Jim

42055 - Bucket Wheel Excavator

From what I saw in the video, I think the BWE only has THREE motorized functions:

- Spinning the bucket wheel, which is connected to both the upper and lower conveyor belts.

- Spinning the super structure.

- Moving the tracks back and forth (tracks of both sides are linked).

There are 3 separate switches, so I think the setup is similar to that of the 42042: turning a switch changes the direction, not the function. The bucket wheel switch can only be turned in 1 direction, though.

Edited by nguyengiangoc

That thing is just not safe for hamsters to be around.

I think a tunnel boring machine would be a great C model based around those circular gears.

If I ever liked this set, now I definitively dislike it.

Relatively simple (and too slow) functions, ugly, unrealistic.

I think that the 42042 is a much bettet set, at half of the prize.

So, no PF 2.0 in this model? XL model looks to be the same as the one available now.

Well of course it is, did anyone think it wouldn't be?! :grin:

:blush: I was semi right..... guessed a mobile crushing plant

That thing is just not safe for hamsters to be around.

I think a tunnel boring machine would be a great C model based around those circular gears.

Oh, I think Sariel will keep his hamsters perfectly safe. It looks like a hamster amusement park... Maybe that is what this is.. A hamster amusement park... Hamsterland!

The wheel, like a Ferris wheel,

The tracked chutes. Like a fun house or a hamster Tunnle of Love!

Who knows what those hamsters are going to find!

I really want to see Sariel's video. Considering the size,this looks like a 4-6 hour Sariel assembly. Jim's assembly time could be 8 - 10 hours plus considering all his great assembly photos.

As for the size, close to 4,000 parts...

My guess...

1,000 pins

500 axels

500 track pieces

200-300 gears

So, that leaves maybe 2,000 beams and other Technic pieces. We shall see. Still a great parts pack for getting a new AFOL started into Technic, or a great addition to other Technic collectors inventory.

Me, I just want to build it! Large sets usually have lots of learning potential, lots of useful assembly techniques, kind of like a 4,000 piece classroom!

I guess I'm talking myself into this. When I first saw it, I thought... No way! Now I'm thinking classroom!

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

the slow function is to simulate as original. The original move/turn slowly due to the scale of the machine.

the slowness does not shock me. This is a very special model and a special design, in light of the video is a model that asks only to be customized! full RC ;)

And how about playabily. How easily does it pick up bricks? To me it seems you have to put the bricks in the buckets yourself.

I think Lego went too far in this, just to get to a nearly 4000 bricks score. Just can't see the fun part of this model. I hope it attracts enough buyers.

Edited by Bering

I shat myself.

Ok...but do you have an opinion on the bucket wheel excavator? :)

This thing belongs in the center of a large GBC sequence. They could easily re-color/re-brand this into a GBC line of Technic products.

total_06.jpg

My Bucket Wheel Excavator MOC from 2001 (!), see more at http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=9483

An now a LEGO Bucket Wheel Excavator set! Seeing the pictures from Nürnberg and following the discussion I have some mixed thoughts:

(+) Great to see a huge LEGO Technic set.

(-) Looks more like a parts collection rather then a cool model

(+) Great new pieces for large turntables (or a bucket wheel), these look very promissing to me

(-) The colors of the LEGO set seems to be randomized, maybe my very-very-old MOC with a yellow bucket inspired LEGO to come up with a yellow bucket themselves?

(+) New kind of machinery as LEGO set, not jet another truck or helicopter

(-) Just two tiny link treads for the complete machine? They opperate in muddy, non-solid conditions and they need big wide feeds. Even Wall-E looks better equiped with treads than this monster

(+) Lots of parts, good to start a Technic collection if you don't have one already

(-) The wheel looks great on the box. But the counterweight part? Just a tiny control board for the six functions? And the main upper frame? Is this the handle to throw away the complete thing?

(+) The extra truck, reminds me of the little Rebel Blockade Runner in the #10030 ISD

(-) they'd better spend these pieces in a longer arm and a real counterweight

(-) None of the typical strings or links are to be found which hold the main arm (or the missing counterweight arm), just tiny linear acturators

(?) I assume one XL motor is to weak to power all the functions. Especially the drive mechanism down in the under structure. From the video the motor seems to be far far away from the place where the power is needed.

(-) No high end functionality like the steering of the Claas tractor (or I haven't seen it so far)

Rarely a new LEGO set caused so much like and dislike at the same time for me. Normaly I like or dislike a set, but this one is ... different.

Holger

You could take a Robotics Instruction Set 2.0 set from the early 2000s and build something similar to this, with far fewer pieces and at a smaller scale (think of a candy/piece sorter on treads). But it's the largess of this set, coupled with the way the functions are routed from one motor, that makes it its selling point.

I shat myself.

Well, that's because you have to model it/GIF it for technicopedia :wink:

I don't think it's just me, the XL motor actually looks smaller, counting the number of studs next to it, and the fact it has no ridge on the back as current ones do. When I saw this, I think I became a born again technic fan. :laugh:

OMG, look at all those 3062b!!!! It's gonna be a treasure trove just for that :laugh:

I wonder if those new rack arches could be used with the normal racks to make a Technic/PF based monorail?

Cheers,

Ole

The structure with the buckets (basically the top part) is about 90 studs long :cry_happy: thank you Lego, I don,t care if its yellow.

Will be better that they will not to include that truck, BWE seems to be minifig scale but this truck is under minifig scale...

My hopes for great looking BWE are gone, this is set for playing not for displaying.But this is probably first lego GBC set?

There are many mining trucks, not all have to be 797's ;) Since the cabin uses a bunch of system parts maybe the 4202 would be better?

It would be cool if TLG included a minifig with this set :thumbup:

But yes, no need to actually include a mining truck if it's just the yellow one in white. Just give hints in the instructions that this particular model fits = more profit

I find it ugly and unappealing, but my 5 year old wanted it immediately when he saw one photo (and he's not very interested in Lego nor heavy machines). If it's close to £200, he won't get it, not a chance, but clearly it has an appeal. :wink:

Bold move from Lego to do this set, not just another crane. :classic: The curved racks are an interesting part.

I think the playability will be great, assuming that you can create a big pile of small somethings (I have a box with about 20k small lego parts in the kids room, so that won't be a problem). I'm sure that the kids will really enjoy how the machine picks up the stuff and delivers it to the truck.