Sign in to follow this  
yogi_007

7-wide carriages with 3 wide end doors - ideas

Hi All,

I have building question which I am hoping that you great train builders can help me with.

I have decided to make my 6 wide carriages into 7 wide This is great as I can now have two rows of seats in the carriages.

BUT, I can seem to me the ends work. I need an end door that is 3 studs wide. I have tried some snot techniques including a 1x1 brick and 5 plates to make up the remaining 2 stud width and have dabbled with all vertical plates but have a 1/2 plate width left each side.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Yogi

3 studs = 7,5 plates. You can't avoid using panel 1×2×1 or brackets. These parts have half plate (0,5 plate) sides as well.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/AshiValkoinen/OtherTrainMOC/RHB-StadlerAllegra/allegra04_wip.png

From left to right on the door: SNOT bracket (0,5), white plate (1), one trans-clear brick (3), trans-clear plate (1), white plate (1), white tile (1), equals to 7,5 plates.

Can you show us a picture of your carriage? Depending on the rest of the shape there may be several solutions.

Well that's not looking bad at all. Actually very clever using TECHNIC liftarms. They fit perfectly being half a brick wide

I like this solution too, and it is even possible to use longer liftarms, e.g 6 long = 5 bricks high

I agree with the others, this is looking pretty good.

The only alternative I could think of to get rid of the rounded ends of the Technic plates would be to put 1x6 tiles either side of the window. That would leave a 1/4 plate gap between your door and the windows.

Just put it into MLCad to show you what I mean:

24555572512_015719a0c3_z.jpg

3 Wide Door Idea by Duq, on Flickr

Thanks all for your suggestions. Ive used the tile idea on the sides of a 2 stud wide door. Its all in black so the small 1/4 width on each side of the door is mostly hidden.

Again thank for you help :)