Sign in to follow this  
davidmull

Mounting tracks to tables

Getting 4 tables 120x60 to build a layout. Will I have problems with tracks moving or slipping or how will i keep them from moving?

Just nail them to it.

Seriously. There's screw/nail holes in all the PR track, so just screw them down. It doesn't have to be every one, but that'll stop them moving,

You could ballast the track to base plates. The friction of all the baseplates on the table top will stop it from moving.

here is a great resource for ballasting track

http://l-gauge.org/wiki/index.php?title=Reference_Instructions

With time and work and lots of brick, you will be able to create a wonderful layout.

21429457624_15bd78f1e7_c.jpgMy LNER A4 Pacific, 'Mallard' negotiating Tony Sava's ME Rail curves with his beautiful scenary by Gareth Ellis, on Flickr

If you don't run your trains too fast into the curves, then the tracks won't move. Otherwise, there are different ways to secure them. If you're ok with holes in your tables, then nails or screws. Hole free methods include double sided tape or hot glue gun. If you plan to lay down baseplates, then you can secure the baseplates to the table and then the tracks to the baseplates. Also take into account if you're doing permanent or semi-permanent or temporary track work.