BrickCurve

[The Frozen Beyond- Cat. A] The Algus Affect

As Algus patrols begin to appear on the borders of northern Avalonia, the effect are far reaching. Snow clouds drifting from the north reach the hot Kaliphlin winds, the result is rain, rain falling in the wither woods turning the landscape from shades of reds and browns to a more lush, green forest.

Lord Parimere meets with one of the guard captains, commanding one of the wither wood outposts.

Guard Captain: Sir, do you think the Algus in Mitgardia could cause snow to fall in southern Kaliphlin? it would be a disaster!

Lord Parimere: If snow began to fall in Kaliphlin... Well as you say, it would be a disaster. The Algus must be stopped!

Guard Captain: I await you orders sir.

Lord Parimere: Well for a start we can send a detachment of cavalry north to assist Avalonia. It could then be followed by soldiers on foot. See to it Captain.

Guard Captain: At once Sir.

24512850191_7be7224ab3_c.jpg

2 weeks later...

​Kaliphlin soldiers are helping keep the argus at bay in Avalonia. It is hoped that the wither wood will dry out soon, we can't have Kaliphlin turning into a second Avalonia can we?

23944314314_cc9c05ed4a_c.jpg

Main images.

24595083635_a0d5a42c14_c.jpg

24572446095_68482ef522_c.jpg

Drat, I accidentally typed affect instead of effect. :laugh:

Edited by BrickCurve

Very interesting stretch on the challenge. I'm not sure about the absolute lack of snow, but nothing can spoil the fact that this is a truely gorgeous build! :wub:

Very interesting stretch on the challenge. I'm not sure about the absolute lack of snow, but nothing can spoil the fact that this is a truely gorgeous build! :wub:

Thanks, I don't know how familiar you are with the Kaliphlin map, but the parts of the wither woods that are on the coast (near eastgate) are actually far enough away for the snow not to have arrived there- and anyway it could always have melted... :wink:

that are two lovely builds! Great castle and vegetation!

Thanks!

Great pair of builds, I especially like your foliage! The rockwork on the first one is really nice as well! :thumbup:

The tower and vegetation looks really nudie in the first build, minifig posing in the second build is great!

Well done!

I like both builds. It seems you are developing your own style when it comes to architecture. I am going to make a aesthetic suggestion however. When you are doing your landscaping, I notice that the ground beneath is often very blocky and orderly. One way your trying to cover this is by using foliage, however if you were to choose 2 or 3 colors and try to blend them a bit better, it would make the entire build pop. The foliage wouldnt be a cover, it would be an add on.

You definitely have a nice and distinct style for your builds, I really like it. To me the foliage is definitely the highlight, the trees with the angled leafs in the first build are very well done, as is the "melting" of foliage and minifigures in the second build. I also really like how the tower is integrated into the rock with the underground-access.

While I think the tower is really well-built (especially the round top), I would suggest to use only three different colors instead of four. Tan, dark tan, grey, dark grey all equally used really seems a bit too much.

Also a nice approach to the category, and I really approve that you went the extra mile for two builds.

Excellent builds BrickCurve, the vegetation is superb, especially in your first one, and the rock-work and tower are really nice as well - loving those rock-stairs!

Nice builds! I especially like the feeling you manage to convey of new vegetation rushing up after the ground has been soaked in rain for the first time in a very long time :classic:

The tower and minifigs are also really good.

I agree however with the comments about the bricks and plates under the ground seen at the edges of the builds, its better to use a uniform color there (and maybe some variation of that and/or moderate texture in the same color).

I like both builds. It seems you are developing your own style when it comes to architecture. I am going to make a aesthetic suggestion however. When you are doing your landscaping, I notice that the ground beneath is often very blocky and orderly. One way your trying to cover this is by using foliage, however if you were to choose 2 or 3 colors and try to blend them a bit better, it would make the entire build pop. The foliage wouldnt be a cover, it would be an add on.

I really need to buy some more 1 x 2 plates in different colours (sand green). I have a couple of hundred coming in LUG bulk later in the year though so I might wait till then before ordering any more.

You definitely have a nice and distinct style for your builds, I really like it. To me the foliage is definitely the highlight, the trees with the angled leafs in the first build are very well done, as is the "melting" of foliage and minifigures in the second build. I also really like how the tower is integrated into the rock with the underground-access.

While I think the tower is really well-built (especially the round top), I would suggest to use only three different colors instead of four. Tan, dark tan, grey, dark grey all equally used really seems a bit too much.

Also a nice approach to the category, and I really approve that you went the extra mile for two builds.

Thanks, I have some more tan 1 x 2 rounds on order so I intend to implement a bit more order in the colour scheme of some of my MOCs in the near future.

Nice builds! I especially like the feeling you manage to convey of new vegetation rushing up after the ground has been soaked in rain for the first time in a very long time :classic:

The tower and minifigs are also really good.

I agree however with the comments about the bricks and plates under the ground seen at the edges of the builds, its better to use a uniform color there (and maybe some variation of that and/or moderate texture in the same color).

Thanks, I began to run out of 1 x 2 plates in dark tan about halfway through the build, I am really behind on sorting. My next MOC should be better. :classic:

Very pretty build, you still keep improving quickly :thumbup: I like your rockwork here, and how you included a staircase in it, plus the neat cave entrance.

Excellent tower as well :classic: