ... a TBM!!

That's exactly what came to mind when I saw this set ... a TBM!!

That means you will have to build a tunnel as well in order for it to work !

If you have the Cargo Plane and have managed to find a place for it, then BWE will pose little problem.

BWE would look kind of stupid hanging from the ceiling.

The Cargo Plane, Fire Plane, and Rescue Helicopter all hang from the ceiling in "flight" for me...

Just to give a sense of scale. The circular racks appear to have have 35 (or 36) teeth each. That's a total of 4×35=140 (or 144) teeth for the whole circumference. In contrast, the hailfire wheel (for those who have it) has 168 teeth.

Edited by DrJB

BWE would look kind of stupid hanging from the ceiling.

The Cargo Plane, Fire Plane, and Rescue Helicopter all hang from the ceiling in "flight" for me...

How do you hang the cargo plane btw? Strings under the fuselage and under the wings?

At least if you hang the BWE, the base won't be under pressure from the turret, and the bucket wheel arm won't bend because of gravity :laugh:

Edited by nguyengiangoc

How do you hang the cargo plane btw? Strings under the fuselage and under the wings?

At least if you hang the BWE, the base won't be under pressure from the turret, and the bucket wheel arm won't bend because of gravity :laugh:

Fishing line to hooks in ceiling. One fishing line goes from two hooks in the ceiling, it goes through the Black beam which is connected to the battery box switch. the second line goes to two hooks as well, and it goes through the 2 blue beams that make up the dorsal fin just prior to the vertical stab. Even with the 1st line going through the switch beam, if i had batteries in the box, I can still turn the the power on and off.

Edited by P3_Super_Bee

The buckets are not so much new as they are merely an updated version of the existing 3-tooth bucket. The shape is slightly different but the general size is the same; the width is the same (4 studs). The biggest difference is the mounting arrangement, which has been designed for the new technic system, so there is just one central lug that runs along the back of the bucket.

TLG will eventually come out with a bucket that is suitable for larger excavator projects!

Quick question—had we seen the alt build for this set yet? I hadn't noticed any pics of it, despite paying pretty close attention to this topic. If anyone's interested, you can get a pretty good look at the back of the box (featuring the alt build) in this video, at about 4:50.

At first sight I thought "No way I'm going to buy this expensive, heavy, time-consuming, place-consuming set like this!" But for some unknown reasons it started to grow on me, and now I thought "If I have enough money I may buy this; it increases the diversity of my collection and is indeed a nice addition". I'm also a sucker for big sets :wub:

Quick question—had we seen the alt build for this set yet? I hadn't noticed any pics of it, despite paying pretty close attention to this topic. If anyone's interested, you can get a pretty good look at the back of the box (featuring the alt build) in this video, at about 4:50.

See page 8 post # 192 for a larger image.

Edited by Doug72

What would be the ultimate type of bricks for this machine to dig in? Will the 1x1 round plate be to small? I think i need to start stocking up to have a mountain to dig when this set is released.

Edited by Akhkharu

What would be the ultimate type of bricks for this machine to dig in? Will the 1x1 round plate be to small? I think i need to start stocking up to have a mountain to dig when this set is released.

You can always get a 20 kg bag of rice ... but then, given that the conveyors are made with track elements, small parts would fall through. That's the first mod one should do: Replace the track-based conveyors with a long piece of flat rubber.

Edited by DrJB

Technic 16 mm balls or Friends 14 mm balls would probably the least likely to fall through the gaps or get jammed between the tracks and sprockets.