Jim

42055 - Bucket Wheel Excavator

MK = Markus Kossman, the designer

42009 was MK II

that what I was thinking a part to my self -thanks

From those stickers, it looks like center switch is only to select slewing or driving and then those two other sticks on sides change direction of these functions.

Where's the switch for digging? Or could it be that digger and conveyors are always active when center stick is on slewing mode?

Upper switch rotates the superstructure.

Center switch control bucket wheel rotation and two conveyor belts. This switch can only be turned one direction because it doesn't make sense for the bucket wheel and the conveyor belts running backwards.

Lower switch move the two tracks which are linked by the same axle. In other words the BWE can not steer.

I wouldn't get one personally, I don't think these machines look that interesting in real life. What makes them impressive is their immense scale compared to their suroundings which is lost somewhat even though this is a monstrously large set.

I still think it's an incredible and impressive set, I bet it's rewarding to build and it's scale and part count is amazing. I would rather take the volvo or claas with that part count any day though, I just them much more interesting and better to look at. I feel disappointed that the set with huge size and part count wasn't used on one of the other two, especially the Volvo.

I know many will be delighted with it though and that's great.

These are all amazing sets really, the baby of the group still has pneumatics and over 1000 pieces! We've been spoiled.

Edited by nowinaminute

Center switch control bucket wheel rotation and two conveyor belts. This switch can only be turned one direction because it doesn't make sense for the bucket wheel and the conveyor belts running backwards.

you can clearly see center switch turned to other direction to allow driving. This also makes sense when you look at stickers and how from center stick there's a connecting line to other two switches.

Funny: the long 10 or 12L axle in one of the other photos was red, on the pic of the switches it is black (thank god!)

And also strange: if this set contains two colors of track pieces (black and dark grey), would it have been that much trouble to also include normal grey axles besides the yellow ones used for the railings.

PF seems the type we know, considering the connectors on the battery box are not the WeDo 2.0 type.

And I am surprised two LA's can lift such a heavy arm...

Edited by merman

What strikes me as really odd is, why didn't they use studded bricks for rigidity on this? It served them fine in 2005 (8421) and all the bricks are still available. It would probably also make the model better looking.

lego-technic-bucket-wheel-excavator-side-42055-international-toy-fair-2016-zusammengebaut-andres-lehmann.jpg

Not sure if because of shooting angle or because of the weight, but the base is bending significantly.

Seems more like barrel distortion of lens to me.

And I am surprised two LA's can lift such a heavy arm...

Looks like the weight is somewhat balanced across that verticle column so the load on the actuators probably isn't as high as it seems.

I'm still on the fence about this set. On one hand it is an new machine for TLG, it's huge and it has nice new parts. But on the other hand it's very bulky and the proportions haven't convinced me yet, it should be a bit lower or longer.

I'm really curious what other uses TLG and AFOLs will find for the circular gear racks. Has it been said before that the new part is actually just a quarter of a circle? This means that four are needed for a complete circle and that the BWE has at least 14 of them (8 in the bucket wheel, 4 for the turning table of the upper structure , 2 for the pivot of the rear conveyor).

BTW, I noticed that the mining truck is not completely identical to the yellow 42035 version. look in the left of this image:

lego-technic-volvo-ew-42053-international-toy-fair-2016-zusammengebaut-andres-lehmann-945x630.jpg

The lights and the air filters are modeled more accurately and the ladder is now brick built.

Edited by Cumulonimbus

you can clearly see center switch turned to other direction to allow driving. This also makes sense when you look at stickers and how from center stick there's a connecting line to other two switches.

I see what you mean. So the accurate description should be:

lego-technic-bucket-wheel-excavator-42055-power-functions-international-toy-fair-2016-zusammengebaut-andres-lehmann.jpg

Center switch:

- Going up: Move bucket wheel and two conveyor belts, enable upper switch, disable lower switch.

- Going down: Do nothing, enable lower switch, disable upper switch.

Upper switch rotates the superstructure.

Lower switch move the two tracks which are linked by the same axle. In other words the BWE can not steer.

The question now is that why Markus made the rotation of superstructure dependent on (happens only) when the bucket wheel is rotating?

Edited by nguyengiangoc

I'd have to get the volvo for those pneumatics. I've watched the video for this excavator and I see potential, it's full of parts with lots of tracks and panels. That one model would set someone up for years and if the price is around £180 it's a bargain. But I need those pneumatics on the volvo.

H

I wonder if those new rack arches could be used with the normal racks to make a Technic/PF based monorail?

Thats something i tried to do using the those old flex axles they used in the star wars technics sets, amongst others. failed. The radius of these might be too tight however?

The question now is that why Markus made the rotation of superstructure dependent on (happens only) when the bucket wheel is rotating?

I think that is the way how you supposed to play with it. Bucket wheel is spinning, and slowly the structure rotates, always digging at different locations. I think that the lever on the lower area which locks the conveyor belt locks it to the tracks, and not the upper tower. So if there is a truck waiting for the material, it can just stay stationary, while the turret slowly rotates and digs. Or at least that is how it would be logical. If no, that will be a good modding possibility.

I suppose that this is a biggest TECHNIC set ever build. Like I see it will need a lot of redesign of function like lights, LA, ...

Edited by Strojnik80

Found this YouTube video of all the Lego Technic at the London Toy fair - has some good close up views of BWE plus the other new sets.

You know, this may be one of those times when the B-model is the model to beat, but someone still has to turn the box around 180°.

I need 2 of these! The colors don't really bother me.

You are awaited at Valhalla.

This set is very rich functionally and very useful for new ones like me. I think every new Technic AFOL who is hesitant to start with his joy would be convinced by seeing this mechanical monster. From my short experience, its much easier to produce good looks than great functions.