Jim

42055 - Bucket Wheel Excavator

Also anyone else noticing a red 10 or 12 M axle?

Anyone noticed the yellow 5L and 9L axles?

It just seems a continuation of doing some odd lengths in yellow and some even lengths in red. Still no idea why they do this, but here in this model the yellow axles work nicely as the fences of the walkways.

Looks like the ring gear pieces are reversed alternately to make the ring, with 35 teeth each, making 140 teeth for the whole ring.

This fits with the cogs used to drive it - 12-tooth cogs at either side (6M each between the ring gear and the centre) and 8x2M distances between them at 16 teeth per 2M.

Given that the new turntable has 60 teeth (and there is one at the base for turning the output conveyor), an epicyclic gear of 60+20+60 could be made. This is quite a low ratio compared to 56+56+56 that fitted in a 168-tooth Hailfire Droid wheel.

Time to think of MOCs that could use a quadrant gear!

I also notice the doubled-up white torque gears near the motor. If one of these trips on high torque then the other will also trip straight away as one cannot handle the full torque of two (5-10Ncm).

The video on Brickset didn't show whether the vertical shafts rotated whenthe tracks were moving. Since there are 3 I suppose it's one for the turntable and 2 for the tracks, with a scheme similar to previous excavators to get the track drives through the centre of the turntable.

I applaud the larger Technic sets; it's something I've been lobbying for for a while. I'm likely to buy one set but I wish the many 3x11 panels alongside the conveyors were not dark blue as it's not a colour I find useful. White, Red, Black or Grey and I could use the panels from multiple sets. I suppose with that quantity there is a case for them making the majority of a model on their own but they don't fit the older space theme colour schemes. I might keep those for Technic and use the other colours more for Technic-built theme models, as I have done with the white panels from several 42025 Cargo Planes.

Mark

Impressive size considering it's the first of its kind in Technic. I have to agree that there's a bit too many colors, they could have rather gone with primarily e.g. light bluish grey and dark blue and made a more appealing color scheme, but nonetheless quite interesting set IMO.

I'm definitely tempted, but it'll probably get too expensive for me, and I ain't got enough space for it next to my other models.

Honestly, I don't think I have a choice :blush: Funny, I remember feeling the same way about the Arocs. Biggest Technic set ever? I have to get it.....even if I hate the set! I have to get it for the historical significance. For some reason, ever since I came back into the game I have felt compelled to get the biggest Technic sets available. *sigh* this one will be no different. Regardless of my feelings about the set. So..... Lego..... here is my wallet..... :hmpf_bad:

This thing will look great with my minifig/system scale construction sets!!

Edited by irispen

This thing will look great with my minifig/system scale construction sets!!

It shouldn't be hard to replace the Technic cab with a minifig one like this and you can go rampaging through your CITY with it. :classic:

Some people said it's not very realistic, but you have to remember if they made this look like (I know it's not), say a bagger 238, bagger might have an issue if it wasn't licensed.

I think a solution to making this model look better, would be to remove the back half of the main arm and mounting PF components inside the tracks/lower hull. Maybe add a cable system to elevate and lower the bucket. Then make the entire model not as wide, and use the older technic treads for the conveyor belts, that would cut down on the size too. It would be cool to convert it into something like this . http://www.fam.de/ge...6/tbt060202b002

Perfect timing for Sariel to start working on his bucket-wheel excavator.

Edited by Tommy Styrvoky

Wow it has at least 5 of the new turntable pieces, looks like a replacement for hailfire gears.

This was my first thought. Sandwich tracks between two sets of large turntable pieces and you've got quite a large wheel.

This thing is going to eat those bevel gears in the drive mechanism like candy.

The color mix doesn't bother me. I do find it funny that the walkway continues up the structure and all the way along the arm to the control gearbox.

Edited by rollermonkey

TLG did a good job this time with 4 sets to satisfy most AFOLs so I'd be thankful. Remember if u hate the BWE, well, 1st there are many of us who do like it much. 2nd, we didn't see yet all what it would offer to judge it fairly yet.

In the article on zusammengebaut.com they mention a price of 299 EUR: http://zusammengebau...nd-images-4160/

I had expected the Porsche to cost that much, but not this set despite the number of pieces.

http://brickset.com/sets/42055

It looks like this with 42042 would create a great MOC? or it will be the "ultimate BWE" ? and then maybe the Arocs would be its complimentary truck.

Some say its €300 and it may be logical although we would be happier if it was £180.

But comparing with the Arocs at 2800pieces/€200 vs 4000pieces/€300 we get 14pieces/€ vs 13.3pieces/€. This means Arocs (MB License included) is cheaper piece wise. So I dought this is the case, £180 ~ €235 makes more sense.

On the otherhand, the Porsche has big license fees and RC as we expect and makes more sense for €300

Edited by Samer

The color mix doesn't bother me. I do find it funny that the walkway continues up the structure and all the way along the arm to the control gearbox.

A minifig has to control it somehow! :P

question as I did not seen it been placed here, or correct me if I am wrong - but what the MKIII stands for ?

lego-technic-bucket-wheel-excavator-42055-power-functions-international-toy-fair-2016-zusammengebaut-andres-lehmann.jpg

3 motorize functions, the switches change the direction of functions, instead of changing the functions.

Upper switch rotates the superstructure.

Center switch control bucket wheel rotation and two conveyor belts. This switch can only be turned one direction because it doesn't make sense for the bucket wheel and the conveyor belts running backwards.

Lower switch move the two tracks which are linked by the same axle. In other words the BWE can not steer.

It seems like the switch on the battery box can only be turned in 1 direction (away from the wire).

Edited by nguyengiangoc

From those stickers, it looks like center switch is only to select slewing or driving and then those two other sticks on sides change direction of these functions.

Where's the switch for digging? Or could it be that digger and conveyors are always active when center stick is on slewing mode?

EDIT: Just watched the video and yes, turning center stick to slewing mode activated digger. So no slewing without digging and no digging when driving.

Edited by Meisseli