Jim

42055 - Bucket Wheel Excavator

Does anybody know what is the real life archetyp/brand of this model? never seen such a BWE as displayed now by lego...

BTW: yeah, a BWE has no needs to be a beaty but this display-model of lego is simply a color vomit - which is completely unnecessary.......

O&k is a manefacturer of such machnines

So it's 90 studs long (upper part wheel to battery box) 35-36 studs wide (base from left link belt to the other including them) and 46-47 studs high. In cm according to the converter that means 72 cm (L) X 38 cm (H) x 28 cm (W). Biggest technic set ever.

In my opinion the machine is realistic if you compare it to the right real life machine

http://smtg.se/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/sandvik_compact_bucket_wheel_excavator_0932996_low2.jpg

http://www.technischesmuseum.at/res/00/00/38/48/0000384862-Big-Display-Crop.jpg

http://www.ritchiewiki.com/wiki/files/DEMAG_HD800_Crawler_Bucket_Wheel_Excavator.jpg

it's not Bager 288 . It's huge machine but not the biggest model. It' compact BWE.

It's impossible for Lego team to create one box set with affordable price if they aim the for bigger ones. All that crane like structures and many link belts and second material dumb tracked vehicle connected via tracked line. At least 6000 parts.

I am happy with the current version. It' open for MOCing motorizing and so on

THis is the fifth largest LEGO set, according to Brickset (http://brickset.com/sets/list-9322). Of the largest LEGO sets, this one has arguably the most play features, unlike the other large sets which are for display only (Taj, Tower Bridge). While nominally the USD Millennium Falcon has play features, my son has three friends with one each, which are carefully displayed and not played with.

This BWE excavator, on the other hand, will be the ultimate LEGO technic toy box for many kids (and AFOLS) - 4,000 parts in one fell swoop opens a large number of possibilities. Including the mining truck gives the ability to design MOCs with wheels and PF, plus plenty of parts to build all types of tracked machines, etc... Really a brilliant design choice by TLG. Just waiting for the official US price to see if it is worth getting.

See reply #43 it's looks very similar to a Sandvik PE100 which is smaller version of its big brothers.

I like the new bucket, but I cannot understand if it s bigger than the old one?

Ok Lego, I get the message. I'm impressed. Technic has gone to a new level.

Is everyone happy now!?

H

This thing belongs in the center of a large GBC sequence. They could easily re-color/re-brand this into a GBC line of Technic products.

Actually, you are right it would make a great GBC! Just have the balls drop into a curved hopped and this picks them up and drops them off at the end of the conveyor!

Actually, you are right it would make a great GBC! Just have the balls drop into a curved hopped and this picks them up and drops them off at the end of the conveyor!

Just need to add some pins to the second part of the conveyor, otherwise the balls won't make it up the incline.

This is really an impressive set, but I think some of the ugliness issue could have been solved by recoloring the 5x7 frames in light grey to either dark bluish grey or black. Still, I think it looks lovely.

I find it ugly and unappealing, but my 5 year old wanted it immediately when he saw one photo (and he's not very interested in Lego nor heavy machines). If it's close to £200, he won't get it, not a chance, but clearly it has an appeal. :wink:

Bold move from Lego to do this set, not just another crane. :classic: The curved racks are an interesting part.

I'd be betting on £300-ish

Edited by Twelvebears

In my opinion the machine is realistic if you compare it to the right real life machine

http://smtg.se/wordp...932996_low2.jpg

http://www.technisch...isplay-Crop.jpg

http://www.ritchiewi...l_Excavator.jpg

it's not Bager 288 . It's huge machine but not the biggest model. It' compact BWE.

it looks most like the 2nd picture, but the ratio's are wrong. the conveyor at the back is waaaay to short, and the grey 'tower' is too high. the arm where the bucketwheel is located is quite right. the tracks are too big as well but i can understand that, it has to carry 3500 parts.

London toy fair quotes £179.99 for BWE.

Edited by Doug72

Eh. My hopes for a BWE were high, but I can't justify spending at least 300 dollars for this. Yes its big and will dwarf most if not all models, but that seems to be its only selling point. I'm not a fan of the color scheme and for a toy its function speed is extremely slow. Yes its realistic, but as a toy functions should be a little faster and smoother IMO. A good parts pack full of 5x7 frames but again too expensive. I commend TLG for making such a large model for Technic as it shows they are taking Technic even more seriously, but I think I'm going to pass on this.

Edit did not see the post stating its 179.99. This many parts for that price is a fantastic deal.

Edited by Rishab N

This would make a great GBC. It is probably not a good idea to run sand through it but if i had it i would be temped to try. Gravel might work though if the pieces are big enough. Wow at that price it sure is worth it.

I'm starting to think the Technic set designers have lost the plot? It's massive, nice, but it's features appear limited? for the price tag? and the B model, an "Agregate Processing Plant" just want every 16 year old wants!

Edited by paul_delahaye

£179.99, about $240.00 US. Considering that about half the parts are pins, connectors, and short axles, and only 1 motor/1 battery box, its an OK price. But you do get a bunch of those new curved pieces.

I feel like I might be alone in loving this set. I see a ton of new pieces that will be very handy, pieces in new colours, an XL motor (I dont have many of).. the list goes on.

I love sets that take me more than single day to assemble, and larger sets just make me feel like a kid again to play with.

The colour choices are interesting, but not too outlandish. The most recent pictures seem to show the set off better than the initial one did.

August will be a very expensive month for me!

Ok...but do you have an opinion on the bucket wheel excavator? :)

This thing belongs in the center of a large GBC sequence. They could easily re-color/re-brand this into a GBC line of Technic products.

After watching the video of the product, I agree with you. Someone should try it out and see how well it can run all day. :classic:

I shat myself.

Something you ate perhaps? :sick:

Edited by grum64

They must be throwing in the pins for free!

Let's say it's 1000 pins as a rough (conservative?) estimate. Seeing as most pins can be had quite literally for pennies from Bricklink, even if they were gratis that wouldn't be more than £10 of the set's cost. Hardly a fantastic sweetener!

But in all seriousness I agree, £180 MSRP is a great price - for instance, I'm pretty confident that this set would give me all the 5x7 frames and most of the flat panels I would ever need. Add the new circular gear racks, XL motor, buckets, gearbox/train parts and the set becomes a must buy for me even as a parts set alone.

Of course knowing my Lego manias (!), I will torture myself waiting for the price to come down to ~£120. Good thing that there a couple of less expensive but just as tempting sets I that can purchase in the meantime...

Edited by Jay Psi

On a closer examination of the video, I noticed the buckets are a new redesign with three attachment points, unlike 4 before. Also anyone else noticing a red 10 or 12 M axle? It could point to the Porsche being red? Or why else would it be needed in such color?