Jim

42055 - Bucket Wheel Excavator

I wil have a real problem to fit this inside my house. I already have to fit the UCS Death Star so...

I think this is a great opportunity to buy it for pieces too.

How much is long B model? I can't read it, small details on image are not clear :(

Box image is very fuzzy but think it says 34 inches or 86 Cm with conveyers extended.

That would require stopping the bucket wheel and then the belts each time the dump truck is full while another truck gets into loading position. This works well with shovels since they work in a cycle, scoop, rotate, dump, repeat. In some open pit mines (especially in the former soviet union) they use trains instead of the fixed conveyor system. This would be an interesting idea for a technic/train lego mix.

Speaking of technic and train mix. Desert752 built this for the TRIPLE contest entry 3 years ago.

DSC_7360r.jpg

I think there is a sand quarry in Russia with a giant chain bucket scooper and loading into train cars.

Speaking of technic and train mix. Desert752 built this for the TRIPLE contest entry 3 years ago.

DSC_7360r.jpg

I think there is a sand quarry in Russia with a giant chain bucket scooper and loading into train cars.

OT -- I can't find Jar Jar ;) ;)

Andy D

This set reminds me of a quote from the Godfather III movie: Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

Recent sets did not offer much 'appeal' to me as they all more or else were variations on the same theme, and because of this, I've been slowly drifting away from Lego (Thanks to Arduino and Raspberry Pi) ... Now, with this set, I'm definitely back!

I must agree with some prior posters though. The set seems a bit 'unfinished'. From those I've seen in real life, such machine is operated by an entire control center (with many operators). This one looks like it has a cab for a single operator.

Edited by DrJB

This set reminds me of a quote from the Godfather III movie: Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

Recent sets did not offer much 'appeal' to me as they all more or else were variations on the same theme, and because of this, I've been slowly drifting away from Lego (Thanks to Arduino and Raspberry Pi) ... Now, with this set, I'm definitely back!

I must agree with some prior posters though. The set seems a bit 'unfinished'. From those I've seen in real life, such machine is operated by an entire control center (with many operators). This one looks like it has a cab for a single operator.

From the scale offered by the mining truck, the BWE does look like it actually features a multilevel cab.

The actual digging can be supervised by one operator from a cab overlooking the bucket wheel. On some BWEs there are 2 cabs, one on each side of the bucket wheel.

poedelwitz-germany-11th-june-2015-excavator-operator-joerg-krummsdorf-eywkkw.jpg

One aditional cab can be present and responsible for operating the discharge conveyor belt. While moving to another position the whole operation is supervised by crews on the ground using 2-way radio communication.

One funny thing I noticed... This is one of ULTRA-RARE technic sets that actually uses transparent windshield in the cabin :tongue:

Another observation: I initially thought the bucket wheel and the turntable were made of different parts, a full circle for the bucket wheel, and a fraction for the turn-table. Closer examination of the picture on the first post reveals that the bucket wheel is made of 8 segments and each circle is made up of 4 gear parts. So, the set will comprise at least 12-14 circular/arc/geared parts. I like this better as the parts appear more 'versatile' than the recent RED brackets on the ACROS.

Edited by DrJB

By my count there are at least 14 of the quarter arc gear racks, 8 on the wheel, 4 on the base turntable and 2 for the discharge belt.

It's hard to tell on my phone, but the discharge conveyer looks like it has a wheel of some sort guided by the curved rack.

It's the dbg piece at the back of the lower part of the conveyer in the following pic.

12622541_987679634623073_783601090847660

Edited by deehtha

It's the dbg piece at the back of the lower part of the conveyer in the following pic.

https://scontent-ord...fg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

Zoomed in on the Lego video and the wheel supporting the discharge conveyor is made up of two 21mm wedge pulleys with a spacer in between to run along the rim of the new gear racks.

8 new gear racks for the bucket wheel / 4 for turret turntable / 2 for discharge conveyor. = 14 pce.

Edited by Doug72

I don't understand from images if it has big Sprocket http://brickset.com/...582792 or small sprocket http://brickset.com/...ng-part-4662228

Can someone who has seen it up close answer?

The spockets support the conveyor belt at each end.

The part referred to supports the complete discharge conveyor unit allowing it to slew along the two gear rings.

As indicated by the red arrow.

24142191884_3559daa616.jpgslewingwheel by Doug Ridgway, on Flickr

Edited by Doug72

I'd like to build a thrust ball bearing using the new parts by sandwiching some steel balls in between.

The groove looks too deep and narrow for a steel ball small enough to fit for a two stud high bearing. Do you think 9mm or perharps 10mm steel balls (to achieve 3 stud heigh) could roll over the groove without getting loose?

One funny thing I noticed... This is one of ULTRA-RARE technic sets that actually uses transparent windshield in the cabin :tongue:

Don't forget the 42033 Record Breaker - that's quite a recent example.

Do you think the buckets will be able to pick up the simulated dirt parts or just push them around the floor? I am afraid that you will have to place them in the buckets to get it to work or buy a lot more.

Steve

Edited by Choops

Do you think the buckets will be able to pick up the simulated dirt parts or just push them around the floor? I am afraid that you will have to place them in the buckets to get it to work or buy a lot more.

Steve

It will probably work as the real one does. IMO you will need a serious amount of bricks or something that works as a wall to block them.

I was initially put off by the single motor and what seems will be manual LA's on a set that might cost north of $250. But then I remembered this is almost 4000 pieces. Given what we paid for the Volvo loader with a lot less parts, this is a probably going to end up being a good deal.

I'd like to build a thrust ball bearing using the new parts by sandwiching some steel balls in between.

The groove looks too deep and narrow for a steel ball small enough to fit for a two stud high bearing. Do you think 9mm or perharps 10mm steel balls (to achieve 3 stud heigh) could roll over the groove without getting loose?

I'm not sure if that's a good idea - stainless steel ball bearings are much harder than the plastic. You risk damaging the bricks very easily.

I might sound stupid here but, how do things get from the wheel to the conveyor?

As you can see in various pictures, the wheel is hollow and there is a sort of grey funnel (or chute) through the upper central part.

As the bucket reaches the top, portion of the wheel, the material falls from the bucket to the funnel, than tumbles down to the conveyor.

Edited by Rikus

I look very much forward to what folks here can do with that set. It really is epic in many ways. I love the idea of it and one day I might make something myself. The buckets and turntable rings are a must for me for sure (and expect yellow womit as usual, sigh)

So, the version with 28 XL motors, 18 RC IR units and a coffee maker in the cabin, is what I'm waiting for Jurgen to make!

(Note to self : must buy more XL motors for my BL store)

An ultimate Version like this?

:wink:

Greetings

Alex

^^^ That's an amazing model, sadly i haven't found anything else related to it, other than that video. If anyone knows anything else, do share :classic:

However, i was thinking of a smaller BWE model:

Excavator-ERC-1400.jpg

It's the first bwe i ever saw "live" and also the most common model used in my country so i'd probably be able to study it in it's "natural" environment. Also it should be a little lighter on the part count compared to something like the Bagger288. Anyway, "smaller than..." is not the defining term for it when you see it in 1:1 scale.

I was also pondering another idea:

takraf_ers_710_by_lost2beforgotten.jpg

Edited by Gabi_BC